Site Notices
4/17/2014 3:33:50 PM
Author
"The truth is...."
NRA
Posted: 6/26/2012 5:53:48 PM

THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
We got a new Maytag front loading washer. Got good reviews, other than a common and ominus 'It walks'.

Well, we did a test load in it. Nice and quiet, till the spin cycle! Sounded and felt like a helicopter was hovering over the house. Go out in the garage, and see that it has walked a good 3 feet from the wall, held basically only by the braided stainless steel water hoses!

Garage has a bare concrete floor. I'm thinking I can put down a thick rubber mat, will that help?
Life Member: NRA
hobbsar
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/27/2012 12:19:26 AM
Level the machine and balance the load.

If that doesn't work, cut it's legs off.
Growing old is inevitible. Growing up is optional.
downrivertrash
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/27/2012 2:34:55 AM
Rubber mat will help but you should make sure its level first. Also watch how you load it, even a leveled washer with a heavy load can start wanting to walk. If you dont want to cut the legs then maybe a good stiff whack with a bat will teach it a lesson.
ARinKCMO
"The truth is...."
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/27/2012 6:38:19 AM
I had it level. But, the garage floor does slope away slightly for the drain. Hrmmmmm....we'll try another load to see if it was a balance issue.
rob78
Professional Hobbyist
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/27/2012 7:20:16 AM
Originally Posted By ARinKCMO:
I had it level. But, the garage floor does slope away slightly for the drain. Hrmmmmm....we'll try another load to see if it was a balance issue.

Did you remove the drum bolts in the back?

They use ~3" long bolts to hold the drum stationary during travel. You're supposed to remove them prior to using the machine. The instructions aren't usually clear about this.

The bolts are located on the back of the machine.

If you've already removed the packing bolts, you'll need to level the machine as mentioned above.
"A goverment that's big enough to do everything for us, is powerful enough to do anything to us."
--Fred Dalton Thompson

"History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives."
sloopmp
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/27/2012 7:57:28 AM
I had the same problem at a rental. Ended up buying a "stall mat" from Tractor Supply. Very heavy, and stopped the renter from bitchin. I've heard you can also use swimming " noodles" to wedge the washer/dryer in place. Mike.
effinNewGuy
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/27/2012 8:03:37 AM
Hobble that fucker.

Remember that Stephen King movie, Misery?
wildearp
Get off my lawn!
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/27/2012 12:03:02 PM
I have a Maytag front loader on slick porcelain tile. It hasn't moved even a fraction of an inch. Something is not right with yours.
Those units should sense an off balance load and do a stop, reverse, jog sequence to balance it out. It is pretty effective. You may have a sensor or controller issue.

My dryer is stacked on top too, but I doubt that makes much of a difference.
Simple Solutions to Complex problems.
SEMPER FI, DO OR DIE!
rob78
Professional Hobbyist
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/27/2012 2:08:35 PM
Originally Posted By wildearp:
I have a Maytag front loader on slick porcelain tile. It hasn't moved even a fraction of an inch. Something is not right with yours.
Those units should sense an off balance load and do a stop, reverse, jog sequence to balance it out. It is pretty effective. You may have a sensor or controller issue.

My dryer is stacked on top too, but I doubt that makes much of a difference.

If he installed this himself, I'm betting good money that he didn't remove the drum bolts from the back of the machine.

I know, I did the same thing. The SOB will try to walk up the wall if you don't remove these bolts before using it.

They're fairly long bolts, 3"+, and sometimes seperated from the back sheetmetal by a plastic "doohickey".
"A goverment that's big enough to do everything for us, is powerful enough to do anything to us."
--Fred Dalton Thompson

"History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives."
ARinKCMO
"The truth is...."
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/5/2012 5:08:45 PM
Yeah, bolts are out.

I put a piece of folded carpet under it. Stopped it from walking around the garage.