Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/29/2016 10:09:46 AM EDT
Something like a bookshelf speaker with a 6" or 8" driver?
I've had all kinds over the years, and they sound great at lower volumes, but crank them up and they become fart machines.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 10:18:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Sure, the PSB Alphas.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 10:51:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Good book shelf speakers and a great powered sub. Book shelves are for mods and highs. Let the sub do the heavy lifting. Hell a good sound bar and a sub sounds good.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Bose
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bose
View Quote

He said good speakers
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

He said good speakers
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bose

He said good speakers

Ha, Bose their solution to time alignment is to aim the drivers towards the back wall and just know it doesn't add any coloration.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Something like a bookshelf speaker with a 6" or 8" driver?
I've had all kinds over the years, and they sound great at lower volumes, but crank them up and they become fart machines.
View Quote

If you want good attack on the lower end, you NEED to add a powered sub. I doubt there are even many floorstanding speakers that can really do the lower end of the spectrum justice without spending a ton of money. There are some Klipsch bookshelf speakers with 8 inch drivers that might do ok, but adding a powered sub is going to make a world of difference in the sound. Personally, I've had the best luck with 10 inch drivers for metal music as they seem to handle the punch/attack with better authority than a 12 or 15 inch driver, but there are many many more variables than just the driver size. Go try to find a place where you can listen to a bunch.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 1:05:39 AM EDT
[#8]
A speaker geared more towards home theater would probably suit hard rock / heavy metal a little better. HT speakers tend to be up front and bright. Thats what makes bullets flying through glass sound so good. It also makes for good guitar solos. It will also make classical and other layed back music sound to sharp / bright. Either way a powered sub should be used unless your going to get towers and an amp to power them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 1:22:45 AM EDT
[#9]
There's no replacement for displacement.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I have Klipsch bookshelf speakers with a Klipsch subwoofer. They're in my office and they do just fine. They've served up plenty of metal for the last 10 years.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 10:12:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

He said good speakers
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bose

He said good speakers

lol
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Bose
View Quote

B(etter) O(rder) S(omething) E(lse)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top