Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2015 11:26:57 AM EDT
I have a 7.1 Sony receiver that I used in the living room of our home.  Due to size constraints I only had it set up 5.1.  Basement is now finished and moved the entire system downstairs.  My old sub was part of a previous all-in-one Panasonic unit that required a separate receiver for it to power (crowding up my TV stand).  Looking for an upgrade now that I can finally take advantage of 7.1 surround sound.  I'm looking at two current options currently.  Best Buy will have this sub 50% on black Friday which would end up being $225.  While doing some quick research and knowing arfcom likes Monoprice (I also use their wires and HDMI cables and like them a lot), found they have this subwoofer on sale for $85.  
Is the Monoprice worth the money?  Or would it be better to upgrade to a name brand?  Anybody have any other options for a decent subwoofer?  I'm looking at a minimum of 12"
Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 3:35:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a couple Jensen subs very similiar to the monoprice sub......they r pretty decent for what they are, but I would browse thru the Partsexpress flyer and build your own sub.    They are a fantastic company and you can pick up what you want for a decent price, especially if you have a little patience and catch their stuff on sale (sign up for their email flyer and deals).

Also look into bass shakers to install in the couch.   Sounds ghetto, but I installed two (one really is plenty) in my couch and powered them with seperate APA 150 amps.   Really adds another dimension to your movies.   I got the amps and bass shakers from PartsExpress.

But if you are in a hurry, for the price, the monoprice sub is ok.   It will definately help and you can always use it for another system or sell it if/when you decide to upgrade.    

Have fun!!
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 3:41:27 AM EDT
[#2]
SVS. 12" makes my whole house rumble.  350 500 watt amp.

Nothing you buy for $250 will give you what you want.

Txl

Edit to correct wattage
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 3:58:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 5:45:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Is that 1500 watts ptp, or rms?

Txl
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 6:10:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SVS. 12" makes my whole house rumble.  350 watt amp.

Nothing you buy for $250 will give you what you want.

Txl
View Quote

I don't need this to make my entire house rumble.  We sectioned an area of the basement roughly 14' x 11' for an entertainment area.  The stereo will be used 80% movies & 20% for music.  For my living room, I will upgrade to "house rumbling" speakers when funds allow as I listen to music mostly up there.  Timing isn't a necessity right now, I just thought with black Friday coming around I might be able to get a little more for my money.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

RMS, it's actually 1550w at the impedance at which it's being run (bridged, two 8 ohm subs in parallel).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is that 1500 watts ptp, or rms?

Txl

RMS, it's actually 1550w at the impedance at which it's being run (bridged, two 8 ohm subs in parallel).

With my receiver, computer, and plasma don't think my house wiring could handle that additional draw.

Txl
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#8]
JR, if you can, go listen to that Klipsch.  For your basement, it's probably perfect.

And for that price, seems to be a good deal.

Txl
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#9]
where abouts in PA are you?

$399 + free shipping.  They are based in OH.

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

http://www.svsound.com/products/sb12-nsd

View Quote

Hello of a deal.

Txl
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Central PA.  I must've misread the sales ad for best buy.  50% only pertains to the 10: sub, not the 12".  Bummer
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:21:56 AM EDT
[#12]
What is the floor made of?  What are the walls made of?

That might have an impact on what type of sub you need to use.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:08:22 PM EDT
[#13]
fooor is concrete with insulated carpet...walls drywall
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Does anyone here have experience with Dayton Audio subwoofers?

Link
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Hello of a deal.
Txl
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.svsound.com/products/sb12-nsd

Hello of a deal.
Txl

That link fails, and I'm not seeing an SB12 on their website.
The cheapest ones they have listed are the SB-1000 (sealed enclosure - more precise, not as loud - better for music) and the PB-1000 (ported enclosure, louder, not quite as musical - better for HT.)
Both are $499, but of course can be found cheaper at a dealer.

SVS is good stuff.

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#16]
was black Friday deal.

Link probably erased.

Txl
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Does anyone here have experience with Dayton Audio subwoofers?

Link
View Quote
I've used numerous Dayton subs, woofers, tweeters and amps over the years.  In fact, I'm using this all Dayton speaker design for my front 3 speakers.  http://projectgallery.parts-express.com/speaker-projects/the-d-iii/

Check out the AVS DIY section - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/ for dozens of examples of Dayton subs.  For the same price you can beat that with a flat-pack.  You will save money if you can build your own box.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top