Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2015 11:39:37 PM EDT
Story about a NYC small businessman in the early 80's who goes out on a ledge to make a deal that will ensure his fortune, only to see everything turn to shit as his tanker trucks get hijacked by competitors and the DA starts investigating his heating oil delivery industry for ripping off consumers and tax avoision.

Kind of slow-paced, but interesting if you find business interesting.  

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:28:49 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Story about a NYC small businessman in the early 80's who goes out on a ledge to make a deal that will ensure his fortune, only to see everything turn to shit as his tanker trucks get hijacked by competitors and the DA starts investigating his heating oil delivery industry for ripping off consumers and tax avoision.

Kind of slow-paced, but interesting if you find business interesting.  

View Quote

I agree that it was rather slow paced but I still enjoyed it.  The acting was superb and they nailed the time period in NYC.  I'm a fan of Jessica Chastain so I that helps too.  

Quality film but not for everyone.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I was pretty excited about it from the trailer, but rented it from Redbox and had to turn it off 1/2 way through out of boredom
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Wife & I watched it last night. It wasn't a high paced movie, but the acting was very good, & the story was original, unlike all the crap coming out of hollywood nowadays. We liked it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#4]
where was the "most violent" part? i am disappoint.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:12:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

where was the "most violent" part? i am disappoint.
View Quote

That was in reference to the year the film is set in, which is 1981.

NYC had 2166 homicides that year (prior year had more) and over 120,000 reported robberies.  Other crimes were off the charts as well.  Organized crime, drugs, corruption...

For comparison, there were 328 homicides in NYC last year and 456 in Chicago.  The early 90's were pretty crazy too for crime, some of those statistics are absurd.

I kind of like how the film focused more on the characters and didn't
just throw in a ton of over the top violence just for shock factor.  You
were made aware that the mob had influence and there were bad folks
around but the the two main characters were trying to stay outside of that, for the most part.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top