Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2017 1:09:02 AM EDT
I'm annoyed by buying movies, and lately I quit buying them.
The problem is do I buy the 3D bluray + blueray + DVD + Digital, or do I buy 4K UHD + blueray + DVD + digital?

I like 3D a lot. My 8 yr old son loves 3D too. My wife hates it, 3D hurts her eyes by the end of a movie.
I own a 4K 3D Sony (but not UHD? I don't get it), and I'm about to get a new oppo 4K 203 player.

Unfortunately TV makers are dropping 3D from their new TVs. I'm disappointed.  I was hoping for a 4K/3D/OLED/75"+ when the price goes down from the ridiculous $20K.

When buying a movie do you get the 4K or the 3D set?
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 2:09:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I prefer 3D to 4K/HDR at home but I fear soon that you'll only get to see new movies in 3D at the theater.

My 2013 Samsung plasma had 3D and was great until it decided to not turn on anymore last year.  Very disappointing that it only lasted 3 years so Samsung is now on my do-not-buy list.

When I replaced it I was choosing between an LG 3D 4K or a Sony 4K.  After much research I decided that 3D shouldn't be the determining factor because I'd be limited to present and past movies as potentially future movies won't be offered in 3D on Blu-Ray.  So I got the Sony because it's supposed to have a better panel and upscaling processor, and have been happy with the picture quality though the Android user interface is (to me at least) clunky, slow, and annoying.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 6:49:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah 3D Home is dead.  It's a shame, but it never really took off at home.    So stockpile your favorite 3D titles and devices now.

Whenever possible, I 'get both'.  There are few 4K discs that have both the bluray and 3D bluray versions included (as well as the Digital Copy.)  Passengers is one of those titles.  

And 4K bluray might be about to overcome it's last major hurdle--Disney.  Disney has been holding out on the 4K front much to the chagrin of many (give me my Star Wars in 4K damnit!!!) leaving physical 4K media still in doubt.  Well, it appears that may be changing.

A couple months back there was an article about Disney licensing all the Iron Mans to Concorde Entertainment for a 4K Germany release.  I thought it would be just another rumor--but check out this link on Amazon.de....

Der Iron Mann, ja!!

If that is legit then the flood gates will be opening soon and Disney is in the 4K/DV game.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:29:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Since you buy both 3D and 4K in the same titles, which is more enjoyable to you?
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since you buy both 3D and 4K in the same titles, which is more enjoyable to you?
View Quote
4K HDR.  If you could make the colors in 3D even close to HDR, I'd be all over it--glasses or no glasses.  But when you are talking 30% color loss due to reduced brightness, it makes it hard to enjoy that format when you know you could put the other disc in and get Skittles for your eyes.  

The other thing that bugs me about 3D at home is the crosstalk issue.  It seems that every movie is a bit different.  One likes a 3D depth of 0 with no crosstalk and one likes a 3D depth of 2. Its all over the map.  I believe this is probably more of a projector issue but it still plays into the overall 3D experience at home.

There are two movies that I have that I think the 3D version is totally worth it.  Dr Strange and The Force Awakens.  They still have the same 3D problems but the immersion of 3D (especially with Dr Strange when the world is doing it MC Escher thing) starts to tip the scale in favor of 3D or at least closes the gap.

At the end of the day, my eyes want the best possible image quality and color rendition and, sadly, 3D just can't deliver that right now.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't even like 3d in the theater. I think it is a gimmick that really doesn't add anything to a movie for me. More of a distraction. I have a pretty simple home theater. My 6yoa 47" 1080p tv is still kicking. Still enjoy it. I'll probably replace it reluctantly with a 4k at some point.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#6]
MAYBE!
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#7]
The first big movie I saw in 3D was avatar. I felt like I was in their world. 3D helped tell a story.
I've seen some bad 3D movies too, where it was like 3D was an afterthought. I think it was green lantern with Ryan Reynolds.
I get what you mean with darkness, those glasses can be dim. The ones that came with my sony are very light compared to even the ones at the theater. My glasses aren't too bad at all, but  I see what you mean about some color loss.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The first big movie I saw in 3D was avatar. I felt like I was in their world. 3D helped tell a story.
I've seen some bad 3D movies too, where it was like 3D was an afterthought. I think it was green lantern with Ryan Reynolds.
I get what you mean with darkness, those glasses can be dim. The ones that came with my sony are very light compared to even the ones at the theater. My glasses aren't too bad at all, but  I see what you mean about some color loss.
View Quote
I forgot about Avatar.  Avatar is one of those movies that deserves 3D.  It's very immersive and puts you IN the world instead of just shit poking out of the screen at you.    But you lose a lot of those vibrant colors.  That magical blue becomes dull in 3D.  

Im sure it won't be long where we 'get both'.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#9]
4K is UHD. 4K = 2X the pixels of regular Bluray. I like 3D Bluray, but, I've been buying up my favorite movies on 4K UHD for the better resolution. I have a 75" Sony  4K UHD / 3D TV and 4K UHD looks pretty good. I don't buy regular dvd's unless they are old movies that have not been released on Bluray or 4K UHD Bluray.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#10]
4k for me.

It seems like I can reach into the scene well enough if using the right lense.

Some 3D makes my eyes work too damn hard.   I really didnt like Avatar when I saw it i  3D in the movie theater.  Half the movie was my brain trying to adapt.   Not sure what it is but my brain doesnt accept it.

I do have a PS VR and playing games like Batman VR and Job Simulator are full immersion and easy to accept for me.   I think I need to be able to look to the side and see the correct perception for turning my head to accept it in 3d.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#11]
4K, 3D is being phased out.

Be prepared to buy supporting HDR player or just stream 4K AKA make sure your ISP wont bend you over.

I got a Samsung quantum dot something, should have gotten that other one everyone is talking about that was more. OLED
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:07:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I just bought a 4 k player and my understanding is 4k releases should come with the 4K movie, the BD movie, the DVD and the 3D BD if available for it.   And also the electronic version.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:51:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just bought a 4 k player and my understanding is 4k releases should come with the 4K movie, the BD movie, the DVD and the 3D BD if available for it.   And also the electronic version.
View Quote
Every 4K disc I have comes with the 4K HDR, Bluray, and Digital Copy versions.  One or two of them have the 3D Bluray.  None of them that I have contain a DVD release.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I like 3D a lot. My 8 yr old son loves 3D too. My wife hates it, 3D hurts her eyes by the end of a movie.

When buying a movie do you get the 4K or the 3D set?
View Quote

Is your 3D TV passive or active? Because they make glasses that cancel out the 3D aspect, good for those that want to watch the same movie with their friends or family but have issues with 3D.

I actually found 1080P 3D projectors to be cheaper than a 60" 4K television. And there was not a lot of 4K content when I made the purchase. So I went that route instead. Projecting on to a 130" screen and 3D really comes to life on a screen that size. Really want a 4K projector or but waiting for prices to come down.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#15]
My TV is passive 3D. I never heard of glasses that cancel out the effect. Who makes them?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:39:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My TV is passive 3D. I never heard of glasses that cancel out the effect. Who makes them?
View Quote
The active ones I saw were made by Panasonic. The passive ones are just sold by some company that calls themselves "2d Glasses." I have never used those particular glasses though so I can attest to how good they are.

http://www.2d-glasses.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top