Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2015 1:38:41 PM EDT
Does anyone know what rifle the Al Qaeda sniper was using in American Sniper?
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't remember what they used in the movie, but the Tabuk was what "they" actually used in Iraq.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Can't remember what they used in the movie, but the Tabuk was what "they" actually used in Iraq.
View Quote
There was a few Druganovs as well, not nearly as many as Tabuk's.  
Plus IIRC wasn't the dude supposed to be Syrian?  Wonder if it was brought from home or picked up in country?

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 2:15:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Plus IIRC wasn't the dude supposed to be Syrian?  Wonder if it was brought from home or picked up in country?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True that; the only Dragunov I saw had already been captured (wall ornament).
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We trashed both whenever found them.  Didn't want that shit coming back to haunt us.

Link Posted: 2/15/2015 6:46:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We trashed both whenever found them.  Didn't want that shit coming back to haunt us.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seeing as how things turned out...
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 10:32:03 PM EDT
[#6]
First, the movie sub gets bounced to the bottom.  Then, we get tech questions?

Goat, please move this back up!

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 7:24:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting though. I was thinking that, at such high skill levels as these two snipers, the equipment then becomes an increasingly more important factor. (Unlike myself who hasn't come close to reaching the capability of my weapons).

Were their sniper rifles and equipment inferior, similar, or better than our own and why? We're the two rifles mentioned about highly accurate? How far out? I am sure the answer is more complicated than my questions but looking for your overall thoughts from those who would know.

Also, I read that it was highly unlikely that there was an actual Syrian Olympic sniper in Iraq. Syrians rarely competed in the sport in the Olympics. Again just what I read in an article about facts vs. fiction on the movie. I am certainly no expert on this subject matter nor did I serve.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 9:44:23 PM EDT
[#8]
"They have sniping in the Olympics?"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top