Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2015 3:43:06 PM EDT
looking for a small footprint stereo amplifier for use in my loft/home office

-single input (RCA jacks)
-50w/ch out (~) via
-binding post speaker connections

I pretty much only listen to music via my Raspberry Pi. My entire music collection has been digitized and I don't need
the use of assorted media players (my home theater setup has all that covered).  I'm currently using one of my  'old'
home theater receivers.  I could free up quite a bit of space by going smaller and taking out the media devices I really
don't use anymore.

I don't know what the going 'name' is for these things, but I'm sure a few of you have one you wouldn't mind recommending
or pointing me away from something obviously not worth trying.

I obviously like my music, but I'm no audiosnob.  I'd like a tube type for the novelty, but any reasonably clean ss device
would work as well.

cheers
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:17:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to Amazon.com.  Search for "amplifier" and browse for a while.  They have many different unoits at various price points that meet your description.

Your requirements are so odd and fit these units so precisely combined with the units being so easy to find in a web search, I'd suspect you of being a shill.

http://www.amazon.com/GemTune-Class--Tube-Amplifier-EL34-B/dp/B00DRUY6EG/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1441422788&sr=8-18-spons&keywords=amplifier

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 1:28:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I assure you that I'm no shill, and I don't see how you could call me one for my asking what others are using, like I would know?
I didn't ask for someone to do a search for me. ARFCOM is very diverse, someone somewhere has or had <insert anything here>.

most of the units I've seen on-line were "Headphone Amplifiers" or Preamps.

there are a lot of 12vdc units out there from china.. reviewing them, found mixed reviews with a lot of them leaving me with the impression
that they were a waste of time/money.  search LP7498EA, LP2020A, FX1002A, SA90E, etc..

A friend of mine, who I've heard back from since the start of this thread, told me the unit he had was a Red Wine amp, which
met the requirements I listed above, but having just found that out, they're no longer in production. Red Wine was replaced by Vinnie Rossi, and
boy do those look nice, but WAY out of my price range.

I also knew about DAC's, but my music system is how I like it, just need a single channel (stereo) audio amp.

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you looking for a stereo amp, or an intigraded amp / pre amp.  Stereo amps do not have no controls other than a gain knob. They just boost the signal recieved from the preamp. You dont hook your audio source up directly to the amp. It has to go to a pre amp wich has the volume contols. Intigraded amp / pre amps are the two pieces of equipment in one. They are more commonly refered to as recievers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 3:04:22 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120-class-t-mini-amplifier-60-wpc--300-3800
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you looking for a stereo amp, or an intigraded amp / pre amp.  Stereo amps do not have no controls other than a gain knob. They just boost the signal recieved from the preamp. You dont hook your audio source up directly to the amp. It has to go to a pre amp wich has the volume contols. Intigraded amp / pre amps are the two pieces of equipment in one. They are more commonly refered to as recievers.
View Quote

I want to hook up my Raspberry Pi (RPi), with an IQaudIO DAC daughterboard, that outputs line level audio, directly to the amp,   The line level out
is adjustable via its web based GUI.

I want to take the audio from my RPi and listen to it on a pair of speakers, which are 8 ohm.

A volume knob and on/off switch, similar to what I and chilort have already listed, is about all I really need.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#6]
What about something like a Parasound Z amp. Its pretty small at 9.5 wide x 2 tall x 10 deep. It is also 60 watts both channels driven at 8 ohms.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAZAMPV3

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 11:57:29 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks for the info jbooker82

Dayton, Parasound and Audiosector all seem to be better than the stuff I was looking at.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Not a problem. I would love to have one of their Halo series amps in my home theater.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Bought a Parasound Zamp v.3

will see how it does. arrives next week.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bought a Parasound Zamp v.3

will see how it does. arrives next week.
View Quote

Let us know what you think of it. I have been looking at using one for a 3rd zone off my onkyo
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:07:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I found lots of good feedback on the Zamp, and the Parasound sales team was helpful in my deciding to buy one.
Unit is supposed to arrive on tues.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Unit showed up Friday, got home yesterday and just now got it installed and giving it a good shakedown... so far so good.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Been listening on/off all day long.  sounds good.

works great with my Raspberry Pi / Logitech Squeezebox server (uses a variable line level out for volume control)

I've got it set for auto on/off.. that seems to be working fairly well.  I don't have to touch it, no need for a remote!
(Everything is controllable via any computer/smart device on my LAN.)

no complaints.  I'm happy so far.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 1:00:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Been listening on/off all day long.  sounds good.

works great with my Raspberry Pi / Logitech Squeezebox server (uses a variable line level out for volume control)

I've got it set for auto on/off.. that seems to be working fairly well.  I don't have to touch it, no need for a remote!
(Everything is controllable via any computer/smart device on my LAN.)

no complaints.  I'm happy so far.
View Quote

Glad you got it going. Parasound makes great amplifiers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top