Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2012 9:20:49 AM EDT
Last summer I heard a loud dripping sound. I did some investigating and found that the condensation line going from the AC unit in the attic drained into a pvc pipe that had a trap at the bottom. The water fell about 8 feet to the water in the top of the trap, which echoed through the pipe and was loud enough to wake you up at night. The washing machine discharge also leads into this pipe, so what I did (which was a quick fix and worked pretty well) was place a sock on top of the discharge line, so the water would fall from the condensation line in the AC unit, hit the sock, the sock would soak, and then the water would fall.

I figured the sock probably wasn't a good idea, so I wanted to run flexible tubing directly from the condensation line down. At first I wanted the tubing to go all the way into the water line at the p trap, but when the hose was below the waterline the condensation line stopped draining and started to back up (i'm not sure but I may have discovered some sort of new fluid dynamical property- will look into it later). I cut the hose so it ends above the water line, but now I'm back to the dripping sound problem. The sound comes out of the opening that the washing machine discharge hose sticks into. I brought back the trusty sock and wrapped it around the discharge hose that sticks into the opening, which muffled the sound, but I'd like to get rid of the sock entirely. What's the correct way to solve this problem?

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 9:28:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Bend or otherwise move the drain from the a/c so that the water doesn't drip but runs down the inside of the pipe.

If necessary put some sort of diverter on it so the water moves over to the side of the pipe.

F5 F5 F5

Pics of GF are not loading !!!

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 9:42:17 AM EDT
[#2]
That wont work. A pvc line comes out of the ac unit and had a 90 which was stuck into the top of the draining pipe. I cut the pvc at the 90, put a hosebarb on it and stuck the tubing on the hosebarb and down the drainage pipe. The easy fix would be to have the tubing run from the line out of the house into a gutter or something, but I assume it would have to have a trap in the line somewhere
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Take out the PVC tubing and tie a piece of string onto the hose barb. Make the string long enough to reach the trap bottom - or longer, it doesn't matter. Orient the string so that the water runs onto it. The water will run down the string to the bottom of the trap and not drip. It's called surface tension and capillary action.

Link Posted: 5/29/2012 7:17:33 AM EDT
[#4]
kiwi is on to something...

maybe try cutting the pvc at a shallow angle so it basically tapers to a sharp point heat it so you can bend it to rub on the pipe wall
if its against the outside wall of the P trap it should just run down and not drip down
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#5]
The drain line is supposed to end ABOVE the pipe it is draining into.

The air gap is for safety.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 4:07:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Im definitely going to try the string trick. that was a good idea.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 6:26:20 PM EDT
[#7]
put a reducing coupling up in the attic like a 2x4 that will make a funnel at the top
put a 90 on the end of the hose so that it rests on the funnel
this will maintain your air gap and cause the water to run down the side of the pipe all the way down
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top