Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2015 2:35:47 PM EDT
I'm looking around at 5.1 receivers. All of them I've seen have both video and audio inputs/outputs. Why does video go through the receiver? I had one years ago that just took audio. Video RCA went straight to the TV. I had a friend that also had a receiver with a video input/output that he used and the picture would flicker whenever there was a loud sound in the movie.

This makes no sense to me unless you are running a cheapo video source and the receiver has some kind of upconvert functionality. Otherwise it seems pointless.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#1]
So when you change sources the video switches with the sound. This is how I have mine setup. Picture is clean no flicker. It's nice to have Pandora up on the screen so you can see artist info etc, chromcast, directv, and verizon fios.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#2]
There's a bunch of reasons, the primary one is that you can't do 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed through optical or coaxial so it has to be done over HDMI.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'm looking around at 5.1 receivers. All of them I've seen have both video and audio inputs/outputs. Why does video go through the receiver? I had one years ago that just took audio. Video RCA went straight to the TV. I had a friend that also had a receiver with a video input/output that he used and the picture would flicker whenever there was a loud sound in the movie.

This makes no sense to me unless you are running a cheapo video source and the receiver has some kind of upconvert functionality. Otherwise it seems pointless.
View Quote
To be able to use one remote and control everything.   How you gonna run DVD/BluRay and Cable, and computer, and video game console video feeds separately, as well as audio feeds separately and then teach an 11 year old, an 8 year old, and the wife how to use it all?

Your buddy got a shitty receiver if it flickers during loud noices.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#4]
That makes sense. I rarely had more than two sources (only have 2 video, 1 audio now) so it wasn't a big deal, but that would definitely be troublesome with several sources.

I think my friend's unit was a pioneer. It was an old one though and didn't have HDMI ins/outs. Only RCA/component.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#5]
switching and running sound thru hdmi cable
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top