Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2015 2:01:59 AM EDT
I'll start and leave it spoiler free for my first post, but sure we will get a discussion going that has spoilers.  My original thoughts are below and copied from an email to my friends, however I think I am already coming around to giving it a higher rating, like they say, lighten up Francis.   Given the stakes, it makes sense why JJ Abrams decided to play it safe.

This review pretty much nails the Force Awakens and is spoiler free. But in one sentence from review: The Force Awakens sometimes plays like a cover version of the original 1977 film.

http://www.vox.com/2015/12/17/10383876/ ... ens-review

On a scale of 5 stars, I think I would give it 3.75. 3.5 seems too low but 4 seems just a little too strong. I am a tough reviewer though, maybe I will lighten up in the days to come. If you had never seen star wars before, you might rank it higher.

Really hoping to see more Stormtrooper back story, esp. after all the hype around Captain Phasma, she had 4 lines. But as review says, feels like a lot of setup for the next two movies.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I enjoyed it a lot.  I saw it on Thursday and again last night.  There was another spoiler thread in GD but it somehow disappeared.

I agree that it feels like a rehash of A New Hope.  The plot is very, very similar.  I also agree that they are setting things up for the next movies.

The Good -
  • The new cast did a really good job.  I think they did a great job casting this movie.

• This movie did a fantastic job of capturing the feeling of the original movies.  It feels like it fits really well in with the series.

• The action scenes were great, from the lightsaber battles to X-wing/TIE fighter battles.

• Even the droid BB-8 was less annoying that I thought he was going to be.

• The CGI was great.  I very rarely was distracted by it.  There were two characters that were fully CGI and they were done well.

The Bad -
  • I didn't care for the actor that played General Hux.  Maybe because I knew him from other stuff.

• Carrie Fisher wasn't that great.  She didn't really show any emotion at all.  Maybe it was from all the plastic surgery.

• Greg Grunberg annoyed me, but I think I still dislike him from when he was Matt in the tv show Heroes.

• I kind of groaned when their was yet another "Death Star" they had to destroy in almost the same way as the original.  This really made it feel like a rehash of the original movie.

The Ugly -
  • Fin's character seemed out of place in the Star Wars universe.  It felt like they put him in just to have one-liners.  He really didn't fit the profile of someone that was conditioned all of his life to be a Storm Trooper.

• That one Storm Trooper just so happened to be carrying a lightsaber resistant melee weapon when Fin first got the lightsaber?  Mmm hmm.

Here are some of my thoughts on what happened or what might happen.

I think Rey is going to be Luke's daughter.  I think when Ben (Kylo) went to the dark side and killed everyone, Luke wiped Rey's memory and hid her on Jakku.  I think she had a little bit of training and that's why she was able to use the Force so easily.

Kylo will redeem himself in some way or another.  They hinted at it way too much.

I liked how Han died.  I'm glad it wasn't some other dumb way.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#2]
All trilogies:

Movie #1 - introduce characters and establish the central conflict

Movie #2 - pursue the plot and prepare for final conflict

Movie #3 - final conflict is explored and resolved

Actually, whether the story is in a book or a movie, that is how it works.  

I liked seeing the old characters back again.  Agreed, this is very much like Episodes IV thru VI.

I did NOT like the bad guy.  That is, he did not scare me the way Darth Vader did.  Why do they pick crappy actors to play Darth Vader-ish characters?  First, Hayden Christensen and now this guy - they were terrible.

GREAT BAD GUYS:  Dick Prowse/James Earl Jones (Darth Vader), Iam Mcdiarmid (Evil Emperor); Ray Park (Darth Maul) and now Andy Serkis (Snoke)

I liked Finn.  Yes, there was a credibility problem with the character.  Still, the actor did a great job.

Daisy Ridley was GREAT!  Not because she's a babe, she did a great job acting.  

I hope those two are able to keep it up and even improve in the next two films.

Mark Hamill,... this could be really good.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#3]
The theater I was in on Saturday night had ~25 people in it.  They were all over the age of 50.  It was empty.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:55:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Just came back from it.

Might as well have called it Episode VII: A New Hope.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:39:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I think it was a great movie, original trilogy feel, no annoying jar jar bonks character! Thank you JJ Abrams for that all in all, I'm going to see it a couple of more times
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 6:05:53 AM EDT
[#6]
As a big fan, I have to say Kylo Ren is a big pussy. He's force attuned, but I can't say he's dark Jedi status. Maybe I had higher expectations, it was good but not exceptional.

The ending was too rushed. Starkiller base was destroyed too quickly and easily.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 7:02:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As a big fan, I have to say Kylo Ren is a big pussy. He's force attuned, but I can't say he's dark Jedi status. Maybe I had higher expectations, it was good but not exceptional.

The ending was too rushed. Starkiller base was destroyed too quickly and easily.
View Quote
That was kind of a central part of the movie, that killing you know who was what it would take for him to fully embrace the darkside, but it would in no way make him a player without more training, which was mentioned.  It was also mentioned that no one thought he was Vader level even a little bit.

Link Posted: 12/26/2015 7:27:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 3:27:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

GREAT BAD GUYS:  Dick Prowse/James Earl Jones (Darth Vader), Iam Mcdiarmid (Evil Emperor); Ray Park (Darth Maul) and now Andy Serkis (Snoke).
View Quote

How was Darth Maul a great bad guy? He was all gimmick, it was all about him looking like the devil and having a two bladed sabre. Thats all he had going for him.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just came back from it.

View Quote

Which was A New Hope and Which was The Force Awakens?

Secret given to a droid.
Droid flees
Huge bad guy force looking for droid on desert planet
Escape bad guys from desert planet in assumed junk spaceship.
Junk spaceship is disabled and captured via tractor beam.
into a ....
Gigantic space weapon shaped like a ball.
Said ship blows up billions of people
Good guys fly down the big balls trenches. and fight
Death of a Major character involving long intimate history between the two and it is ended with a light sabre
Big ball blows up
Everyone celebrates
the end.

ALmost in the same exact order as well save for the timing of the weapon being fired..

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 3:35:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Secret given to a droid.
Droid flees
into a ....
Death of a Major character involving long intimate history between the two and it is ended with a light sabre
Big ball blows up
Everyone celebrates
the end.

ALmost in the same exact order as well save for the timing of the weapon being fired..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just came back from it.

Secret given to a droid.
Droid flees
into a ....
Big ball blows up
Everyone celebrates
the end.

Yep, pretty disappointed overall.  Would smash the chick though
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#12]
It also tried way too hard with ironic twists. --

Instead of Leia giving a secret to a droid to give to someone, someone gave a secret to a droid to give to Leia.
Instead of the bad guys disabling and capturing the Sole and the Falcon with a Empire ship, Han Solo  does it with a stolen First Order ship.

Probably many more I tried to forget about.

Oh and bet your ass on this--
Instead of Luke being hidden away on a desert planet, Luke hides his daughter away on a desert planet.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I was disappointed.  The story was rehashed blehhhhh.  Too many of the characters had no screen appeal, were out of place, or both.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Kylo will redeem himself in some way or another.  They hinted at it way too much.
View Quote

probably. He is trying to be like Vader afterall and Vader redeemed himself and embraced the light side in the end
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#16]
hated that they Click To View Spoiler
down playing the original cast to make room for new I can handle but I didn't like that

I did like that Akbar was in it with the original actor and voice actor, he should have said it was a trap as corny as it would have been to have him repeat the line
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 1:18:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
down playing the original cast to make room for new I can handle but I didn't like that

I did like that Akbar was in it with the original actor and voice actor, he should have said it was a trap as corny as it would have been to have him repeat the line
View Quote

I don't think you have to use a spoiler tag. The thread is for folks who have seen it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 1:19:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Oh go ahead and call it Tatooine. Why not. They friggin may as well have had it all happen there again.
I guess the biggest switch was the cantina scene taking place on a different planet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just came back from it.

Secret given to a droid.
Droid flees
Droid captured by desert planet scavengers
Taken from scavengers by new protagonist

New protagonist hides in floor of junk spaceship when boarded
into a ....
Good guys navigate hallways and corridors of space weapon without being captured or killed (with exception of next line)

Big ball blows up
Everyone celebrates
the end.

Oh go ahead and call it Tatooine. Why not. They friggin may as well have had it all happen there again.
I guess the biggest switch was the cantina scene taking place on a different planet.

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 1:58:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I was waiting for Jakku to be revealed as the former Tattooine.
View Quote

Its like they knew they ripped off 87% of Episode IV but were worried their cover would be blown if they called it Tatooine.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't think you have to use a spoiler tag. The thread is for folks who have seen it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, but there are always those people that ignore the warnings
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 2:30:32 AM EDT
[#22]

It was disappointing that they did not expand on the chromed-out stormtrooper (Captain Phasma, apparently).  The trailers made her out to be as badass as Kylo Ren (who turned out to be not so badass).  In searching for the stormtrooper's character name, I came across an article that she is played by the same actress who plays Game of Thrones character Brienne of Tarth (the blonde amazon).  Interesting, but so much for hoping it was a hot chick under that mirrored helmet.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/4/8545735/star-wars-captain-phasma-gwendoline-christie

Link Posted: 2/28/2016 11:16:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I hated that they made Kylo Ren out basically as a kid throwing a temper tantrum, especially when he tears that room apart with his lightsaber, and gets all whiney on the walkway with Han...

He basically came of as a whiney emo kid rebelling against mommy and daddy and throwing tantrums because he can't get his way, didn't scream sith to me...
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 11:23:57 PM EDT
[#24]
In all reality it was just reminded me of the first one.  Some new people, some old ones, but nothing particularly new and different.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Its like they knew they ripped off 87% of Episode IV but were worried their cover would be blown if they called it Tatooine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was waiting for Jakku to be revealed as the former Tattooine.

Jakku (and the battle which left all the hardware laying around) are supposedly from one of the book series tied to the franchise.  This is definitely a departure from Luca's viewpoint that all the creative content and story lines that appear outside the movies is not considered canon or affects continuity.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 6:53:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I hated that they made Kylo Ren out basically as a kid throwing a temper tantrum, especially when he tears that room apart with his lightsaber, and gets all whiney on the walkway with Han...

He basically came of as a whiney emo kid rebelling against mommy and daddy and throwing tantrums because he can't get his way, didn't scream sith to me...
View Quote

See, I think this is part of what makes him great.  He's pure emotion, he's not calculated he's just raw, which is all part of using the dark side of the force.  Right down to him taking a body shot from the bowcaster ( a weapon that we've seen one shot many foes,) and him smashing the wound to get adrenaline dumps.  I think they are doing it right with Kylo.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just came back from it.

View Quote

I am late to the party, but I didn't want to see it in a theater filled with little fuckers texting on their cell phones, so I waited for it to come to the little one screen old folks theater. I think it should have been called Episode VII: The Disappointment Awakens. I tried to like it. I really did my best. The whole falling out between Han and Leia made zero sense. Duke tucking tail and running away after his experience with the semi-turned bad apple, made less sense. Fin isn't really that out of place, when you think about affirmative action. Another Death Star? WTF?! May JJ Abrams be repeatedly sodomized by elephants for all times, for this monstrosity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top