Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2016 6:04:19 PM EDT
Samsung players are starting to hit the shelves at $399, and disks should be dropping at around $30 each.

I've always been into getting the latest and greatest. Had to special order my first DVD player cause nobody even knew what the were, it was over 1k.

But I'm just not sure about this format, what with up conversion, and steaming..
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Physical media is dead.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Physical media is dead.
View Quote

Especially at $30.  Can buy digital for half that.  And 4K is coming.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Physical media is dead.

Good like trying to stream 4K in high quality.

Better to wait a while for more options to appear before choosing a 4k blu ray player.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#4]
My player is showing up today.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:55:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine showed up Wednesday. Blu-Rays look good. App selection is ok. HDR playback via USB looks as good as I hoped it would. The Martian should be here on Monday, in UHD 4K
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Got this one for $100.  Haven't messed with it yet though.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#7]
That's not the same animal. Believe OP is talking about new format for UHD 4K blu-rays that are coming out between now and March 1st.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That's not the same animal. Believe OP is talking about new format for UHD 4K blu-rays that are coming out between now and March 1st.
View Quote

Gotcha.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yup

My player is all setup.  Just waiting on my discs.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I should be receiving "The Martian" on Monday, from Best Buy. Not in a huge hurry just to say "I have them" and pay extra $$$. But would be nice to have at least ONE UHD 4k to show the wife "see, this is what the fuss was all about"

Have on order:
-Mad Max: Fury Road
- Maze Runner 1&2
- Hitman 47
- Last Witch Hunter

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Avoid first gen 4k bd players. They are total shit. Is not true 4k.  Just upscaled 1080p.

If you want to demo 4k.  Go on eBay or Samsung's site and buy a cheap 4k uhd video pack.  It comes on a 1tb drive loaded with movies and films.  I picked one up for $50.  Simply amazing.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Meh. Needed a stand alone disc player. UHD 4k coming out, seemed to make sense. No worries.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I learned not to be an early adopter, any one remember HD DVD? Laser Discs, etc

I the technology takes hold then I'll buy into it and if discs are $10 or less will purchase
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:29:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Got 4 movies today from Best Buy.  I watched the Martian and have mixed feelings.  Lots of great scenes and the HDR color looks amazing.  I did notice quite a bit of compression in the Mars outdoor scenes.  It's possible an issue due to the special effects being rendered in 2k instead of 4K.  Got exodus, scortch trials and hitman to watch.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quick update on my compression issues.  I reset my 20pt calibration back to factory on my user settings.  That just about eliminated all the compression in the Martian.  Now the great challenge of how to calibrate it back.  

Also as a note on hdmi cables.  

Rocket fish cable from Best Buy worked without any issues

Mediabridge slim cable will do everything but YCbCR color format.  When that was specified it pitched a fit and th screen kept flashing on and off.

The Amazon Basic slim cable did not even display a picture.  

Gotta love new copy protections and spec changes.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't know what to believe about HDMI cables anymore. It's a digital signal, if they don't work, then I'm lead to believe there is a bad connection in the cable somewhere. Everything I have read says, as long as they are rated high speed, that's all you need, but reading reviews on Amazon, I see lots of people saying they had problems with 4K.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:32:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I don't know what to believe about HDMI cables anymore. It's a digital signal, if they don't work, then I'm lead to believe there is a bad connection in the cable somewhere. Everything I have read says, as long as they are rated high speed, that's all you need, but reading reviews on Amazon, I see lots of people saying they had problems with 4K.
View Quote

It's actually a little more complicated as there's a bandwidth threshold that the cable must be able to achieve.  So in some instances they are not capable of handling the data.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Got The Martian today. Looks great. Going to watch it tonight after dinner. Previewed it when UPS came just to see what UHD 4K would be like. I hsve no complaints.

Regarding cables- I use BLUE JEANS CABLE for all my HDMI and subwoofer connections. They work great and dont break the bank.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:00:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Watched hitman tonight.  Pretty decent in most areas.  The biggest adjustment for this era is HDR lighting and coloring.  It's NOT what we've all been used to.  Just a simple example is fires/explosions.  There's so much more vibrancy to the colors.  You get an amazing blend of yellows/reds/oranges not possible with blu-Ray.  

Again gonna take a bit to get used to.  I'm pretty happy with the direction.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Watched hitman tonight.  Pretty decent in most areas.  The biggest adjustment for this era is HDR lighting and coloring.  It's NOT what we've all been used to.  Just a simple example is fires/explosions.  There's so much more vibrancy to the colors.  You get an amazing blend of yellows/reds/oranges not possible with blu-Ray.  

View Quote

I watched The Martian last night. Looked good. A lot of the outside/in-the-dark stuff, with their LED lamps on the helmets was pretty amazing. The jump to 4K isnt so noticeable, becasuse I have been watching 4k-uspcaled for almost 3 months now, but the color and lighting... AWESOME! It isnt something I would run out and buy an entirely new system for, but since I was in the market at this time, it is a feature that I am happy to use.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I watched The Martian last night. Looked good. A lot of the outside/in-the-dark stuff, with their LED lamps on the helmets was pretty amazing. The jump to 4K isnt so noticeable, becasuse I have been watching 4k-uspcaled for almost 3 months now, but the color and lighting... AWESOME! It isnt something I would run out and buy an entirely new system for, but since I was in the market at this time, it is a feature that I am happy to use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

agreed

To be fair as well, apparently most if not all the current 4k movies were made using 2K intermediaries.   So we aren't not seeing the full potential yet.  Will using a 4K source make all the difference?  Not sure.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#22]
The only real 4k content I have viewed yet are the wildlife videos on YouTube, and they look amazing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 7:24:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The only real 4k content I have viewed yet are the wildlife videos on YouTube, and they look amazing.
View Quote
Yup
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, I wish that channel would make new videos. J&K I think is the name. Their Birds of Prey video is AWESOME!
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Better to wait a while for more options to appear before choosing a 4k blu ray player.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Physical media is dead.

Google 'Google Fiber.'

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:09:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Google 'Google Fiber.'

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Physical media is dead.

Google 'Google Fiber.'

Look up the definition of the word niche.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 8:03:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

The blacklist on netflixs is in 4K I watched all the episodes on my Samsung 4K curved and it was amazing
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 12:32:55 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't do streaming, so I can't help you there. I like my movies on a solid format like Blu ray discs. Not some video streaming service that you have to subscribe to. Nor do I trust these streaming services as I am having a lot of trouble with ATT Uverse in DVRing and recording TV/cable shows because I keep getting a pixilation/image freezing problem that they can't seem to totally correct. I won't subscribe to streaming and risk losing the image. Also, streaming HD programs does not produce the same 1080p images as a Blu ray disc provides.

That and I am also on pre-order for the new Samsung 4K UHD player due by the end of the month. I have already received 4K Blu ray discs of Salt and Sicario and have pre-ordered Dead Pool and a few others. No way streaming will give me the same quality as 4K Blu ray discs. It's the same way you can watch HD movies on cable and then watch the same movie on a Blu ray disc and you can see the huge difference. Cable TV HD is like watching 720p and Blu ray disc is a full 1080p. The difference is huge.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 12:45:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#30]
So far I have the following movies now in 4K

Maze Runner

Maze Runner: Scorch Trials

Mad Max: Fury Road

Hitman: Agent 47

Chappie

The Martian

Exodus

Life of Pi (on the way)
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I learned not to be an early adopter, any one remember HD DVD? Laser Discs, etc

I the technology takes hold then I'll buy into it and if discs are $10 or less will purchase
View Quote

$10 per disk before you'll buy a player. I'm guessing you don't even have a Blu ray player as discs of recent movie releases average $20-$35 per disc depending on the movie. So, you're still watching dvd's at 425 lines as opposed to 1080 for Blu ray?
By the time that 4K UHD takes off then Blu ray discs should drop to $10-$20 per disc and you can upgrade to Blu ray. That's not for me. Watching movies on a 75" HDTV demands at least Blu ray discs. Dvd's just look awful under 1080p. I'm looking forward to 4K. I have 2 4K movies and my 4K player is due to be released next week.

By the way, you can't compare the HD DVD vs  Blu ray format fight to 4K, as there is no competing 4K disc format like there was for Blu ray. As for Laserdisc, that was a dinosaur from the get go with the large size of those discs.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Just watched Life of Pi. It's what HDR and expanded colors are meant to be.   So far this is the movie I'd demo.  Granted have an OLED helps even more when blacks are BLACK.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top