Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2016 9:07:37 AM EDT
Looking into getting a soundbar with a sub for my TV, but from what I have seen only a couple out there offer more than one HDMI input.  I need a minimum of two.  Cable box and the BluRay player.  Sony offers what I need at the budget that I have, but I've been reading reviews that the dialog coming out of the system is not the best. Hell, I've already got issues hearing what is being said half the time already, don't want to add to the issue.
I see that Sony does have a setting called Dialog enhancer.  I'm wondering if these were even set up properly.

Don't even suggest a receiver and speaker systems.  Just not going to spend that kind of coin on a system. Trying to stay around $400 or less, might be able to push $450 if all the planets are aligned properly and the wife is in a good mood.

EDIT:  Looking at the Sony HT-CT780
Best Buy
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Does you TV have HDMI out? If so, run that to the sound bar from TV TV for audio, and you will only need one input.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 4:57:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does you TV have HDMI out? If so, run that to the sound bar from TV TV for audio, and you will only need one input.
View Quote

No, but it does have an audio return on input 1. I don't think I have ever seen a TV or monitor with and HDMI out due to HDCP encoding laws. Thus the "return" on input 1.  I think I could have even used my optical out to the sound bar and and gotten away with it as you described.
 I actually went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Sony HTCT 780 since I found a great deal on one that was open box. Should be here next week.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 5:08:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Does your TV have an optical out? Our Samsung sound bar in the living room is using our TV's optical out and it works fine. Sound bars are not the best use of today's crazy nuts HD Audio codecs, so going with a regular optical cable should suffice for almost all situations.

If you do go optical, make sure to check your TV's settings for any sort of audio delay and make sure it is set to off or zero.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 8:51:39 AM EDT
[#4]
UPDATE:  Overnight delivery!  It will be here today!  I'll report back after I get home and get it installed.

UPDATE II:  Got it installed and tweaked in.  Sounds great!  Had to turn the bass down quite a bit from standard settings. Watching American Treasure II last night and Ed Harris' voice was so damned deep you almost couldn't understand him.  Seems like they enhanced his vocals with bass over everyone else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top