Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2015 8:22:20 PM EDT
Got an epson 8350 for my garage.   Have it mounted at about 13 feet from the wall on a ceiling mount.  It is projecting to a finished wall(exterior is fully sheer walled and adjoining studs are tied together with drywall taped and filled) painted egg shell white and it is blowing me away.

Did some racing with Forza 5 last night, vertical is right at 5feet high with a 9ft horizontal.    From 12 feet away I almost feel like I am in the damn car.

My main tv is a 5 year old sony 40 inch LCD.

Finally I can see the difference between Forza 4 on the xbox 360 and forza 5 on the xbone.   I am blown away.

Tomorrow I will be pulling my 95 cobra up to the wall and will do a few races in my in game 95 cobra while in my 95 cobra in my garage.   I designed the garage from the get go to be able to have room to back my truck up so to be able to use the bed for an air mattress and watch movies drive in style.

Havent got the sound stage perfectly tweaked yet.   I am running 7.2 surround with Polk 6 inch in wall speakers for front/side/rear and two polk 12s.     Lots of audio settings to play with to get it to my liking.

Watched my first movie the other night after install and it was pretty impressive.

I can tell I am gonna be in the garage more than my house while the weather is nice.

Anyone playing first person shooters on their projectors?   Is there a noticeable delay in first person shooters for multiplayer?

From what I have read the 8350 has a pretty fast response time but it is nothing to a 2ms gaming monitor or fast television.

Sorry forgot about this thread.

http://i.imgur.com/en3OSD2h.jpg

http://imgur.com/snqIE0e

http://imgur.com/bMX8ONN

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:11:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Not one picture?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not one picture?
View Quote
such fail OP.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Got an epson 8350 for my garage.   Have it mounted at about 13 feet from the wall on a ceiling mount.  It is projecting to a finished wall(exterior is fully sheer walled and adjoining studs are tied together with drywall taped and filled) painted egg shell white and it is blowing me away.

Did some racing with Forza 5 last night, vertical is right at 5feet high with a 9ft horizontal.    From 12 feet away I almost feel like I am in the damn car.

My main tv is a 5 year old sony 40 inch LCD.

Finally I can see the difference between Forza 4 on the xbox 360 and forza 5 on the xbone.   I am blown away.

Tomorrow I will be pulling my 95 cobra up to the wall and will do a few races in my in game 95 cobra while in my 95 cobra in my garage.   I designed the garage from the get go to be able to have room to back my truck up so to be able to use the bed for an air mattress and watch movies drive in style.

Havent got the sound stage perfectly tweaked yet.   I am running 7.2 surround with Polk 6 inch in wall speakers for front/side/rear and two polk 12s.     Lots of audio settings to play with to get it to my liking.

Watched my first movie the other night after install and it was pretty impressive.

I can tell I am gonna be in the garage more than my house while the weather is nice.

Anyone playing first person shooters on their projectors?   Is there a noticeable delay in first person shooters for multiplayer?

From what I have read the 8350 has a pretty fast response time but it is nothing to a 2ms gaming monitor or fast television.
View Quote
Since you are projecting on a painted wall, take a look at AVS for some of their "special" paint formulas.  These guys go crazy with the detail.  Also a border will really enhance the picture.

Most garages are pretty large and a pair of 12's would not meet my minimum requirements for a sub.

Does your receiver have any auto calibration settings?  Running the MCACC on my Pioneer made a huge difference.

When I built my room about 10 years ago I planned to watching a few movies and sports.  I've already worn my first projector out and just replaced it with an Epson 2345.  I can't remember the year when the TV in the living room was last on.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I will try to get pictures but dont have an image host worth a damn.

As for the bass.  Actually 2 12s is enough for me.   It isnt over powering and it does the job.   I could add 2 more in the future if I split the signal.

I ran the auto calibration and it set all my speakers to large which turned off the signal to the subs.    I used the distances for a baseline on surround settings and then tweaked from there.   I am trying to turn the sides and rear surround up slightly.

I am on vacation the next 2 weeks and I bought Shadows of Mordor for the Xbox 1.   In 2 days I have already played about 12 hours total.   Really good game plus looks amazing on a big screen.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I will try to get pictures but dont have an image host worth a damn.

As for the bass.  Actually 2 12s is enough for me.   It isnt over powering and it does the job.   I could add 2 more in the future if I split the signal.

I ran the auto calibration and it set all my speakers to large which turned off the signal to the subs.    I used the distances for a baseline on surround settings and then tweaked from there.   I am trying to turn the sides and rear surround up slightly.

I am on vacation the next 2 weeks and I bought Shadows of Mordor for the Xbox 1.   In 2 days I have already played about 12 hours total.   Really good game plus looks amazing on a big screen.
View Quote
With proper calibration even a dozen 18" subs would not be overpowering.  It's all about how loud you listen to the system as a whole and how low you want it to play.  Retail subs will satisfy about 80% of the population because they haven't heard anything better.  For the next 10% there are internet direct companies like Power Sound Audio, SVS and Hsu Research.  For the rest of us there is DIY.  I've tried dual 12's from SVS with a 400w each.  I'm currently using dual 15's with 800w each.  My next upgrade will be to quad 18's with about 1,500w each  Why?  Because I want to feel the T-Rex when I watch Jurassic Park.  

When you set your mains to large then they get a full-range signal.  Only the LFE (.1 channel) goes to your sub.  If you manually set them to small then it will feed the 80hz and below signal to your subs as well as the LFE information.  This is preferred because it lessens the strain on your receiver's amp section.  Bass is more difficult to produce.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Robert_J is correct. 80 is the right answer (because you can't set it at 87 ).  In most cases, tell the AV receiver that you have small front speakers and set the receiver's crossover at 80 Hz.  Even when I had my speakers which were efficient and had a pretty flat response down to 30 or 35 Hz (can't remember), I still set the crossover at 80 Hz (60 would have been fine for them, too).  When you tell most receivers that the fronts are large, not much material makes it to the sub.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 2:49:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I didnt set the speaker size to large.

The auto calibration actually did that despite it doing a sub test during auto cal.  You would think it would see the subs having a signal/sound signature and have the logic circuit to set the other 7 correctly.

Only after the auto cal with the subs turning off did we discover the speaker size issue and turn them back to small.

I run a Tacoma with 2 12s at 500-600w rms and an 80hz cross over frequency.   I find my happy spot is between 80 and 120hz.

Starting to get the seating position and side/rear fill dialed in.  Playing Shadows of Mordor last night had the sound properly enveloping me.

Gonna be screwed for awhile now.  05 Mustang went up on jack stands for the next 2-3 weeks while clutch and tranny are replaced.   Then thrashing on my 95 today it broke down, may have fried the ECU so now I have two cars in the damn garage on jack stands.

I left just enough space between the two for a pair of seats or patio chase lounge.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

No problems at all playing BF3 on the PS3 with a projector.  For about a year and a half I used my projector for movies, TV, gaming and Internet.
My suggestion is to get a UPS/ surge protector combo, I had a power brownout which killed the bulb.

I especially liked the idea of sitting in the Cobra while gaming,  my plan was to build a gaming couch using a couple seats and a dedicated steering wheel with pedals.  Haven't got around to it yet.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Just get a photo bucket and call it a day. We don't need HD pictures.

Thread is useless without pics
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#10]
came for the pics, left because no pics
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:58:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 11:32:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Worth repeating.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 11:35:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Worth repeating.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Worth repeating.

Scrolling, scrolling.... .gone!

Link Posted: 6/15/2015 2:31:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Okay original post edited so people do not have to scroll.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top