Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/28/2016 6:23:04 AM EDT
I'm talking about the component type with receiver, disc, and the large, floor standing speakers.
Can't remember the last time I've seen one in somebody's home.
Always see the little bookshelf type theater systems like you get for $200 - $500 at Best Buy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:25:17 AM EDT
[#1]
All we have are iPhone docks and a set of speakers hooked up to an old iPad downstairs.

Don't even have a regular radio.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:33:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a boombox to play songs at our wedding reception (we had a very small wedding).

It has a CD player, USB ports, RCA audio in, 3.5 mm audio jack, regular old speaker wire connections, and bluetooth, and of course an AM/FM antenna. I have that hooked up to my TV using the RCA cables. Provides better sound when watching movies or playing video game than does the TV speakers.

We use it occasionally to play music during parties using my wife's Iphone (we live in an apartment, so it doesn't have to be big to work).

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Haven't seen anything like that in a long time. Most of the nice ones my friends have were integrated into the ceiling through nicer speakers and the receiver and amp were in a closet. But even those never get used.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#4]
No and thank God. So much space taken up. Tech has gotten smaller and better for the most part.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:55:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I do, with a record player and two channel only. Speakers are small though, because I have a big powered sub and use a high pass filter on the speakers.

Had some friends over boogieing to James Brown and they kept looking sideways at the little bookshelfs (Rega RS1) and scratching their heads. Finally one of the guys demanded an explanation and they were all like "yeah, wtf?".
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm talking about the component type with receiver, disc, and the large, floor standing speakers.
Always see the little bookshelf type theater systems like you get for $200 - $500 at Best Buy.
View Quote

Home theater / multichannel has kind of replaced stereo as a do all type setup. The components change as technology changes. Instead of tape decks, reel to reels, 8 track, eq's, tuners, cd players, its, Cable / Sat boxes, BluRay players, streaming devices, PC's, and maybe a turn table.  AVR;s and BD players cover multiple separate components. AVR have built in tuners, eq. BD players also play audio disks.

Speaker size has changed due to design changes / development of dedicated sub's. What speaker placement for the mids / highs might not be ideal placement for the lows. With a dedicated sub you can move it around to where it sounds best. It also has its own cabnet that is build specifically for low frequency.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:49:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Not really much of a point now with the pervasiveness of 5.1/7.1 home theater systems and wireless speakers.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#8]
We don't have one.  Been thinking about getting a sound bar though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:53:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, saddly it's part of the new generation philosophy where technology can overcome physics and quality takes a back seat. I have a large home theater system (not stereo only) and still working on it. Most people don't have the 10,000 bucks plus to do a proper home theater system and to do it right means larger speakers, at least bookshelf sized.

It's funny because most people I know just want sound that is better than the TV speakers, not better than their local theater. People just don't seem to really care nowdays. I am always disheartened to see what my relatives have done with sound coming from the ceiling,firing straight down into the floor, tiny subs shoved in the corner, non damped rooms with slap echo and acoustics nightmares galore. It's is no wonder they all don't appreciate a good set up because most people have never heard one.

Small speakers,  small subs, sound small. But I almost envy those same people because once you hear high end audio gear you can't really go back. You become spoiled and your bar for what is acceptable is forever changed. How nice it would be to not hear the delay or hiss in a wireless speaker. How nice to not care about a seamless soundfield, or not realize when sound from a speaker sounds like it is sound from a speaker instead of real life sound and have it disappoint you.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 5:29:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I still have my old 1988 JVC tuner but I really only use my Bluetooth speaker I have lost 60% of my hearing so I'm not really an audiophile anymore.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 6:18:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, saddly it's part of the new generation philosophy where technology can overcome physics and quality takes a back seat. I have a large home theater system (not stereo only) and still working on it. Most people don't have the 10,000 bucks plus to do a proper home theater system and to do it right means larger speakers, at least bookshelf sized.

It's funny because most people I know just want sound that is better than the TV speakers, not better than their local theater. People just don't seem to really care nowdays. I am always disheartened to see what my relatives have done with sound coming from the ceiling,firing straight down into the floor, tiny subs shoved in the corner, non damped rooms with slap echo and acoustics nightmares galore. It's is no wonder they all don't appreciate a good set up because most people have never heard one.

Small speakers,  small subs, sound small. But I almost envy those same people because once you hear high end audio gear you can't really go back. You become spoiled and your bar for what is acceptable is forever changed. How nice it would be to not hear the delay or hiss in a wireless speaker. How nice to not care about a seamless soundfield, or not realize when sound from a speaker sounds like it is sound from a speaker instead of real life sound and have it disappoint you.
View Quote

When all you hear all the time is the Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee from your tinnitus the rest does not matter much.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 6:33:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I just bought some floor standing speakers, and a giant fucking center channel. Already had the receiver and will be adding a subwoofer soon. So I guess, I still do.

Link Posted: 9/3/2016 7:26:01 AM EDT
[#13]
2 channel still exists, as does analog.  My system has been in crates since moving 3 years ago, as this sort of stuff doesn't mix well with toddlers.   I also can't fit it into my (secure) gun room, but am working on it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 7:40:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I have an old blue light Marantz 2040 in my living room. Can't remember the last time I had it on, though.

BTW, I have a pawnshop. Most of the receivers I sell fall into two categories: 1.) Modern surround sound receivers for home theater systems, 2.) older/vintage stuff that guys want to use either for a shop stereo or for use on an outdoor deck/patio/river cabin.

ETA: I do run an old school stereo inside my pawnshop but unless I've got the radio on, the music originates on an iPod that I feed into the receiver.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 7:44:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a shitty receiver and some even shittier speakers in my shop and backyard.

In the house we just use the TV with a sound bar.

Car stereos have died off also.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 7:53:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

We don't have one.  Been thinking about getting a sound bar though.
View Quote

Do it.

Just stay away from Sony's. I've had two where the sub woofer went out in a year.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Hand made (by me) Sapele entertainment center
components:
amp,
blue-ray
cable box
dual cassette player
5-disk CD player and burner
VHS / DVD recorder
center channel speaker
four front speakers
two subwoofers
four rear speakers

Link Posted: 9/3/2016 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#18]
People have replaced "stereos" with "home theaters".

Part of the monstrously large, floor-standing speakers craze was the need for a large box to reproduce low frequency sounds.  In this regard, bigger really is better.  Those big, prominent boxes have been replaced by separate subwooofers that don't need to be out front.  This allows for much smaller speaker cabinets.

The new tech isn't really smaller, as electronics designs are driven (in part) by cooling requirements.  A good quality audio-video receiver is BIG.  If your receiver is going to deliver 1kW to the speakers, it is going to be BIG.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#19]
still,rock'n ,y adcom amp,tuner\pre-amp and pioneer 6 disc changer.

not to mention the klipsch floor standing speakers.

ps3,dvd and tv all hook up w\rca to the pre-amp.

clown
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Full component system here with 2 pair of Klipsch floor speakers and 4 wall speakers.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't have the component stereo system (Well I used to; I had a Carver Pre-Amp/Tuner CT 27v, Carver TFM 35x  Amplifier, Adcom amplifier GFA-2535/L, Two Magnepan Magneplanar MG-2.7/QR speakers, and a Luxman P100 turntable),or I should say I stopped using the component system (who makes 45's or LP vinyl discs anymore?) and got the latest Denon AV Receiver AVR-X7200W to replace the Carver Pre-Amp/Tuner and both amplifiers. I just couldn't hook up the TV, ATT Uverse, computer, Oppo 3D Blu ray player, and Samsung 4K UHD Blu ray player into the old Carver pre-amp and the two amplifiers. Hence the reason to go away from component system to the Audio Video receiver system which also eliminates the need for separate amplifiers. Last year I purchased a set of used Magnepan Magneplanar MG 20.1 speakers for my front surround speakers and moved the old Magnepan MG 2.7's to the back wall for use as the back speakers.    

You don't have to settle for a crappy non-component audio (in my case audio/video) system with small, book shelf speakers. My front two Magnepan speakers are 79 1/2" tall and the back two Magnepan speakers are 71 1/2" tall. The only small, box type speakers that I have are the two side Harmon Kardon speakers (part of the surround system).
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Full component system here with 2 pair of Klipsch floor speakers and 4 wall speakers.
View Quote

I looked into the Klipsch, Klipschorn speakers when I was putting my stereo system together over 20 years ago. But, I just didn't have a house big enough, or a room with two defined corners (required for the Klipschorns to work properly) for the speaker system. After I got divorced I got a smaller house, so there is no way I'd ever be able to put a pair of Klipschorns in my current house. I love my Magneplanar MG 20.1 speakers.  I've read that the Klipchorn folded horn speakers really fill up a large house by using the walls as an extension of the speakers. Are they as great as they say they are? I paid a little over $6,500 for my two Magneplanar speakers (used) so I'd never be able to afford a pair of Klipschorns now as they cost twice that for a pair.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I would be all for a smaller speakers to save space, but heavy metal and small speakers have never mixed well in my experience.
So, I still have the old Yamaha's.
Anybody recommend something small that can dish out metal, without sounding like a fart machine after a few months of use?
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 10:42:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I would be all for a smaller speakers to save space, but heavy metal and small speakers have never mixed well in my experience.
So, I still have the old Yamaha's.
Anybody recommend something small that can dish out metal, without sounding like a fart machine after a few months of use?
View Quote

You can't do it without a sub, and a filter to take the low end off of the bookshelves. Without the load of the low end they can perform way beyond what you would expect.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/high-pass-filter.html

I'd recommend the Rega RS1 very highly in general. They aren't touchy about placement is a plus too.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 12:37:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
who makes 45's or LP vinyl discs anymore?
View Quote

www.soundstagedirect.com
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 1:06:52 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a 140lb, 2000 watt pa system.  It has a giant sub cabinet and two satellite tripod speakers.  I use a Bluetooth receiver with it to pick up audio from phone or PC.

I've not run it to full volume, the house shakes too much.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I had a bose 321 system forever for movie watching. I really liked the sound..... I waited forever for bose 321 to come out with a bluray model. They never did.

Now I have a McIntosh system with Sonus Faber speakers. Way better, more realistic sound.

The olden days with the big speaker boxes with 12" subs are gone. Nowadays the speaker towers are slim with smaller speakers, and you supplement the sound with a separate powered sub.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
I'm halfway deaf anyways. You audiophiles that claim auch minuscule differences are funny. For the most part, shit sounds the same to me. As long as I don't hear the tinnitus I'm happy.

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 7:36:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm no true audiophile, nor can I hear miniscule differences.... But there is a world of difference in sound between $100 speakers, and $10,000 speakers even playing at modest volume levels.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a receiver and floor speakers.

Now, the data is on a 16TB RAID media device so the setup is modern in some ways but there's a receiver and speakers.

For me, a lot of stuff sounds pretty good through a set of Polk RTI A5s.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a great pair of B&W 803's on either side of the fireplace powered by a 300 watt per channel Bryston power amp.
It's amazing sounding.
I drive it using iTunes from either my laptop or iPhone through an Apple Tv into a nice preamp.

Amazing tech and it sounds better than anything I've heard anywhere else.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Yes, I have a 5.1 system with klipsch, Yamaha, and velodyne components.  I can't stand all the shitty little sound bars that are so popular these days.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Nothing too fancy.

Surround sound for the TV and a receiver along with an old turntable.

Sounds pretty good to me but I'm no audiophile.

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 8:33:08 PM EDT
[#34]
paradigm 90 p's
they frigging rock-- no sub, but rather 6- 6" powered speakers that rumble as good or better than most subs

emotiva separates for power and processing

oversize center

paradigm split rears

136" screen, panny projector  8000u

who goes to the movies..???!?1??

kids nowadays thing mp3's are as good as it gets....

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes ....Size matters !
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yes ....Size matters !
View Quote

Very true. Mine has no need for more than 2 speakers. Subwoofer? bah!
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#37]
My family has a wide range of bluetooth speakers that we all have our phones synced to.

So every time we go to each others houses, no cords needed.  Everything is controlled from your phone!
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:53:01 AM EDT
[#38]
double tap
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#39]
No replacement for displacement!

My mains are Klipsch RF7 IIs. I have the matching RC-62 II center. My subwoofer is a homemade horn and is the size of a normal refrigerator. But I only have 1 of those when 4 would be better. My mains and sub are powered off of 2 separate Crown amps. Space is small so my rears are just a pair of my old Klipsch towers.

Outdoor system is an old Oknyo powering home rebuilt EconWaves and an iNuke powering a small horn sub I put on wheels.

I ordered my RF7s online and they arrived by semi-truck.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:04:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Nothing too fancy.

Surround sound for the TV and a receiver along with an old turntable.

Sounds pretty good to me but I'm no audiophile.

<a href="http://s1164.photobucket.com/user/ATCzero1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsx5i3bblu.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q572/ATCzero1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsx5i3bblu.jpeg</a>
View Quote

Throw a rug on that floor. A big one. It will improve the acoustics. Expanses of hard surfaces aren't good.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Overall yes, "big stereos" are on the decline. Rise of headphone usage and restrictive WAF...
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 4:07:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Overall yes, "big stereos" are on the decline. Rise of headphone usage and restrictive WAF...
View Quote
Not everyone will know about the Wife Approval Factor.

I have a Pioneer VSX 1014 receiver that powers my Polk surround speakers.  It feeds a pair of Crown XLS 1000 amps which power my Dayton DIII speakers.  The sub output feeds a Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro to make sure my sub is + or - 3db from 100hz to 17hz.  The EQ runs into a Behringer EP series amp which powers a pair of DIY subs similar to this - DIY sub.

Everything is in a rack along with my Blu-ray player, Roku box, DirecTV HR-22 DVR, DirectV HR-20 DVR, ZyXel NAS drive with my media files and an APC UPS.

Over the weekend I was working in the yard when I heard one of those booming cars get into ear shot but it never got any louder.  A few minutes later I walked around the house and the sound kept getting louder and louder when it hit me.  My wife was watching a concert we had recorded on the DVR and I could feel the bass through a brick wall.  I still don't have the bass where I want it and I'm looking at building a 20 cubic foot enclosure ported to 14hz with an old Exodus Audio Maelstrom 21" driver.

I was playing around with it and did some free air testing.  My foot appears in the video.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:51:39 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

SVS Ultra Tower system in a 7.2 configuration with dual SVS-PB2000 subs.

For me, the audio is half of the movie experience.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote

The same can be said when it comes to picture quality. That's why companies like Panasonic abandoned the superior (to LCD) plasma technology. Most people are perfectly OK with mediocre picture and sound. And it's sad.

How many threads are on here "best TV for under 800 bucks?" It doesn't matter, they're all garbage.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The same can be said when it comes to picture quality. That's why companies like Panasonic abandoned the superior (to LCD) plasma technology. Most people are perfectly OK with mediocre picture and sound. And it's sad.

How many threads are on here "best TV for under 800 bucks?" It doesn't matter, they're all garbage.
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 1:53:15 AM EDT
[#46]
You can't have really good quality deep bass without a big subwoofer.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:14:52 PM EDT
[#47]
My system consists of a pair of Boston VR40 main speakers, bi-amped by a pair of Rotel amplifiers through a Rotel preamp with a phono stage.  Standard fare turntable and CD player.  Also, a big ole A/V amp that I never use.  Yamaha, I guess.

The Bostons are in need of repair, so a pair of Infinity speakers are filling in.  Crappy, but good enough for now.

I had an original Sunfire True Subwoofer but it got damaged when it hopped its way into the back of a chair.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:34:20 PM EDT
[#48]
I still dream of having an audiophile grade two channel music only system.  

I have auditioned high end systems (Krell, Ariel Acoustics, McIntosh, Wilson, etc.) and the quality is magical.  It would take about $15k to do a modest audiophile system and I'm just not ready to pay that yet.  

I currently have a 5.1 system with a Pioneer HT receiver and Definitive bookshelf speakers with an SVS sub.  

It works well in my smallish room.  Not audiophile but well balanced.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:15:00 PM EDT
[#49]
i currently have 14 speakers, 2 couch base shakers, and 3 subwoofers in my system.

everybody needs a hobby.      
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Still rocking the Klipsch KLF30's one of my favorite speakers ever. Adcom and Yamaha gear. Need a new sub though, looking at the P312  but I have heard its muddy. Anyone have one?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top