Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2017 6:00:14 AM EDT
And once again, no UHD release.  

Disney just flat out refuses to get on the 4K HDR train.  And no Atmos even though it offered an Atmos track in the theater.  

I was holding out a glimmer of hope that they would break their self-imposed ban and make a giant splash in the 4K world with a Rogue One release.  Alas....
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:07:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Blame Sony with that "no 4K BD on the PS4 Pro" bullshit. PS3 made BD a thing, PS4 Pro could've made 4K BD a thing. Idiots.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Blame Sony with that "no 4K BD on the PS4 Pro" bullshit. PS3 made BD a thing, PS4 Pro could've made 4K BD a thing. Idiots.
View Quote

PS4 Pro doesn't do 4K?  

I guess the only reasoning I see is that most of the PS4 demographic is probably streaming-centric.  But still--not to include a 4K player on your halo 'media/gaming device' is kind of silly and a bet that I think they'll end up losing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

PS4 Pro doesn't do 4K?  

I guess the only reasoning I see is that most of the PS4 demographic is probably streaming-centric.  But still--not to include a 4K player on your halo 'media/gaming device' is kind of silly and a bet that I think they'll end up losing.
View Quote

PS4 Pro does not do UHD BD. Xbox One S does. Sony.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah I'm pissed of no UHD release.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:28:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Is there really that much of a difference between BR, 4k, and UHD?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
4K = UHD.  So is there a difference between BR and UHD/4K?  It "depends".  Depends on the cameras used during filming.  Depends on what the Digital Intermediary was (was it converted to 2K or 4K) for conversion into a Blu-ray or UHD disc.  How the director intended the film to look.  
Again too many factors for a simple answer.  The best benefit is that all UHD discs come with a BD disc.  So if you intend to go 4K/UHD at some point, it might not make sense to buy a BD and then buy the UHD disc later.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:50:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

As MetalSaber pointed out, 4K=UHD.  And yes, imo, it makes a fairly significant difference.  But not so much the resolution but for the HDR.  

If you gave me the choice between 1080P HDR and just straight 4K, I'd take 1080P HDR all day long.  I just love the color space and contrast in the HDR content.  The increased resolution is nice, but the real magic is in the HDR, imo.  And Star Wars would be a perfect HDR title with the space scenes and the lush tropical scenes.  

F'n Disney.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:57:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

As MetalSaber pointed out, 4K=UHD.  And yes, imo, it makes a fairly significant difference.  But not so much the resolution but for the HDR.  

If you gave me the choice between 1080P HDR and just straight 4K, I'd take 1080P HDR all day long.  I just love the color space and contrast in the HDR content.  The increased resolution is nice, but the real magic is in the HDR, imo.  And Star Wars would be a perfect HDR title with the space scenes and the lush tropical scenes.  

F'n Disney.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

F'n Disney.  

Yeah Disney is being a bunch of cock blockers.  They figure you'll buy the BD then turn around and buy the UHD when they get released.  It's a good strategy but sucks for consumers. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top