Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2015 6:29:29 PM EDT
I think I'm in need of a replacement set of front channel speakers..

My Polks seem to have started to become distorted at lower frequencies.
My previous units, Bostons, had the foam fail (adhesive fail, they were a bit 'old')
I took a look at the Polk ones, and they look intact.  They sound great except when there
is a low frequency component. These are quite a few years old as well.

They serve as my LF and RF channels in a  6.1 system.  These were rated well past the
maximum output of the receiver and I don't ever get close to that.

any recommendations for replacements units? or maybe just replace the speakers (?)
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:04:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Amplifier clipping is what kills speakers.  It's like applying DC current to the coil while clipping.  This leads to excessive internal.  

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Have you double-checked your connections and settings?  You wouldn't expect they'd distort with lower frequencies if they were set to "Small" and those were being sent to your sub.

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Have you double-checked your connections and settings?  You wouldn't expect they'd distort with lower frequencies if they were set to "Small" and those were being sent to your sub.
View Quote

I guess I could check that out.. I haven't changed anything. everything was set up with the Spears and Munsil benchmark dvd and until recently, had not had any problems.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I think I'm in need of a replacement set of front channel speakers..

My Polks seem to have started to become distorted at lower frequencies.

View Quote

OK, based on that...

What's their model number?  eta: I assumed you were referring to front effects speakers.  Is this correct, or are we talking about your main L/R speakers?

It's a process of
elimination.  I would confirm that they were in fact damaged before
replacing them.  You could hook them up as the mains, or to another
receiver, and play stereo music through them as a quick test.

Once
you confirm they're toast, then the question becomes "are they worth
fixing?'.  Woofer foam-surround replacement isn't a big deal but you
said that looked OK.  

What are your current main and surround speakers?
You should sonically match those as closely as possible, if you determine replacement is necessary.

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Other than the foam which can be replaced, speakers don't wear out. Maybe the capacitors in the crossover start leaking but that is more rare than the foam issue.  My in-laws have some Altec Lansing speakers from the 70's that rock.  I refoamed the woofers about 20 years ago and they are still going strong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top