Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2016 4:54:33 PM EDT
Cmon UPS man.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a bit rich for my blood, probably get an Xbox one s for half.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#2]
In! Can't wait!
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Cmon UPS man.
View Quote

I'd wait for the dolby vision update.   Well actually, I'd wait for general reviews first.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd wait for the dolby vision update.   Well actually, I'd wait for general reviews first.
View Quote

Oppo makes great stuff.  No worries about it being bad.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, long time oppo owner here. Never been let down yet. 
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

The reviews aren't for it being bad.  They are for how good it is compared to the competition.  i.e. is is worth the additional $$$ over less expensive options.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The reviews aren't for it being bad.  They are for how good it is compared to the competition.  i.e. is is worth the additional $$ over less expensive options.
View Quote

That goes without saying. Yes it is. 
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:22:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That goes without saying. Yes it is. 
View Quote

Ehh, I'd rather have a proper review confirm it rather then just relying on reputation.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:23:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ehh, I'd rather have a proper review confirm it rather then just relying on reputation.
View Quote

Have you ever owned an Oppo product?
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:32:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a set of their PM-3 headphones, and the sound quality is outstanding.  I wish the rest of my sound system was worthy of this new contraption...
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Have you ever owned an Oppo product?
View Quote

I had access to a DV-970HD dvd player for a time.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hey fair enough and completely understandable. I buy based on my previous experience with them. Had I not owned them several times before, I'd also wait. 

Us oppo enthusiasts can be like i-people, sometimes, with our obsession. :D
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:45:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hey fair enough and completely understandable. I buy based on my previous experience with them. Had I not owned them several times before, I'd also wait. 

View Quote

Also since CES is in a few weeks and who knows what the competition will be like.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not only past experience but once the NDA was lifted all the beta testers started talking.  It's nice that one of the testers has the same PJ as I do and was able to answer some specific questions regarding HDR and share side by side screenshots from the Oppo and Samsung.  That and, imo, the other 4K players on the market right now are plagued with various issues and from what I consider consumer grade manufacturers.  I put Oppo in the prosumer category.   And I needed a new SACD player.  It was a pretty easy decision for me.

Should have it Friday.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:58:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Great. Now I'm going to have to start saving up for this UHD payer. Last year I bought the region free BDP-103. I already bought a Samsung 4K UHD player to be able to play my 4K Bluray movies. But, Oppo quality is the best.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 12:51:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Mine will be here Wednesday!
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:11:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Looking forward to this.  I've had an Oppo DVD player and have the BR player.  Very satisfied - 7.1 analog outs, region free.   That being said, if those (or its other features like SACD playing) don't matter to you, I'd get a cheaper player (Best would be to wait until 4K Blu ray players get to the $100 mark).  

The BR player was the fastest BR player by far when it came out, though doubtlessly surpassed in ~2 years.  Upscaling (DVD to 1080p) is excellent, though again not enough by itself to recommend it, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Any updates on this?

Since my Xbox One S doesn't do HD audio bitstream......I'm about ready to order a separate player.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:23:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Loving mine. I didn't have any of the bigger issues that people reported on release, and they just did a firmware update. 

They're working hard to work out the bugs. All of my gear is newer within the last 2 years, so that's probably why I didn't have any of the issues that others had. 
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#20]
It's been g2g for me.

Only issue I had was with SACD playback.  I had to change the Output Resolution and then it played them with no issue.  

UHD HDR discs are absolutely beautiful.  Warcraft looks freaking amazing in HDR.

And Ive had no issues that some others on the forums have reported. But I'm also using all new equipment (Oppo>Marantz 7011>Epson 5040UB.)  I have not had a single HDMI, HDR, resolution or color space issue.  Whatever settings I ask of it, it's passing it directly through to the Marantz and Epson without issue.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's been g2g for me.

Only issue I had was with SACD playback.  I had to change the Output Resolution and then it played them with no issue.  

UHD HDR discs are absolutely beautiful.  Warcraft looks freaking amazing in HDR.

And Ive had no issues that some others on the forums have reported. But I'm also using all new equipment (Oppo>Marantz 7011>Epson 5040UB.)  I have not had a single HDMI, HDR, resolution or color space issue.  Whatever settings I ask of it, it's passing it directly through to the Marantz and Epson without issue.
View Quote

The only issue I have isn't related to my sources, but my Denon X4200w. It's apparently molesting HDR signals and downgrading them to 8bit. In order to combat this, I have to hard select 4.4.4 color space and 12bit output. I had to do something similar on my ROKU ultra. 

If I don't do that, then HDR content has terrible banding in bright areas such as sky shots.

Since Marantz and Denon are essentially the same company, it appears that Marantz units of the same year (2015) as my Denon also have the issue, but Marantz has acknowledged it and a fix is coming. Denon hasn't said anything yet, but I have to assume, again because they're basically the same company, that they have a fix coming as well.

However, I am considering getting a newer receiver, in the event that Denon doesn't fix it, and the Marantz 7011 is at the top of the list. My question to you is, if you leave the 203 on "auto", do you experience any banding in HDR content? 

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The only issue I have isn't related to my sources, but my Denon X4200w. It's apparently molesting HDR signals and downgrading them to 8bit. In order to combat this, I have to hard select 4.4.4 color space and 12bit output. I had to do something similar on my ROKU ultra. 

If I don't do that, then HDR content has terrible banding in bright areas such as sky shots.

Since Marantz and Denon are essentially the same company, it appears that Marantz units of the same year (2015) as my Denon also have the issue, but Marantz has acknowledged it and a fix is coming. Denon hasn't said anything yet, but I have to assume, again because they're basically the same company, that they have a fix coming as well.

However, I am considering getting a newer receiver, in the event that Denon doesn't fix it, and the Marantz 7011 is at the top of the list. My question to you is, if you leave the 203 on "auto", do you experience any banding in HDR content? 

Thanks!
View Quote

I dont recall any banding issues on my 203 with any 4K HDR/SDR output.  And I played around quite a bit with Auto HDR straight from the 203>Marantz>5040UB and stripping the meta data in the 203>Marantz >manually setting SDR on the 5040UB.  There is a lot of hub bub about adequate HDR brightness and running the 5040UB on HDR2 or running it in SDR for a brighter/sparklier picture.  In all of those back and forth tests (using Warcraft UHD as the test source material) I never saw any banding whatsoever.

I did notice banding from the Roku Ultra but Im convinced that the Ultra is a giant turd (for reasons in addition to the banding.)  It has severe software/firmware issues, imo, and Roku needs to get their shit together.  Its the only Roku device that Ive been unhappy with.

I would love to go down and do some tests for you using your settings on the 203 and the Marantz, but my theater is a bit.....unusable right now.    I was supposed to be finishing it up this weekend and putting it all back together, but the carpet guys came Monday for the install and the carpet was fucked up.  Something about the yarns being uneven in the pile causing vertical lines.  So now I have to wait 10-14 days for new carpet.  Grrrrrrrrrr I want my theater back!

Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Very nice!

My Roku is running fine after last update, but had to go into "secret" menu to select 4.2.0 color space to stop the banding. Now Amazon HDR is stunning as well as Netflix 4K. 
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:51:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Very nice!

My Roku is running fine after last update, but had to go into "secret" menu to select 4.2.0 color space to stop the banding. Now Amazon HDR is stunning as well as Netflix 4K. 
View Quote

Good news.  As soon as I get everything back together, I'll have to try it out on the Roku.  Admittedly, it's been out of commission for a few weeks.

When I first got it (that first week it was released) it worked brilliantly.  Only issue I had was sometimes I had to reboot it to get Netflix (or maybe it was Prime...I forget now) 4K content to show up in the menu even though the Marantz and Epson both showed it was being fed the proper signal from the Roku and the Roku itself showed it was in 4K + HDR display mode.  But it presented a beautiful picture other than that.

And then the updates started and all hell broke loose.  Rebooting almost daily, pink screens (HDMI sync issues), banding, etc.  The AVS Roku thread looked like GD on it's worst day as everyone was having similar issues.  There was a point where I simply stopped streaming content from it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#25]
The new carpet came today and....*drumroll* it's bad, too.  Same f'n problem.  They think it probably came from the same roll and that the whole run at the mill was probably bad.

So new carpet (a different brand) is ordered and Im back to 2 weeks wait time.  Sigh.

F Mohawk carpet.  That is all.  

All of my new gear is going to be old tech by the time this project gets done.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I want it, but I'll pass.
I need the streaming capabilities and from what my salesman told me this doesn't do netflix.
He told me that TV is a better device for streaming movies, but my 65" sony TV doesn't have suitable audio outputs for connecting to my preamp.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:07:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I want it, but I'll pass.
I need the streaming capabilities and from what my salesman told me this doesn't do netflix.
He told me that TV is a better device for streaming movies, but my 65" sony TV doesn't have suitable audio outputs for connecting to my preamp.
View Quote
I think Oppo is out of the streaming apps business from the sounds of it.  While I haven't seen confirmation of it with the upcoming 205, Oppo's official stance so far has been that they see no reason to include apps on the new devices because everything under the sun now includes apps (TVs, consoles, dedicated streaming devices, etc.)  They seem to be focused on creating dedicated physical media players.  

And I'm ok with that.  Just give me the best BD/UHD/SACD player you can make.

The TV doesn't have an ARC HDMI port?

ETA: And in case you ever are interested, I'll have a 203 for sale as soon as the 205 drops.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I think Oppo is out of the streaming apps business from the sounds of it.  While I haven't seen confirmation of it with the upcoming 205, Oppo's official stance so far has been that they see no reason to include apps on the new devices because everything under the sun now includes apps (TVs, consoles, dedicated streaming devices, etc.)  They seem to be focused on creating dedicated physical media players.  

ETA: And in case you ever are interested, I'll have a 203 for sale as soon as the 205 drops.  
View Quote
I think I have an optical out port, and that seems to be 2 channel only. I also think it has RCA out in a 2 channel as well.
My TV doesn't have good outputs, but OPPO was known for having every output.
My console is McIntosh pre/pro and they have some ok music streaming apps, but not TV streaming apps. Before I sent my Mc in for repair, I just got the new amazon fire and I think that might do Netflix.

What's the difference between the 203 and 205?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 6:16:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think I have an optical out port, and that seems to be 2 channel only. I also think it has RCA out in a 2 channel as well.
My console is McIntosh pre/pro and they have some ok music streaming apps, but not TV streaming apps. Before I sent my Mc in for repair, I just got the new amazon fire and I think that might do Netflix.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah the Amazon Fire will work fine for all of your streaming needs. Just run it into one of the HDMI inputs on the Mc.

The 205 uses the new ESS Pro Sabre DAC.  It's a DAC designed for studios and professional applications.  Basically, the 205 will have the transport of the 203 with the DAC of their Sonica DAC.  It should sound even better than the 203--which sounds incredible as it is.  

I did find this quote from Oppo regarding apps:

"The UDP-20x line of players will not support Tidal or other streaming services, but it is definitely something that we are looking into possibly supporting in the future."

So, streaming apps are out for now but it sounds like they have received enough feedback that they may rethink that position.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:18:54 AM EDT
[#30]
If I hook up the 205 to my Mc it will use my Mc's DAC anyway right?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If I hook up the 205 to my Mc it will use my Mc's DAC anyway right?
View Quote
It would depend on how you hooked it up.  Digital out from the 205 to the Mc = Mc DAC.  Analog out from the 205 = 205 DAC.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It would depend on how you hooked it up.  Digital out from the 205 to the Mc = Mc DAC.  Analog out from the 205 = 205 DAC.
View Quote
Does Mc or Oppo have a better DAC? I'd assume Mc does, but I don't really know.
If I use the Mc DAC is there any benefit to on one 4K player like the oppo 205 over the 203 oppo/samsung/sony or another?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If I use the Mc DAC is there any benefit to on one 4K player like the oppo 205 over the 203 oppo/samsung/sony or another?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 205 will have a much better DAC than the Mc.

I have an older BDP-95 and comparing it to my Cambridge DAC magic or Marantz 7702mk2 DAC is quite revealing.  The 95 is much better, and the 205 is going to use an even better newer DAC.  Plus the xx5 series Oppos are fully balanced designs.   They are quite spectacular when using the analog outs and the built in DACs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#34]
The BPD-205 just became available for pre order a few minutes ago.  It is going to start shipping in two weeks.  I ordered one.  Can't wait.  I have a BPD-95 right now, and love the Sabre DACs for two channel audio via balanced connections to my two channel preamp.  The Sabre Pro Dacs are going to be amazing plus the 205 can be used as a stand alone DAC.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:54:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The BPD-205 just became available for pre order a few minutes ago.  It is going to start shipping in two weeks.  I ordered one.  Can't wait.  I have a BPD-95 right now, and love the Sabre DACs for two channel audio via balanced connections to my two channel preamp.  The Sabre Pro Dacs are going to be amazing plus the 205 can be used as a stand alone DAC.  
View Quote
Yeah got my link, too.  I haven't ordered yet.  I emailed Oppo to see how likely a 205D is.  I really wanted an upgrade in video processing, too, but the 205 is using the same OP8591 as the 203.  The two ESS Sabre Pros is going to be a huge upgrade on the audio end though!  

If they say a 205D is likely in 2018, I might hold off.  If Darbee 4K processing is still far off, Im all over it and my 203 will be up for sale.    I want a 205 with ESS Sabre Pro DACs and Darbee video processing!  GET BOTH!
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yeah got my link, too.  I haven't ordered yet.  I emailed Oppo to see how likely a 205D is.  I really wanted an upgrade in video processing, too, but the 205 is using the same OP8591 as the 203.  The two ESS Sabre Pros is going to be a huge upgrade on the audio end though!  

If they say a 205D is likely in 2018, I might hold off.  If Darbee 4K processing is still far off, Im all over it and my 203 will be up for sale.    I want a 205 with ESS Sabre Pro DACs and Darbee video processing!  GET BOTH!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was reading on a closed Facebook 4K forum that Darbee is way off on 4k video enhancements.  Could be true, or not...

I bought a Sony 8000 series UHD BD player a month ago, so I suppose I will have to sell it once the 205 arrives and is stable.  I have almost a full home theater setup sitting on shelves not being used now...  with 2 channel HT bypass...  its a disease.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I was reading on a closed Facebook 4K forum that Darbee is way off on 4k video enhancements.  Could be true, or not...

I bought a Sony 8000 series UHD BD player a month ago, so I suppose I will have to sell it once the 205 arrives and is stable.  I have almost a full home theater setup sitting on shelves not being used now...  with 2 channel HT bypass...  its a disease.
View Quote
Looks like I have my answer.  (Not from a re: to my e-mail, this was just posted on AVS about an hour ago.)  

Darbee does not have a working solution that can do native UHD media, and even when they will have a solution, it will likely be too expensive for us to implement, so there are no plans to support Darbee processing with these current generation of players.

I knew the first part of the first sentence, but they are close as they (Darbee) talked about it at CE2016.  But the second half of that sentence is unexpected.  I'm wondering if the 20x series is basically going to consist of the 203 and 205 and a 30x series is going to pickup the apps and Darbee processing.

So, 205 ordered.  

Anyone interested in a well cared for 203?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:35:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Looks like I have my answer.  (Not from a re: to my e-mail, this was just posted on AVS about an hour ago.)  

Darbee does not have a working solution that can do native UHD media, and even when they will have a solution, it will likely be too expensive for us to implement, so there are no plans to support Darbee processing with these current generation of players.

I knew the first part of the first sentence, but they are close as they (Darbee) talked about it at CE2016.  But the second half of that sentence is unexpected.  I'm wondering if the 20x series is basically going to consist of the 203 and 205 and a 30x series is going to pickup the apps and Darbee processing.

So, 205 ordered.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, 205 ordered.  

The apps are easy to add with updates.  The video process, sounds like a big nooope.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:22:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The apps are easy to add with updates.  The video process, sounds like a big nooope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, 205 ordered.  

Yeah streaming apps would be easy to add via a FW upgrade.  But Oppo has stated numerous times that the 20x gen players will not support streaming.  Yet the guys on AVS are jumping up and down because -surprise- the 205 doesn't support streaming.  

Personally, I don't care about the lack of streaming.  I want a dedicated transport that supports BD/4K/SACD because I think physical media trumps streamed media in quality.  But a Darbee version should would have been nice.  

Can't wait to get my hands on the SABRE Pros!  Cmon May!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I just got a tracking number!  
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 4/27/2017 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#42]
I received mine yesterday and got it hooked up.  It is wonderful.  The Sabre Pro DAC sounds amazing in 2 channel.  Better than my BDP-95.  I run both with balanced connection to my 2 channel preamp.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:51:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I received mine yesterday and got it hooked up.  It is wonderful.  The Sabre Pro DAC sounds amazing in 2 channel.  Better than my BDP-95.  I run both with balanced connection to my 2 channel preamp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Excellent!  I'm hoping to get it in the rack tonight and have a little 2CH session.  Im really interested to hear how the Sabre Pro compares with the Burr Brown in the Marantz.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:42:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Excellent!  I'm hoping to get it in the rack tonight and have a little 2CH session.  Im really interested to hear how the Sabre Pro compares with the Burr Brown in the Marantz.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you get it hooked up yet?

I am loving mine more every time I listen to it!
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:01:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  I was a total loser and went to bed at 9PM last night.  

It's on my list today.  I was going to get some work done outside but it's supposed to rain all day so Im going to spend the day in the media room instead.  

Im actually going to leave the 203 in the rack and hook up the 205 at the same time.  I'll run the 203 to the Marantz via HDMI (digital) and the 205 to the Marantz via analog.  Then I'll run some real-time AB comparisons between the two as I have multiple copies from the same master of DSOTM, When Hell Freezes Over and Brothers In Arms.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Wow digdug you aren't kidding.  Intoxicating.

I honestly wasn't expecting to hear a huge difference but wow was I wrong.

Took a bit of time to get my measurements since I'm bypassing all of the room correction and bass management in the Marantz, but wow.

Sultans of swing sounds amazing.  Money for nothing, so far away...all incredible.  Digging into Holly Cole Trio and Diana Krall now.  Haven't event got to Floyd yet.

Big smile on my face tonight.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:52:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Wow digdug you aren't kidding.  Intoxicating.

I honestly wasn't expecting to hear a huge difference but wow was I wrong.

Took a bit of time to get my measurements since I'm bypassing all of the room correction and bass management in the Marantz, but wow.

Sultans of swing sounds amazing.  Money for nothing, so far away...all incredible.  Digging into Holly Cole Trio and Diana Krall now.  Haven't event got to Floyd yet.

Big smile on my face tonight.  
View Quote
I know, right?  Pretty amazing piece of gear.  I connected the 205 via SMB to my NAS with all my hi-rez FLAC file size on it and controlled it with my iPad.  If you have balanced in connections on your receiver, connect the UDP-205 up with a couple blue jeans cable balanced connections.  My 2 channel rig is all balanced except for my Rega turntable.  Noise is through the floor.  

Oppo UDP-205 -> Emotiva XSP-1 -> Emotiva XPA-2. All balanced connections to each other.

My surround pre-pro is a Marantz AV7702mkII running through the balanced home theater bypass connection of the XSP-1.  Surround amps are balanced connected Emotiva XPA-5 for low surround speakers and Emotiva BasX A-500 for high surround speakers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top