10/30/2014 3:55:04 PM
Page:  / 8
Author
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/29/2009 9:01:58 AM

Originally Posted By wise_jake:

Yup, a Circuit Split. Thank you, NRA.

Thank you Alan Gura, Bob Levy, Dick Heller and the Cato Institute or there would be no circuit dissension.
Tom_King
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/29/2009 11:09:48 AM
Originally Posted By rkbar15:

Yup, a Circuit Split. Thank you, NRA.

Thank you Alan Gura, Bob Levy, Dick Heller and the Cato Institute or there would be no circuit dissension.

Yup! And thank you New York State Rifle & Pistol Association and the 40 other NRA affiliates who filed Amicus briefs.

TK

"All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke, circa 1760
rkbar15
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/8/2009 12:16:51 PM
DonMn
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/9/2009 11:31:09 AM
Sorry if this question has been asked, I'll make a statement regaurding my question first to put it in context. I used to be an NRA member, but I got sick of being sent mail from the NRA every other day asking me to make a donation. I haven't been an NRA member for a few years and I still get mail from the NRA asking for donations.

So here is my question, is there anyway I can join the NRA again and not get flooded with mail from the NRA asking for more money? A number I can call, a box to check off?

I don't mind some letters here and there, but it was a little over the top.
Mach
Where'd who go?
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/9/2009 12:01:50 PM
Tom,

Please bring the word WEAPON back into the NRA dictionary. Being PC and not talking about weapons as weapons undermines the 2nd Amendment and the entire reason of keeping and baring arms. It's not about the "shooting sports", although they are fun. It's about the "security of a free state". Not using the word "weapon" leads to regulations restricting " non-sporting" guns and fuels the liberal mindset that the 2nd is about hunting and target shooting.

Thanks.
Mach

"Everybody's scared. It's what you do right now that makes a difference."
Black hawk Down

Tom_King
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/10/2009 11:10:50 AM
Originally Posted By DonMn:
Sorry if this question has been asked, I'll make a statement regaurding my question first to put it in context. I used to be an NRA member, but I got sick of being sent mail from the NRA every other day asking me to make a donation. I haven't been an NRA member for a few years and I still get mail from the NRA asking for donations.

So here is my question, is there anyway I can join the NRA again and not get flooded with mail from the NRA asking for more money? A number I can call, a box to check off?

I'm pretty sure if you contact Membership Services and make that request they can make it happen.
"All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke, circa 1760
Tom_King
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/10/2009 11:14:17 AM
Originally Posted By Mach:
Tom,

Please bring the word WEAPON back into the NRA dictionary. Being PC and not talking about weapons as weapons undermines the 2nd Amendment and the entire reason of keeping and baring arms. It's not about the "shooting sports", although they are fun. It's about the "security of a free state". Not using the word "weapon" leads to regulations restricting " non-sporting" guns and fuels the liberal mindset that the 2nd is about hunting and target shooting.

Thanks.

I think you'll find that the NRA when speaking generically uses the term firearms or arms and this is in line with the terminology used by the Founding Fathers in their writings.

TK
belchfire
FFL/C&R
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/10/2009 11:33:14 AM
What can be done to repeal the machine gun ban 922 (0); in my opinion an unlawful elimination of new machine gun registration since 1986. If the NRA has other priorities could the NRA help organize or lead a plan to get it done?

Remember not only new MGs are stopped with this amendment but restoration by dedicated lawful enthusiast of old MGs that are part of our history.

We are witnessing history being destroyed by this amendment.

Thanks for your time
http://secondamendmentmarch.com/
Second Amendment March! 2010
rkbar15
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/10/2009 11:36:26 AM
Control of Personal Information - Opt Out

We also use your membership information to send you notices in the mail or by email about special member benefits, discounts, and offers. If you do not wish to receive these mailings, you can: (1) opt-out of email lists immediately by following the instructions at the bottom of the email, (2) email us using our Contact Us page, (3) call us at 1-800-672-3888, (4) write to us at National Rifle Association of America, 11250 Waples Mill Road; Fairfax, VA 22030.

Editing Your Personal Information

You may edit your personal information—change name and address information, etc.: (1) on our account maintenance web site, www.NRAMemberServices.org, (2) call us at 1-800-672-3888, (3) write to us at National Rifle Association of America, 11250 Waples Mill Road; Fairfax, VA 22030.
Tom_King
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/10/2009 1:00:44 PM
Originally Posted By belchfire:
What can be done to repeal the machine gun ban 922 (0); in my opinion an unlawful elimination of new machine gun registration since 1986. If the NRA has other priorities could the NRA help organize or lead a plan to get it done?

Remember not only new MGs are stopped with this amendment but restoration by dedicated lawful enthusiast of old MGs that are part of our history.

Thanks for your time

There are always on going discussions regarding this but I simply don't know when it will come to fruition.
belchfire
FFL/C&R
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/10/2009 1:50:55 PM
Originally Posted By Tom_King:

Thanks for your time

There are always on going discussions regarding this but I simply don't know when it will come to fruition.

That is the typical answer I get from correspondence with the NRA on this subject. For lack of a better description I call it avoidance of the question.

It would be so reassuring to see just one mention of this subject in American Rifleman. Make it clear that the NRA believes that this is a violation of the second amendment.

Just come clean and announce the NRA’s standing on the subject. 922 (0) in place clearly shows government can with out a fight eliminate a class of weapons with no proof of violations or danger to the public. In fact NFA firearm owners as a group have the most lawful history of any group or organization.

Note I may disagree or be disappointed in your, or the NRA’s position or answers but I do appreciate the response to my questions and concerns.

Tom_King
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/10/2009 2:36:33 PM

Thanks for your time

That is the typical answer I get from correspondence with the NRA on this subject. For lack of a better description I call it avoidance of the question.

It would be so reassuring to see just one mention of this subject in American Rifleman. Make it clear that the NRA believes that this is a violation of the second amendment.

Just come clean and announce the NRA’s standing on the subject. 922 (0) in place clearly shows government can with out a fight eliminate a class of weapons with no proof of violations or danger to the public. In fact NFA firearm owners as a group have the most lawful history of any group or organization.

Note I may disagree or be disappointed in your, or the NRA’s position or answers but I do appreciate the response to my questions and concerns.

You may think of that as an avoidance answer but it is not. There are many issues on the NRA table that are often discussed at length but unfortunately political climate and opportunity dictates when it is viable and prudent to raise and push for these issues. Remember we have a President and Congressional leaders who are vehemently anti gun with the wherewithal to derail any political initiative they decide to expend the political currency on. Nothing is off the table
wise_jake
NRA Legacy Life Member, and unrepentant Old Whig
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/10/2009 2:50:55 PM
[Last Edit: 8/10/2009 2:51:55 PM by wise_jake]

I believe user "kissfan" has a 1-800 number in his signature line that you can call.

ETA: Whoops; nevermind... thank you Tom and rkbar15.
"Have you run any of this by NASCAR?"
belchfire
FFL/C&R
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/10/2009 3:09:23 PM

Thanks for your time

You may think of that as an avoidance answer but it is not. There are many issues on the NRA table that are often discussed at length but unfortunately political climate and opportunity dictates when it is viable and prudent to raise and push for these issues. Remember we have a President and Congressional leaders who are vehemently anti gun with the wherewithal to derail any political initiative they decide to expend the political currency on. Nothing is off the table

Would you or the NRA go on record as saying 922 (0) is wrong and should be dealt with in the future?

DonMn
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/10/2009 7:05:43 PM

I'm pretty sure if you contact Membership Services and make that request they can make it happen.

Okay, thanks for the timely reply.

Tom_King
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/11/2009 10:31:48 AM

Thanks for your time

Would you or the NRA go on record as saying 922 (0) is wrong and should be dealt with in the future?

I personally believe that any firearm should be legal for any lawful citizen of the United States to own.
Mach
Where'd who go?
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/11/2009 11:02:56 AM
Originally Posted By Mach:
Tom,

Thanks.

I think you'll find that the NRA when speaking generically uses the term firearms or arms and this is in line with the terminology used by the Founding Fathers in their writings.

TK

Never really thought of it that way before. Now I understand, thanks

Mach

"shall not be infringed"
DCtargetmilitia
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/20/2009 2:59:50 AM
I just don't understand why there are so many restrictions and prohibitions against crossbows. It seems that they can be used for many of the same purposes as firearms, such as hunting, target shooting, and even self defense, etc.

What political powers are seeking to disarm archery enthusiasts, and has the NRA organized or worked at a state level to restore the rights of people who want to own and use crossbows?

More generally, does the NRA have an interest in defending the 2nd Amendment, as it pertains to non-firearms?

Just wondering. Thanks for being here.
wise_jake
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/20/2009 9:14:00 AM

Originally Posted By DCtargetmilitia:
I just don't understand why there are so many restrictions and prohibitions against crossbows. It seems that they can be used for many of the same purposes as firearms, such as hunting, target shooting, and even self defense, etc.

What political powers are seeking to disarm archery enthusiasts, and has the NRA organized or worked at a state level to restore the rights of people who want to own and use crossbows?

More generally, does the NRA have an interest in defending the 2nd Amendment, as it pertains to non-firearms?

Not purporting to answer for Tom, as I, too, would like to know the "NRA Answer" on this, but I just wanted to point out that it seems to be my recollection that most of the restrictions and prohibitions against crossbows seem to come at the state (versus federal) level, and [thus] the respective state-level association would probably be a better (though certainly not the only) vehicle with which to attack and overturn these prohibitions. I may be wrong in my recollection/assessment, but that's what I seem to remember from high school, when me and another guy built crossbows (albeit from kits) in woodshop.
Tom_King
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/20/2009 9:27:33 PM
Originally Posted By DCtargetmilitia:

The restrictions and limitations imposed on crossbows, at least in NYS, are the result of lobbying by traditional and compound bow organizations. Legislation to legalize crossbow deer hunting has been proposed in NYS and supported by the NRA but has been stymied by anti crossbow lobbying. Crossbows are legal for all other purposes in NYS but I'm not sure of regulations in other states.
wise_jake
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/23/2009 1:52:40 PM
Hey Tom, can you comment any or at all on the situation in occupied Pennsylvania?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=907402

I know things generally start at the state-affiliate level, but is this yet on the NRA's radar?

As a non-Pennsylvanian I am not quite up on what PRPA is doing "locally" (that is, at the state level), nor what NRA may or may not be doing [at this point] in Pennsylvania.
DCtargetmilitia
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/25/2009 1:05:24 AM
Thanks Bill, for the speedy reply! I've never even heard of the anti-crossbow lobbyists before! Strange that archery groups would be involved. I think we could squash the prohibitions on crossbows if the NRA and gun owners would stand behind it. Statistically they are safer and less dangerous than even a sport/utility rifle?

I live in DC and I really liked Senator Ensign's amendment to the DC Voting Rights act to eliminate federal income tax, I was kind of bummed that the NRA-backed Second Amendment Enforcement Act said "firearm" and not a more general term that would allow for crossbows. Imagine: legally target shooting in your urban backyard without making any noise or alarming the neighborhood.
Tom_King
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/25/2009 3:41:16 PM
Hey Tom, can you comment any or at all on the situation in occupied Pennsylvania?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=907402

I know things generally start at the state-affiliate level, but is this yet on the NRA's radar?

As a non-Pennsylvanian I am not quite up on what PRPA is doing "locally" (that is, at the state level), nor what NRA may or may not be doing [at this point] in Pennsylvania.

Jake,

I can't really comment on this situation since I don't know much about it but let me explain how this works in NYS. When something like this comes up we are usually contacted by the shop owners with a detailed explanation of the situation. We make the appropriate local contacts in an attempt to solve the problem; if unsuccessful I refer the situation to the proper people in Fairfax for handling. The NRA Directors from Pennsylvania are good people and would jump right in if notified. I'll give them a call to find out if they are aware of the situation.

Tom King
Her-Chevy
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/28/2009 7:45:39 PM
[Last Edit: 8/28/2009 9:19:02 PM by VA-gunnut]
Edited...stop passing along all this bogus info...VA-gunnut
Page:  / 8