Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2011 12:46:20 AM EDT
Have a generator with a Subaru  EX 30D engine that puts out 10hp and want to convert it over to natural gas to eliminate gas cans and trips for gasoline during hurricane season. Already have an extra gas line installed as the natural gas source.

This is the kit I am looking at to do the conversion.http://www.propanecarbs.com/naturalgaskits.html

I understand there is a power drop using natural gas vs. gasoline.

Anyone have first hand experience with this type of conversion?

Thanks in advance for any info, experience/advice into one of these conversions.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 4:03:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I have installed a few LPG systems on Honda GX general purpose engines and ES6500 generators. CNG has a slightly lower BTU rating than LPG.

In simple terms, if the generator you have is sized properly for the load it is pulling, you will never notice the difference.

Say you have a 5000w gen that is "normally"  loaded to 3500 watts. This is enough of a safe margin that the engine will pull the load OK.

If the load is 4500 or near the rated output, the engine will likely not provede the power to keep the RPM steady. This is the hard way to find out if your gen is large enough!

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#2]
converted my 3500 watt honda genny with a tri-fuel kit from propane generators

it was an easy install since it's bolt on and I haven't noticed any difference in output

It ran 8 hours without a hiccup a few weeks ago after a storm

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
converted my 3500 watt honda genny with a tri-fuel kit from propane generators

it was an easy install since it's bolt on and I haven't noticed any difference in output

It ran 8 hours without a hiccup a few weeks ago after a storm

I did the same. Ran mine for 7 days straight, except for oil changes, on natural gas. Same one runs on Propane at new house now with same tri-fuel kit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top