Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2015 3:12:15 PM EDT
I need some suggestions as I am not finding what I need. I am looking for something of decent quality but affordable for my office to play tunes on. It doesn't need to be loud but decent sound would be nice. I don't need a dock as I don't own apple products nor a smart phone. I just want something I can plug a USB drive into that's loaded with MP3's and have it play some tunes. A Radio would be nice but not necessarily a must. Company policy does not allow using the computer for this purpose, so that's out.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 5:03:54 PM EDT
[#1]
You're not going to like to hearing this, but a smartphone would be the best choice, aside from the USB issue but you could get around that by using Dropbox to link to the computer where the mp3 files you want to be able to access them at work.  Actually, I think smart phone  chargers double as a USB input, I haven't tried using them that way.  I just use Dropbox.

iheartradio.com has an app that links to online streams of am talk and FM music stations, so you don't actually need a radio.  Most radio stations not on iheart (aka Clear Channel) have their own streaming link on their websites.

I use my smartphone mostly for these sorts of applications and it works great.

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You're not going to like to hearing this, but a smartphone would be the best choice, aside from the USB issue but you could get around that by using Dropbox to link to the computer where the mp3 files you want to be able to access them at work.  Actually, I think smart phone  chargers double as a USB input, I haven't tried using them that way.  I just use Dropbox.

iheartradio.com has an app that links to online streams of am talk and FM music stations, so you don't actually need a radio.  Most radio stations not on iheart (aka Clear Channel) have their own streaming link on their websites.
I use my smartphone mostly for these sorts of applications and it works great.

View Quote
Personally I am all for the streaming, but our policy at work is no use of PC's for personal entertainment....... and since I am the IT geek I am trying to lead by example. Policy applies to the use of their network as well, cant use their network to stream music over my own device. Smart phones are too expensive, or I am too cheap, either way I am not paying for a smartphone plan just for some tunes. ;-)

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Hm, ok.  I use the company's wireless network for streaming.  They haven't told me to stop.  For a while radio streaming was blocked and I used cellular service for streaming radio.  It came under my quotas.  My cellphone bill went from $5/month when I had a prepaid flip phone to $86/month when I got a smart phone.

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 12:14:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Hm, ok.  I use the company's wireless network for streaming.  They haven't told me to stop.  For a while radio streaming was blocked and I used cellular service for streaming radio.  It came under my quotas.  My cellphone bill went from $5/month when I had a prepaid flip phone to $86/month when I got a smart phone.  
View Quote
Yup, my phone costs me 10 per month, I am happy with that ;-)

There has got to be a solution though. Basically in my truck I just plug a USB drive full of MP3's and play my tunes. There has got to be some sort of shelf stereo type system out there that has that ability as well. I figure if I find something of decent price, I can recommend it to co-workers as a solution as well. I was just hoping someone had experience with this kind of system. I will repost this in GD, might get a larger audience that way.

Thanks for the replies ;-)

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 1:46:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, and Sony offer mini-systems.  Would none of these work for you?

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 2:16:18 AM EDT
[#6]
just play them on your computer and plug in a set of headphones
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 2:25:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

just play them on your computer and plug in a set of headphones
View Quote
Cant, verboten to use computers for entertainment.

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 2:45:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Smartphone plan? They don't have to be activated to work. A Droid A855 is $15 shipped on eBay. Load it up with MP3s and you've got an excellent media source. Grab some BT speakers (or a BT rx + speakers), and you're good to go. At least, I was.

I took an old surround system and linked it to an A855 with BT. Built reflectors into the corners of my office between the bench and cabinets for L/R channels, and put the bass through a reflex cabinet near the back center. Feels like the music seeps out of the walls in my office, while you can't really hear it next door. And the phone can be in my pocket for control of the music as I walk around. Interface is robust for playlist generation, and customizable for what the external buttons do (e.g. long press Vol Up skips to skip forward, long down skip back, etc).
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 11:41:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Smartphone plan? They don't have to be activated to work. A Droid A855 is $15 shipped on eBay. Load it up with MP3s and you've got an excellent media source. Grab some BT speakers (or a BT rx + speakers), and you're good to go. At least, I was.

I took an old surround system and linked it to an A855 with BT. Built reflectors into the corners of my office between the bench and cabinets for L/R channels, and put the bass through a reflex cabinet near the back center. Feels like the music seeps out of the walls in my office, while you can't really hear it next door. And the phone can be in my pocket for control of the music as I walk around. Interface is robust for playlist generation, and customizable for what the external buttons do (e.g. long press Vol Up skips to skip forward, long down skip back, etc).
View Quote
That's actually a damn good idea, Ebay is loaded with cheap phones with bad ESN's. Thanks

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I stream podcasts off of my iPhone to a bose soundlink mini.  I think it has input plugs too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top