Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2016 11:24:17 AM EDT
Finally starting to see the light at the end.  Delivery man brought all the fun stuff yesterday

Nothing super high end.  Optoma HD142X with 110" Silver Ticket fixed screen.  Denon receiver.  In wall 5.1 speaker setup with Polk 12" sub.  

Been working on it since May.  With 2 young kids and a nurse for a wife working shift work, it's pretty hard to find time

The room is about 14' x 38'.  There is going to be a bar behind where the pictures are taken.  Still a ways to go there.

Done:

Re-plumb the entire house
Framing
Insulation
Electrical rough in
Drywall
Mud/tape
Texture
Paint
Carsiding above bar
Carpet

To Do:

Doors
Trim
Stacked stone on white wall shown in pic (where screen goes)
Install electronics
Install outlets
Build bar (longer term)
Stacked stone around walk-in gun safe behind bar (not shown)

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#1]
That's looking great OP! Definitely tagging to see the finished product. My wife and I are looking for a house and one of my "wants/needs" is a space to do this with. It's nice you're getting the family involved when you can.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:02:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Hung some doors and did a bunch of final wiring today.  

Just put the screen together and hung it up to get a scale of it.  Wow this thing looks ridiculous!

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:22:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Stacked stone? Cultures stone?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Cast stacked stone.

I put small LED accent lights on the ceiling on either side of the screen for low level ambient lighting while watching a movie.  You can see them in the first pic.  The shallow light on the stone creates an awesome effect.   There is another light pointing towards the stairs and another pointing to the area of the bar where the popcorn machine and such will be located.  They are all on a dimmer.

Also, between the screen, L, R, and center channel in wall speakers, there is actually very little stone needed.  Good because that stuff is pretty spendy.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Is strongly urge you to avoid it. It's a look that will become very dated. I say that as someone who has installed it professionally.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is strongly urge you to avoid it. It's a look that will become very dated. I say that as someone who has installed it professionally.
View Quote

Maybe so, but I've installed  it in several areas of my house, both interior and exterior already.   And we like it.  And going completely traditional is boring. And it won't be the end of the world to replace with something more in vogue down the road if need be.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Couple more pics

Speakers all in place:

Rock and trim done:

Link Posted: 9/10/2016 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks great! Nice work!
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 9:05:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm doing something similar, just finished hanging the drywall.

The openings on each side will have 3" can lights on a dimmer and 2 glass shelves. Something like this

I'm going to build a cabinet along the wall under the TV, 8 feet long and about 15" high and do stone above that, like this.

How did you attach the stone over the drywall, adhesive, lath and thinset? I've read you can use either of the above but thinset over durock is best. Since I'm starting from the ground up and the wall isn't big enough for there to be any significant difference in cost I figured id just do the durock.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 9:09:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks great
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#11]
looks nice.

how's the experience?

nice picture?

nice sound, that matches/complements the picture size?

I have a 110" screen w/ Optima projector in a much smaller room. Nothing is built in, so it doesn't look as finished as your room.
I really enjoy watching movies and football games (baseball looks great also)
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm doing something similar, just finished hanging the drywall.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/hotsaus/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160911_074515.jpg

The openings on each side will have 3" can lights on a dimmer and 2 glass shelves. Something like this
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/hotsaus/Mobile%20Uploads/CVG_Shelves_in_wall.jpg

I'm going to build a cabinet along the wall under the TV, 8 feet long and about 15" high and do stone above that, like this.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/hotsaus/Mobile%20Uploads/o.jpg

How did you attach the stone over the drywall, adhesive, lath and thinset? I've read you can use either of the above but thinset over durock is best. Since I'm starting from the ground up and the wall isn't big enough for there to be any significant difference in cost I figured id just do the durock.
View Quote

I like the idea of the cabinet along the floor and the pillars on either side of the screen.  I would have considered something similar, but the door to the guest room is only something like 6" from the wall.  I ended up building a cabinet into a the wall in the left side of the room as you are looking at the screen.  There is a utility room behind the cabinet so I have easy access to the backside.  There is also a Monster power supply/surge protector on the wall in the utility room.  There is a racetrack above the cabinet in the ceiling that leads to the projector.  Looks like you did a pretty good job planning out your electrical and raceways.

As far as the stone, I glued it to the wall with liquid nails.  The wall is drywall with primer.  I've done the lathe/scratch coat/mortar route and it SUCKS.  I would still do that on an exterior wall.  There are a couple of products that are fast set, where you can just hold the stone to the wall for a few seconds.  SRW Products makes one and so does Henkel/Loctite.  Liquid Nails works fine if you start from the bottom up.

If you are doing the stone route, I would recommend putting some accent lights on the ceiling or sconces on the wall at a shallow angle if you can.  The effect on the stone with all the shadow and texture looks pretty awesome.

Link Posted: 9/11/2016 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
looks nice.

how's the experience?

nice picture?

nice sound, that matches/complements the picture size?

I have a 110" screen w/ Optima projector in a much smaller room. Nothing is built in, so it doesn't look as finished as your room.
I really enjoy watching movies and football games (baseball looks great also)
View Quote

The experience is amazing.  We watched the newest Star Wars last Sunday.  My 6 year old daughter ducked once when a ship went flying by coming up from behind us.  Turned and looked at me with a huge smile and said "That was awesome!"

I have a LG 55" LED and Yamaha 5.1 setup upstairs.  It was a receiver that came with all the speakers and is about 3 or 4 years old.  It sounds like absolute garbage compared to what is downstairs..

I like football too and am sitting down here on the couch watching the Vikings/Titans game right now  

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Friggin awesome OP.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 1:01:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Friggin awesome OP.
View Quote

Thanks man!

I'm loving it.  Sitting on the couch in front of this setup as I type this listening to music off my phone via Bluetooth..

The familia and I watched the 1st back to the future the other night.  Pretty awesome.  I know there are a lot of people with a lot bigger budgets than myself, but I'm pretty proud with what I've come up with.  I still need to do some more work, mainly in my bar area, but really, this is within the budget of most all of us.  Just work...planning and elbow grease.  Really, I remodeled my whole basement with about $7k.  My whole theater setup was about $1600...including projector, screen, surround sound, and everything.  Pretty easy to just spend that on just a TV if you aren't conscious of what you are doing.   With a little bit of planning and work, a pretty awesome setup is within the budget of everyone these days.  Just go for it.

I fear most generations these days just want to find a way to raise the money to pay someone else to do everything for them.  There is certainly something to be said about doing it yourself.  I did 100% of this myself.  I'm 38 and I've got a 27 year old coworker who is embarking on a similar remodel to his house. He gives me hope about future generations because I fear this attitude is becoming less and less common.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 5:09:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow, that looks really nice, OP!!!!     The accent lights are perfect.

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 7:55:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I love it, OP.  

Im re-doing my 110" to make it 'float' and then add LED backlighting.

I had a grey Silver Ticket screen and changed to a 1.0 gain white Elite screen since I don't need the added blacks with the new PJ (Epson 5040ub.)
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Sent you a pm goodkat
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Brand of can lights used? Bulb type? Looking for a wall washer like that.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:25:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Would suggest a flat black ceiling
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Brand of can lights used? Bulb type? Looking for a wall washer like that.
View Quote
Sorry, haven't checked on this thread in quite a while.

Housings are 6" Lithonia Lighting from Menards Link

Bulbs are dimmable Torchstar 6" 120W eq. LED's from Amazon Link
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Would suggest a flat black ceiling
View Quote
Flat black is surely better for a pure home theater experience, but it's ugly as hell.  Since this room doubles as a family room and has a bar in the rear, it's a no-go.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 1:30:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Flat black is surely better for a pure home theater experience, but it's ugly as hell.  Since this room doubles as a family room and has a bar in the rear, it's a no-go.
View Quote
BLACK CEILING IS UGLY AS AIDS--I AGREE
but you will be losing picture quality/black levels with all that reflected light
I have suspended ceiling, so I ended hp hanging black cloth from the tiles-- not as ugly as you may think... :)
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:04:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I went flat battleship gray on the ceiling, doors and trim.  Dark blue on the walls.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top