Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2016 11:32:55 PM EDT
Was able to catch this Monday morning... thought I'd start this thread as I don't see one yet.

Some thoughts:

1) I loved the way the writers worked in the "no, YOU miove" speech. Great fandom nod there.

2) The writers managed a "twists and turns" story akin to the one from "Skyfall" without making it dependent upon a series of impossible coincidences - solidly done. Maybe a second viewing would reveal more plot holes, but I was happy with the premise.

3) Seeing it just a few days after watching Batman v. Superman really made the better writing of the former stick out, but both featured an interesting take on mommy issues.

4) Wish I'd had the chance to see it in 3D.

5) I did not expect them to enter in the Spidey Story at the stage that they did... an interesting new take.

My only beef so far is that the characters who are not bullet proof or super-powered continue to seem to be. But this isn't exactly inconsistent with comic books or earlier movies. That, and I knew from the previews there were scenes yet to come, ruining a twist.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:56:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Do they acknowledge Agents of SHIELD in any way?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:25:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Glad to hear that it didn't suck, I'll hopefully actually get to catch this one sooner or later.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

No. One of my peeves right now with the Marvel Universe is that it has been clear since at least the last Avengers movie that Agents of SHIELD has spun off its own universe, a fact only further reinforced by season three of Agents of SHIELD.

I'm truly curious how they are going to work the Inhumans into the movie universe, as I am doubting whether any of the Agents of SHIELD backstory will be relevent.

It's a shame, really, because it wouldn't take much at all to fit things in. instead, we have flat-out contradictory events, such as the SHIELD helicarrier coming to the rescue in Age of Ultron while SHIELD's continued existence is still a surprise to people in the TV universe.

This particular storyline, though, really didn't need to invoke SHIELD.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I had no idea it was coming out this week. Awesome
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Glad to hear that it didn't suck, I'll hopefully actually get to catch this one sooner or later.
View Quote

It definitely didn't suck. And the Captain America movies continue to be the strongest in the ensemble. Not sure how this would flow as a standalone sequel to the other two, though, without The Avengers stories added to it. I think it would work, though, despite Sokovia and what happened there being key to the plot. Enough backstory is told in the movie that I think Age of Ultron is a bonus, and not mandatory.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No. One of my peeves right now with the Marvel Universe is that it has been clear since at least the last Avengers movie that Agents of SHIELD has spun off its own universe, a fact only further reinforced by season three of Agents of SHIELD.

I'm truly curious how they are going to work the Inhumans into the movie universe, as I am doubting whether any of the Agents of SHIELD backstory will be relevent.

It's a shame, really, because it wouldn't take much at all to fit things in. instead, we have flat-out contradictory events, such as the SHIELD helicarrier coming to the rescue in Age of Ultron while SHIELD's continued existence is still a surprise to people in the TV universe.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about agent carter?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:59:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What about agent carter?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about agent carter?

I don't recall anything from that series ever contradicted by the movies... but I can't say I would have noticed tiny details. She was, of course, mentioned - and her niece continues to play a role,
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#9]
i think its gonna be crap. there are too may characters...from my past observations. when ever there are too many characters in a comic driven movie it will definitely suck.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:19:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i think its gonna be crap. there are too may characters...from my past observations. when ever there are too many characters in a comic driven movie it will definitely suck.
View Quote

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain_america_civil_war/
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 2:08:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

Hasn't seen the movie yet but has already decided it will suck... even though all reviews say it's awesome.

I saw it tonight and it was fantastic.  Spiderman is a badass and I'm looking forward to the standalone movie to make up for the last 3 disastrous movies.

The Dr. Strange trailer plays beforehand and that one looks incredible, as well.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 8:38:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Whedon was able to balance 9 main characters on Firefly.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:22:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was well done. Making it a Captain America movie allowed the focus to be where it needed to be.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 4:42:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, but since the Netflix shows are part of the MCU, it would have been cool if they had some acknowledgement of Daredevil, Punisher, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones. Even if it was on the news on the TV in the Spider-Man recruitment scene or something.

Overall it was awesome.

After all is said an done I'm not sure how anyone could be on "Team Stark".
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:49:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
No, but since the Netflix shows are part of the MCU, it would have been cool if they had some acknowledgement of Daredevil, Punisher, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones. Even if it was on the news on the TV in the Spider-Man recruitment scene or something.

Overall it was awesome.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Overall it was awesome.

I have a feeling that, moving forward, there won't be a Team Stark.  Tony was already seeing the error of his ways toward the end of the movie.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 4:29:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a feeling that, moving forward, there won't be a Team Stark.  Tony was already seeing the error of his ways toward the end of the movie.
View Quote

It'll be interesting to see how they reorganize for The Infinity Wars. Right now they're a hot mess.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Overall it was awesome.

Maybe they are de-emphasizing Stark and making him a bit unlikable so that we won't mind as much when the character is no longer being played by RDJ.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Maybe they are de-emphasizing Stark and making him a bit unlikable so that we won't mind as much when the character is no longer being played by RDJ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Overall it was awesome.

i thought they reupped RDJ for a bunch more films. Talk about a man that took a career chance and will probably walk away a Billionaire from it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I saw it yesterday.  The Last fight between Ironman and The Captain was less than stellar.  It was so needed for Different reasons. As in Before Stark learned.....

out of

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:02:54 AM EDT
[#22]
it was okay, end of day it was a revenge movie where a regular guy outsmarts a dozen plus superheroes.

it also seems like nearly every character is near superman in abilities, at least the ability to take a punch or fly through the air 50 feet after a punch into a concrete wall.

maybe its just me, but all these superhero movies are starting to run together...  

well, at least one other guy, lots of punching:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJvUTFVqwJQ
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope, good movie.

Txl
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Caught it last night.  I felt they did a good job.

SPOILER:  While I thought it was interesting to introduce villains such as Crossbones, Baron Zemo, and members of the Winter Army, it's a pity some were short lived.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

The Sokovia Accords was mentioned on AoS the other night.  Since SHIELD is back to being a shadow organization, they're trying to avoid getting messed up in the Sokovia Accords.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Overall it was awesome.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Overall it was awesome.

Seriously?  Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Overall it was awesome.

Seriously you.
How so?

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:42:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really, in age of ultron there was a bit of talk about having dusted it off out of hiding or something. everyone was surprised to se fury.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I saw the movie this last Saturday, the same day I got back from Yellowstone.  I'd been up since 4:30AM, but I went to a 10:30PM IMAX 3D show anyway and didn't get out till 1:30AM, but I didn't regret it.  What an awesome movie.  I have to go see that again at least once.
Everything about this movie worked, without a false beat to it, IMHO.  Every character had a part to play and they were all excellent.  Easily one of the top three MCU movies, up there with Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#30]
BTW with respect to crossing over with AoS, there are huge logistic problems.  Movies are written and cast at least a year and sometimes two or three years in advance.  TV shows are planned month to month.  How do you bring in, say, Agent May in a guest role in an Avengers movie when maybe she gets killed off, or paralyzed, or taken over by an alien mind control bug in the episode of the show that airs before the movie?  It's not workable.
They can and have had movie people cross over into the TV show:  Maria Hill and Nick Fury.  But for the most part, these are expensive actors who would cost a good portion of the show's weekly budget for a guest spot.
Also, they can't cross over the Netflix shows to AoS either because the actors are contracted to different studios.  Crossing over the Netflix stars to a movie would run into the same problems as AoS.  The most they can do is mention the happenings in the movie universe during the TV shows.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
BTW with respect to crossing over with AoS, there are huge logistic problems.  Movies are written and cast at least a year and sometimes two or three years in advance.  TV shows are planned month to month.  How do you bring in, say, Agent May in a guest role in an Avengers movie when maybe she gets killed off, or paralyzed, or taken over by an alien mind control bug in the episode of the show that airs before the movie?  It's not workable.
They can and have had movie people cross over into the TV show:  Maria Hill and Nick Fury.  But for the most part, these are expensive actors who would cost a good portion of the show's weekly budget for a guest spot.
Also, they can't cross over the Netflix shows to AoS either because the actors are contracted to different studios.  Crossing over the Netflix stars to a movie would run into the same problems as AoS.  The most they can do is mention the happenings in the movie universe during the TV shows.
View Quote

Since Whedon has been overseeing the writing of both AoS and the movies, continuity has been consistent.  Once a release date is picked for a movie, the season(s) worth of story lines need to be written to fit within that time period.  I noticed AoS and Agent Carter both had either back to back episodes, or took a week or two off from time to time, and that may have been done to make series events happen in the right order.  It leaves room for cases in which a show may require re-scheduling.

The character crossovers haven't all been one sided, from movie to TV.  In Captain America 2 there were characters that were introduced on AoS
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#32]
The character crossovers haven't all been one sided, from movie to TV. In Captain America 2 there were characters that were introduced on AoS
View Quote

Which ones?

I'm not looking for major crossover event between the show and the movies, but it would be nice if they gave a nod to the fans of the show in the movies. Something like having a member of Coulson's team on the helicarrier in Ultron. Something simple or even at the level of an Easter egg.

Eta: Saw the movie over the weekend with my boys. We all thought it was pretty good. I think they did a great job with Black Panther and Spidey.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#33]
I stand corrected.  Maximiliano Hernández  (aka Agent Jasper Sitwell) appeared in the movie Thor before appearing on three episodes of AoS,  Avengers, and Captain America 2.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 3:12:32 AM EDT
[#34]
He appeared in a couple of the One Shot shorts on the blurays as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top