Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2012 4:16:39 PM EDT
I live in VA and have lost power several times and to the point where I think having a whole house NG generator installed would be prudent.  I'm awaiting the generator guy to come out an do a load survey but using "gettingstarted's" logic from this Generator Sizing Thread, I'm considering either a 16kW or a 20kW (18kW on NG) Generac (currently on sale at Lowes):

Generac 20kW

Generac 16kW

Each includes the Generac 200 amp Smart Transfer Switch, digital controller, fascia and mounting pad which are much cheaper in this kit than if bought separately.  I would pre-build the appropriate pad (4" pea gravel or concrete) and the final install would be within 10 feet of the house and about 12 feet from the NG line and meter.  

How much do you think it would cost to have the pros do the install?  Also, anything else I may need to consider for the install or that I should ask?  TIA.

ETA:  The generator guy had to cancel because they booked him to work the store and do surveys at the same time, so surveys lost.  He did tell me that the cost for a 20kW Generac 5896 with install to a single box service was $8417, $9600 with two box service and the price did not include the cost to perform the NG hook up, any line work or meter issues.    

Holy Shit Batman...So, the generator is $4130 and install is $4287 without NG hook up...

I guess I will move to Plan B since the budget isn't that flush.  Heck, I could fly some of you guys in and probably do it for less.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 20K Generac and transfer switch from Home Depot. It was installed last April by Canter Electric of NC (Home Depot recommended installer).  They gave me a 10 yr warranty, if I pay the $274.00 annual maintenance fee, which is admittedly high.   They also arranged 0%/ 1 year financing from Home Depot, which was helpful to me financially.  Total costs, including tank and first propane fill, were around $14,500.00.   The generator and switch were $4500.00 plus tax.  Installation was about $5400.00 including inspections.  The tank was about $2300.00 for all parts and installation. Burial was another $1000.00. This is usually only $300.00 or $400.00 but the installers hit a boulder and spent a full day getting it out.  

For the last 20 years I'd been running on a 6K gen with a transfer switch I installed myself.  Covered most needs, but no heat or air.  I got hurt, last Feb. and couldn't move or start my gas generator, so I decided to face reality.  Anyway, I knew that there were engine and circuit board problems with earlier Generac systems, but I did some checking and those have been fixed (supposedly).  Canter had replaced over 400 circuit boards under warranty a couple years ago.  

Bottom line, the generator automatically did its own self tests since installation.  It came on automatically after last Friday's storm and has been running for six days straight.  I won't get power for another two days.  Canter gave me better service and response to queries than some of the local guys who gave me quotes.  Canter is big enough to put their service people up in VA hotels when hurricanes are predicted.  Most of the local installers were cheaper, but there were only a couple guys who were certified on the equipment.  And if I get really sick, I don't want to wait around for the one guy who knows what he's doing, especially after a major storm.  

Good Luck
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Okay - how much should I expect to spend to have a pro install a Kohler 20kW?

my FIL lives in eastern PA and was just quoted $6500 for a 20KW Kohler installed.  in his case, the generator pad will be just outside opposite the main breaker box, so there is minimal conduit and wiring to be run, and he is on propane so there is no issue with needing a larger capacity natural gas meter.

read the following links in their entirety, especially with respect to the gas meter capacity upgrade and gas line sizing.

http://www.indovina.us/~mai/generator/
and
http://www.rowand.net/Family/House/Generator/

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:31:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Have a Generac 20kw propane fuel generator that cost around 4k. Electrical install around $1200 and plumbing around $800.
Also have a 500 gallon tank. Worry free since 2008 and do my own oil and filter changes. got it from www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com-save money this way and shop locally for your electric and plumbing install. Dont do the whole turnkey from a large company you will pay too much.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:39:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Have a Generac 20kw propane fuel generator that cost around 4k. Electrical install around $1200 and plumbing around $800.
Also have a 500 gallon tank. Worry free since 2008 and do my own oil and filter changes. got it from www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com-save money this way and shop locally for your electric and plumbing install. Dont do the whole turnkey from a large company you will pay too much.

I keep thinking about a similar arrangement, but the fuel consumption of a 20kW generator is huge - nearly 2gal/hr at half load. Even the 8kW sets pull almost a gallon an hour. A 500gal tank at full capacity is 400gal, so the 20kW gives you about eight days of run time... and then the two-thousand-dollar bill to refill the tank.

Not saying it's not worth it; just being aware of the full costs that could be involved is important. If you're on a NG line (we're not) it'd be much less of a concern (to me) - no worries about resupply and NG is much cheaper than LP.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:03:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the responses, advice and links posted so far; I'll make sure I check them out.  The Lowes generator rep is coming by tomorrow morning, I'll be sure to post the results.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#8]
We put in a new Kohler 30KW genset (natty gas) when we built our new place. About 15K installed. I can EASILY do my own oil/filter jobs every 25 hours ( my rule-not theirs). It has saved us many times. One particular run was 90 plus hours. It runs the WHOLE house including all three AC units. It took a different gas supply than the household appliances which cost maybe $100 ( different psi for the genset––same supply from the road). We are VERY happy with the results. It has come online maybe twenty times since we moved in. Sometimes for only 20 minutes––others for several hours.

I have heard , at least in our area, that Generac lacks severely on the service end. I also like that the Kohler unit has an ACTUAL 4 cylinder engine in it. The Kohler auto transfer unit is of commercial quality. We have had zero problems.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 9:12:42 AM EDT
[#9]
The generator guy had to cancel because they booked him to work the store and do surveys at the same time, so surveys lost.  He did tell me that the cost for a 20kW Generac 5896 with install to a single box service was $8417, $9600 with two box service and the price did not include the cost to perform the NG hook up, any line work or meter issues.    

Holy Shit Batman...So, the generator is $4130 and install is $4287 without NG hook up...

I guess I will move to Plan B since the budget isn't that flush.  Heck, I could fly some of you guys in and probably do it for less.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top