Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2016 11:26:18 PM EDT
Have a newish Samsung tv that's been great. Literally overnight audio no longer works on it. Neither through my directv or my DVD player. They're both connected via HDMI cables. I've tried changing out the cables and it didn't do shit. This is driving me nuts I can't figure it out. It's set to PCM, mute isn't on, captions aren't on, language is set to English. I cannot for the life of me figure out why a near brand new tv is doing this.

On top of they when I run a sound test through the tv, the speakers work and play a melody and in the settings I have it set to the tv speaker.

Help me please.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:01:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Try the other audio output modes.

Honestly, think about rewriting the problem statement.  What works?  What doesn't?
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 11:55:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Fixed it. For the tenth time I unplugged everything and plugged it back in a few minutes later and suddenly it works. No idea why, but what the hell ever just glad it's fixed. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#3]
My new LG will do this sometimes. Every once in a while just turning it off for a minute, then turn back on will sort it out.

These new smart tv's seem to get confused occasionally.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:39:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fixed it. For the tenth time I unplugged everything and plugged it back in a few minutes later and suddenly it works. No idea why, but what the hell ever just glad it's fixed. Thanks.
View Quote

Just my guess,...

HDMI cables are terrible!  The cables aren't so bad, really, it's the connectors that suck.  They need to havesome sort of strain relief (and don't) and some sort of locking feature (and don't).  As a consequence, they are very unreliable.  The tiniest movement of the stiff cable gets transmitted to the inherently loose connector and can cause a disconnect even though it is still "plugged in" and was "working just fine a minute ago".

I added an external strain relief on mine and have had almost no trouble since.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top