Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2016 3:11:39 PM EDT
Looking for suggestions for the new home.  I have it wired for 5 speakers with 16 gauge wire, and since the drywall is  up, that is all we're going to be able to do.  This was done intentionally to avoid having speakers EVERYWHERE, and in the future, the 7.1+ atmos setup will be either in the basement or up in the loft, and not in a room where we are going to try and make it at least somewhat aesthetically pleasing  Down the line, I will go that route, but for the time being, 5.1 is what we are sticking with specifically for the family room.

I have not really followed the 4k tech very closely, so I'm a bit out of touch....and will need some help selecting the following:

1- 4K TV, preferably between 60-70"
2- 4K compatible receiver
3- 4K player
4- 5 satellite speakers with mounts
5- sub

Unfortunately, I had to put the rear speakers on the ceiling, no other way around it.  Center speaker can be wall mounted underneath the TV, or it can simply go on the mantle, so I have some freedom there for size.

Given the area, number of speakers, and restriction on the size of the speakers, I understand I can only do so much, and I understand that this will never be a world class setup.  As such, I am not looking to blow 10k on a setup like I know some people have done.  I'd like to keep a speaker set around 1k, a TV around 1k, reciever around 5-600, and Sub about the same.  If this isn't doable, I'm open to suggestions that are reasonable, especially if there are items out there that are truly a good bargain based on performance/cost ratio.

As always, thanks for the help!

Red circles indicate speaker wire locations.

Blue circles indicate wire locations/pathways with smurf tube.  I can run anything I want from blue circle to blue circle.  At the blue circle on the half wall the speaker wires terminate, and I have RG6, 2 runs of 5E and one of 6A.  

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#1]

On the 4K player, Id wait a month or so for the new Oppo UDP-203.

A speaker option at the 1K budget and for the size of the speakers, check out RSL (Roger Sound Labs)  (rslspeakers.com)

They have a BF deal coming up on a 5.1 system for $999.  Their speakers are small but produce amazing sound.  If I was doing a small room and couldn't go towers, Id definitely have RSL at the top of the list.  I have 4 of their C34 ceiling speakers for Atmos and I have been very pleased with them.  

If you can splurge on the budget a little, Id add the second Speedwoofer.  Its well worth the additional cash for the performance of dual subs--especially if it's primarily for movie content.

Call up Roger or his son and give him your wants and room dimensions and Im sure they'll steer you in the right direction.  They are very helpful and dedicated folks.

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A speaker option at the 1K budget and for the size of the speakers, check out RSL (Roger Sound Labs)  (rslspeakers.com)

They have a BF deal coming up on a 5.1 system for $999.  Their speakers are small but produce amazing sound.  If I was doing a small room and couldn't go towers, Id definitely have RSL at the top of the list.  I have 4 of their C34 ceiling speakers for Atmos and I have been very pleased with them.  

If you can splurge on the budget a little, Id add the second Speedwoofer.  Its well worth the additional cash for the performance of dual subs--especially if it's primarily for movie content.

Call up Roger or his son and give him your wants and room dimensions and Im sure they'll steer you in the right direction.  They are very helpful and dedicated folks.

View Quote

Where did you hear about the BF deal?  Price wise that would be ideal, but their systems on the website appear to start at 2k-ish.

The other sets I'm looking at are the Definitive Audio ProCinema 800 and 1000 series, so I'm going to have to poke around to see how they compare.

The idea of adding a second woofer though to have one large and one small seems like a great idea though.  Even if I don't do their system, I may do a dual sub system.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  Apparently there isn't as much calling for this stuff here as I'd hoped
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Speaker sets I am looking at:

SVS

ProCinema 800

ProCinema 1000

Polk Audio TL350 (would need a sub)

RSL CG3 (new one just announced, not yet on their site, but $999)
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#4]
For what it's worth, many many people are using a 4.1 system which gets rid of the middle speaker. The thought process is.. with a center speak all of your dialogue gets sent there, meaning when people are moving on screen from left to right, their voice comes from the same location. Subtracting the center speaker, your 2 front speakers handle dialogue and allow the voice to travel. They do a good job at "meeting" the dialogue in the middle of the room so it still feels like it's centered.

Another thought, it looks like you have an attic, so drilling through the top plate in that wall is simple and you can easiely add a ceiling mounted center speaker, for aesthetic purposes :)

For receivers, I just got the Yamaha RX-V779 and have been very happy with it. Good amount of customizable options and the added
functionality of the smartphone and tablet interface is great. We actually hid all of our remotes in the closet and use only our phones to control the whole system now.

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
For what it's worth, many many people are using a 4.1 system which gets rid of the middle speaker. The thought process is.. with a center speak all of your dialogue gets sent there, meaning when people are moving on screen from left to right, their voice comes from the same location. Subtracting the center speaker, your 2 front speakers handle dialogue and allow the voice to travel. They do a good job at "meeting" the dialogue in the middle of the room so it still feels like it's centered.

Another thought, it looks like you have an attic, so drilling through the top plate in that wall is simple and you can easiely add a ceiling mounted center speaker, for aesthetic purposes :)

For receivers, I just got the Yamaha RX-V779 and have been very happy with it. Good amount of customizable options and the added functionality of the smartphone and tablet interface is great. We actually hid all of our remotes in the closet and use only our phones to control the whole system now.

View Quote

Excellent info!  I do have an attic.....unfortunately there's an entire level separating it from the room in the photo  I was going to run a bunch of extra wire before the drywall went up, but after seeing family rooms where there are tons and tons of speakers, I just wasn't really into the aesthetics of it.  Beyond that, I also have some additional space to really do something neat in the future.

Eventually I will do a more elaborate setup in either the the loft (where I can and will put speakers everywhere and have no size restrictions) or down in the basement if I ever finish it.  So rest assured I will do something pretty neat there, but the priority for now is to get the downstairs up and running with the best system I can afford, but do it within the limitations of the space and keep it visually appealing.  Seems like there are some really nice options out there so I'm not as concerned about getting big sound out of little speakers as I once was.

I was going to use my old setup, but there are just too many nice options out there now, and I don't think my Onkyo is 4k compatible.  Otherwise its a fine receiver, but it is what it is.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Where did you hear about the BF deal?  Price wise that would be ideal, but their systems on the website appear to start at 2k-ish.

The other sets I'm looking at are the Definitive Audio ProCinema 800 and 1000 series, so I'm going to have to poke around to see how they compare.

The idea of adding a second woofer though to have one large and one small seems like a great idea though.  Even if I don't do their system, I may do a dual sub system.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  Apparently there isn't as much calling for this stuff here as I'd hoped
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I received an email about it.  It's their 5.1 CG3 & 23 system for 999.  If its even close to their CG4 system, it's going to be a steal.  RSL (and most internet direct companies) have a very good demo policy.  Buy it, listen to it in your space and then if you don't like it ship it back on their dime for a full refund.

I don't have any experience with the SVS Primes but SVS makes exceptional speakers.  I almost went with their Ultra towers before ultimately going with the GoldenEar Tritons.

On the subs, if you go dual subs make sure they are matched.  Dual subs are easy to level and gain match if they are both identical but can be a PITA if they are different (brands, woofer size, etc.)  And I would choose dual subs over a single sub in just about every scenario.  Ive ran two different single subs before and was never happy until I went dual HSUs.  Dual subs give you much more control in the room when trying to avoid nulls and to even out the bass response in the room.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#7]
OP if you do find a little more budget for some speakers, check out the ELAC Unifi speakers.  

Another brilliant sounding speaker in a tiny foot print.  I don't think they would have any issue filling that room.  They make them in white, too.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:55:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks again for the suggestion!  I've read up on basically everything you've suggested and it really sounds like you know your stuff......

Do you have any suggestions for receivers and TV's?

Thanks again!  I owe ya.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 8:58:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I can't help you on TVs as Im out of the loop there.  Im a home theater hobbyist and I gravitate toward projectors.  I have a 4K projector and still don't have a 4K TV.  

What are your needs on an AVR?  You can't go wrong with the Denon/Marantz AVRs.  The Yamahas are wonderful, I just feel their YPAO (room correction software) is inferior to Audyssey that comes on the Denon/Marantz AVRs.  

If you don't need the latest such as HEOS (wireless whole house audio), Audyssey EQ editing, etc, the 2015 D+M AVRs can be had for huge discounts.  $1000 off on their top model(s).  Maybe more during BF because they are trying to liquidate the stock since the 2016 line became available Q3/Q4 of this year.

The only thing I'll caution on re: Denon is their 6200/6300.  There is something currently not right with those AVRs.  Ive had two 6300s and had to send them both back.  They are creating a certain frequency from all channels when MultiEQ XT32 and Dynamic EQ is enabled.  Im sure Denon will take care of it but at this time I can't recommend those two AVRs to someone.  Incredible receivers if they get that issue resolved via firmware.

Im waiting on the Oppo 203 4K player, but the Samsung K8500 just dropped to 189 on Amazon.  It's getting hard to pass up that price but Im hell bent on waiting for the Oppo.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 8:36:12 AM EDT
[#10]
SVS 12" subs on sale at Amazon.

Great sub in a very small cabinet.  Two of those would sound awesome in that room and fit in your budget of just one sub.

SVS 12" Sub
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top