Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2015 7:00:10 PM EDT
Howdy.  I'm thinking maybe I need a server that I can store movies onto, over a network, that can play them out over HDMI with a remote control.  

We have a TIVO Roamio OTA used most of the time for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and antenna--that's going well.  

Here's the problem:  For watching a legally downloaded movie I use a last year's Apple TV--playing the movie over AirPlay to the Apple TV.  My MacBook laptop's SSHD space is limited and I give up my laptop during movie play--annoying if the wife likes the movie and I don't.  

We have a spare 1TB drive.  Am I on the right track here?  What's a cost effective deal?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 12:33:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Tough room

Since I have a 3 TB NAS, the new Apple TV unit with this app from the Apple app store:

Video Explorer, the ultimate light player for Apple TV, which has just been approved for the App Store, and will be ready since day 1.

It’s simple, but very useful: it will automatically detect any media server on your LAN (Including PLEX servers, NAS, and Shared files from your computer) and will let you play any kind of video file you have inside them: AVI, MP4, MOV, MPG, MKV… Almost every video format.

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:35:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know a ton on the subject but I've been using a Western Digital Live Hub for years. I think the idea of on board storage died as UPNP came around.

Now, I just download content to my desktop, run a media server and it all appears on my smart TV's media center. Hard to beat.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 10:20:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Your TiVo Romeo supports Plex. This means that you can put all of your movies onto a spare PC or even your regular PC or a dedicated server and install the free Plex server client and you will be able to play and stream all of those movies on your TiVo. The only downside is that Plex only supports 720 P on the TiVo Romeo. I have a TiVo Romeo and I use Plex myself.

Go to the plex website and learn about it
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Your TiVo Romeo supports Plex. This means that you can put all of your movies onto a spare PC or even your regular PC or a dedicated server and install the free Plex server client and you will be able to play and stream all of those movies on your TiVo. The only downside is that Plex only supports 720 P on the TiVo Romeo. I have a TiVo Romeo and I use Plex myself.

View Quote
Thanks,  you the man
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks,  you the man
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,  you the man

I've used plex for awhile with my roku/ps4/xbone.  It's done everything i've wanted it to.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 7:36:39 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on PLEX!

It's come in super handy for sharing all my media throughout my house and to my friends as well!

If you're signed up PM me your account name and I'll friend you and share! (you should also share yours too... it's cool that way!)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top