Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2016 12:40:16 PM EDT
Lacking anything else to do, I went to see this last night.

It was way better then the reviewers said.  Way!  

A good summer time movie, I enjoyed it.

It was a mix of humor, emotion, action, and there were some pretty important issues/themes imbedded in the story, albeit in an over-the-top, superhero style.  The reviewers had some conceptual trouble with the fact the movie takes place in the past, in between a couple of the older X-Men movies.  I thought this was one of the cool things about movie - it gave opportunities for the audience to "participate", to say to themselves, "Oh, cool, I know where that's headed".  

The 3D was cool (meaning well done).  The only "in your face" 3D effect was when Jean Grey walks on thin air out over the edge of a building - she walks out of the screen into the audience.  I smiled.

Hey, The popcorn and soda was decent, too.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Meh.  A mediocre/shallow movie compared to its predecessors in this x men series.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Meh.  A mediocre/shallow movie compared to its predecessors in this x men series.
View Quote

Interesting comment because I did not like any of its predecessors.  I thought the exact same thing of them - mediocre and shallow.

I enjoyed this movie-going experience; not hugely so, but enough to once again question the critics' appraisals.

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Interesting comment because I did not like any of its predecessors.  I thought the exact same thing of them - mediocre and shallow.

I enjoyed this movie-going experience; not hugely so, but enough to once again question the critics' appraisals.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok then.  Lets look at user reviews.

RT:

First class:  87% of viewers liked it.

Days of future past: 92% of viewers liked it.

Apocalypse: 74% of viewers liked it.

IMDB:

First class: 7.8

Days of future past: 8.0

Apocalypse: 7.5

Trend is rather clear.

And say what you want about the critics, but with films like deadpool and civil war this year, the superhero films have to bring their A game.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Trend is rather clear.

And say what you want about the critics, but with films like deadpool and civil war this year, the superhero films have to bring their A game.
View Quote

Trends don't matter to me, I am more interested in YOUR opinion.  You see, it is personal opinions that matter to me, not "theirs" or some pundit's or trends.

I think the most striking thing about this film was how much better it was than I expected based on what the critics had said (with whom I frequently disagree) and how all the things they found confusing were perfectly clear to me.

Just as an example of personal opinion differences, I have absolutely no interest in Deadpool.  I found the basic premise of Civil War to be non-credible and found the movie a bit boring and predictable.

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:59:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Trends don't matter to me, I am more interested in YOUR opinion.  You see, it is personal opinions that matter to me, not "theirs" or some pundit's or trends.

I think the most striking thing about this film was how much better it was than I expected based on what the critics had said (with whom I frequently disagree) and how all the things they found confusing were perfectly clear to me.

Just as an example of personal opinion differences, I have absolutely no interest in Deadpool.  I found the basic premise of Civil War to be non-credible and found the movie a bit boring and predictable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trend is rather clear.

Those are personal opinions.  They have just been aggregated to a point/percentage scale.

I have no interest in deadpool either.  Though everybody seemed to be pleased with that film.  I don't see what isn't credible about the premise of civil war.  With that logic you could say the same thing about the winter soldier.  And I don't go into superhero films expecting a non predictable plot that can drag on at times.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 3:03:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't go into superhero films expecting a non predictable plot that can drag on at times.
View Quote

Hmmm,...  I agree, in general, about superhero films.  I suspect they will either evolve/improve or die out.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Those are personal opinions.  They have just been aggregated to a point/percentage scale.

View Quote

It is a poll.  I dislike them so much I tend not to participate in them.  They are too limiting and confining in the range of responses.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#8]
This was playing in the theater next to the one I was in suffering through the Lobster.  I wish I had chosen Apocalypse.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 9:54:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This was playing in the theater next to the one I was in suffering through the Lobster.  I wish I had chosen Apocalypse.
View Quote

It is much better than that film could ever possibly be.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:29:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A 4 hour film of my dog's most recent shit baking in the hot sun would be a much better film than the Lobster could ever be.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top