Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2017 12:55:29 AM EDT
I just got back into vinyl and upgraded my gear over the last year or so.

I dug out my old 1980 Pioneer PL-300 turntable from the basement and fired it up and use deodorant it for a few months, but the motor is getting flaky.

I started doing some research and ended up getting a White 2016 Rega Planar 3 and an Ortofon 2m Bronze.  This thing sounded incredible, but being the tweeker I am, I had to do some mods.

I added a TT-PSU (external power supply) and an Isokinetik 3mm spacer to the tonearm.  Spacer was so heavier weight LPs would work correctly.

Then I added an Isokinetik counterweight so I could close the lid with the 3mm spacer installed.

Sound keeps better better.

Added some more tweeks...

Groovetracer Reference Subplatter

Michael Lim dual belt pully and a couple Lim belts.

Achromat platter mat.

Sound is better now then on some 96/24 FLACs that I have in vinyl and digital.

Last update so far...

Replaced the Bronze stylus with a 2m Black stylus, as the Bronze and Black use the same body.  The Black uses a Shibata diamond.

The Black is still breaking in, but after about 15 hours on it, the sound is incredible.  Like nothing I have heard before.  I can hear things on LPs (and music I have both on FLAC and vinyl) that I had never heard before.  The new stylus pulls sound out of the grooves like a giant vacuum.

To say I am happy with my setup would be an extreme understatement.  The Planar 3 isn't a Planar 3 anymore.  It is way beyond it.

Mission accomplished...

For now.  

Edit:  a nice Groovetracer delrin platter might be cool...

Here is a photo of the Groovetracer reference subplatter with the Lim double pully and belts.

Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice work!

We need a good TT/Vinyl thread!
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#2]

VPI HW 19 JR
Rega RB300 Arm
Creek phono preamp

Crappy Grado Black cartridge.  Used to have a Denon DL103D MC cartridge that was awesome - ran it through a pair of Sowter step up transformers in a project box into a MM preamp.  Loved that cartridge. My kid trashed it when he was 3.  That was 7 years ago, so maybe it's time for an upgrade.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I run an older Marantz and Hitachi setup.

Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:31:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had the same Thorens TD 160 since I bought it in Germany in the mid 70s
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had the same Thorens TD 160 since I bought it in Germany in the mid 70s
View Quote
You know the rules...  Pictures please.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wasn't ready for that but... it's tucked away in my stereo cabinet and kind of hard to get a decent pic of. I really want to get it to the lake house but it'll be on the second floor of a kind of wobbly house. Not sure how that's going to work out

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:34:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I wasn't ready for that but... it's tucked away in my stereo cabinet and kind of hard to get a decent pic of. I really want to get it to the lake house but it'll be on the second floor of a kind of wobbly house. Not sure how that's going to work out

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/177202/IMG-0146-215134.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/177202/IMG-0146-215134.JPG
Very nice!
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:51:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Pioneer PL600 with Sure v15 type IV cartridge. Emotiva preamp.

Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#9]
My current main table:

VPI Scoutmaster, JMW Memorial 9" arm, Soundsmith CI, Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star cart, Signal Cable Silver Resolution Reference interconnects going to a Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE II phono stage.  Table is sitting on  a 2.75" maple Boos Block supported by MapleShade IsoBlocks.  I tried a Gingko Cloud 11 and I much prefer the Boos Block.  Much cheaper, better isolation and better dynamics--especially the lows.

DSOTM Japanese Odeon 1st pressing w/ solid blue triangle at home on the VPI.

MIMC Star riding slightly tail down VTA.

Black Cube SE II

ETA lets keep this thread going!  Love seeing everyone's TT/vinyl setups!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I need a turntable to spin .50 brass while I anneal it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Two turntables and a microphone.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Picture of the 2M Black in action

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Just getting back into HiFi...nothing too impressive yet but this is what I have now:

Attachment Attached File

Thinking about Nagaoka MP-500 which is a bit overkill for this turntable which will probably force a turntable upgrade. Been listening to them on youtube/etc and that thing sounds very impressive.  Most of my stuff is FLAC on a media server, probably up to 50 or so records at this point. That's an Akai BT500 btw into-> Schiit Mani -> Emotiva UMC200 (just retired my Carver CT29v)-> ATI 1505 -> Legacy Audio FOCUS speakers.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just getting back into HiFi...nothing too impressive yet but this is what I have now:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/320669/IMG_0748-288562.JPG

Thinking about Nagaoka MP-500 which is a bit overkill for this turntable which will probably force a turntable upgrade. Been listening to them on youtube/etc and that thing sounds very impressive.  Most of my stuff is FLAC on a media server, probably up to 50 or so records at this point. That's an Akai BT500 btw into-> Schiit Mani -> Emotiva UMC200 (just retired my Carver CT29v)-> ATI 1505 -> Legacy Audio FOCUS speakers.
View Quote
Very nice!

I love my Schiit Mani.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:57:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pioneer PL600 with Sure v15 type IV cartridge. Emotiva preamp.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm77/hardgear/20170523_220924_1.jpg
View Quote
Pioneer made some damn good turntables.  I still have my PL-300 I bought in high school in 1980.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top