Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2015 8:23:54 PM EDT
So, are all antennas created equal? One as good as the next?

I'd like one that will get good signal and last a reasonable amount of time. I figure antennas don't really take a lot of abuse so unless the electronics just crap out on me, that's probably not a great concern.

I would like to have the option to mount it to the wall to give me flexibility if I get better signal that way.

I'm not concerned about price. Quality is the most important thing to me.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 9:17:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used several types of standard non-amplified antennas to pull in HD channels.  The best indoor wall antenna I've used was the flat Mohu Leaf type.  The best outdoor antennas has been a standard directional.  You don't need to spend big money on an antenna.  As a matter of fact, they are fairly easy to make.  Directional antenna must be pointed toward the source broadcast for best results and have longer range.  Multi-directional antennas pick from all directions but have shorter range.  More relevant than the antenna design is your proximity to the source broadcasts and the location of your antenna.  I'm pulling in about 15 channels with mine and I paid about $40 for it on sale.

My Antenna

http://antennaweb.org/Address.aspx
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 10:07:17 PM EDT
[#2]
There is no such thing as a "digital antenna".

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 10:15:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an attic antenna from the 1950s, it works great!
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'd like one that will get good signal and last a reasonable amount of time. I figure antennas don't really take a lot of abuse so unless the electronics just crap out on me, that's probably not a great concern.

I would like to have the option to mount it to the wall to give me flexibility if I get better signal that way.

View Quote

Mohu Leaf 50.

http://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Indoor-Antenna-formerly-Ultimate/dp/B00HSMK59E
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 3:54:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mohu Leaf 50.

http://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Indoor-Antenna-formerly-Ultimate/dp/B00HSMK59E

Save yourself some cash and get this one.  Works just as well; I get around 40 channels with mine.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#6]
antennaweb link above will get you started but the Local HDTV section at AVS http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/ can get you information  down to what you need on your city block.  Just look up your DMA (demographic market area) and search for your city/part of town.

For example, for the Memphis DMA some people didn't need an antenna at all.  They were so close to the antenna farm that any antenna would overpower their tuner.  People down in Clarksdale, MS need a big antenna on a tower to get all of the channels reliably.

Basically, you can't ask what someone else is using unless they are your neighbor.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
antennaweb link above will get you started but the Local HDTV section at AVS http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/ can get you information  down to what you need on your city block.  Just look up your DMA (demographic market area) and search for your city/part of town.

For example, for the Memphis DMA some people didn't need an antenna at all.  They were so close to the antenna farm that any antenna would overpower their tuner.  People down in Clarksdale, MS need a big antenna on a tower to get all of the channels reliably.

Basically, you can't ask what someone else is using unless they are your neighbor.
View Quote

I'm guessing Ponzer, NC isn't listed......
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What city do your channels come from?  That's the DMA you are in.  In rare cases you may be in 2 or more DMAs.  I grew up in southeast AR in a county that was part of the Little Rock DMA, the Greenville, MS DMA and the Monroe, LA DMA.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:06:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL!   Well, it's an antenna for UHF TV signals which happen to be in digital format.  Hence, the marketing department calls them "digital antennas".

I get a real crack out of the guy on TV who says you can get digital HD TV broadcast over the air,... that the FCC now requires they broadcast this digital signal,... as if this were something new.  It amazes me that some people have been raised on cable TV their entire lives and were not aware of this.

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:52:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

LOL!   Well, it's an antenna for UHF TV signals which happen to be in digital format.  Hence, the marketing department calls them "digital antennas".

I get a real crack out of the guy on TV who says you can get digital HD TV broadcast over the air,... that the FCC now requires they broadcast this digital signal,... as if this were something new.  It amazes me that some people have been raised on cable TV their entire lives and were not aware of this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about the VHF TV signals which happen to be in digital format?  And since the marketing department added "digital" they doubled or tripled the price.  My first HDTV signal was picked up using a double bow tie UHF antenna from Radio Shack that I got for $12.  One year later it was rebranded as a digital antenna and sold for $50.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 9:27:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Without a tower, the PBS station is 25 miles away.  With a tower higher than 30 fee you can get a CBS station 51 miles away.

There are some guys at AVS who take it as a challenge to pick up the signal farthest from there.  There were guys with 200ft towers getting a decent signal 250 miles away.  Besides the tower you need a large antenna and a number of boosters.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:40:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Ended up grabbing the Mohu Leaf with the 30 mile range. I did a search for my zip code and found a webpage indicating the broadcast locations for most of those basic channels. It looks like it will be sufficient.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Without a tower, the PBS station is 25 miles away.  With a tower higher than 30 fee you can get a CBS station 51 miles away.

There are some guys at AVS who take it as a challenge to pick up the signal farthest from there.  There were guys with 200ft towers getting a decent signal 250 miles away.  Besides the tower you need a large antenna and a number of boosters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, I can pick up the CBS station, and NBC from Greenville.

I'm in my camper at the river, with a boosted Winegard antenna.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top