Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2015 10:44:46 PM EDT
....problem developed within the past 2 weeks.

Haven't changed anything.  Only has happened with blu-rays, testing it while watching TV now.

It shut off 6 times during The Equalizer, and I damn near ripped it out of the entertainment center.

Well ventilated, not used daily, usually only for movies, but it is an Onkyo 606 that is probably 6-8 years old now.  Made sure all the connections checked out.

The receiver literally turns off into standby mode.  I can hit the power button and it fires right back up.

Instead of messing with it, Im ready to replace it, because I don't even know what it could be.  

I run blu-rays on an old PS3 that can't bitstream the HD audio, so I am planning on upgrading to a PS4, and this may be the excuse to do it.....and get a receiver all at the same time.  What good receivers are you guys recommending, and where should I be looking?  I bought my Onkyo online and got a better deal, so I am hoping for some good recommendations as well as locations to purchase.

I'd like one that is easy to setup for PCM should I decide to keep the PS3 and let it do the decoding.

Any ideas?

ETA:  doesn't seem to be shutting off while watching TV and using the receiver/speakers.  For whatever reason, only seems to be doing it with the PS3.

My PS3 is connected to the receiver VIA HDMI.  Receiver connected to TV VIA HDMI.

Cable box is connected via HDMI to TV.  Audio out from cable box to receiver via Digital coax or whatever that orange audio cable is that supports non-HD surround sound.

I guess Im trying to determine if its the PS3 causing it?  The PS3 operation doesn't change though, movies keeps playing as if nothing happened, but since the audio and video get routed through the receiver to the TV, the audio obviously shuts off with the receiver, and the TV gives a "no signal" warning.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 10:26:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you have a short.  Check you speaker wires and make sure there aren't wires causing a short.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:03:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Onkyo had issues with their HDMI boards a few years ago. they're doing free repairs including shipping both ways if yours is affected. Check your serial number here.

https://repair.onkyousa.com/na/003_2012.php?country=USA

i sent mine in and got it repaired a few weeks ago. works like a champ.

worth a shot.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 4:26:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Onkyo had issues with their HDMI boards a few years ago. they're doing free repairs including shipping both ways if yours is affected. Check your serial number here.

https://repair.onkyousa.com/na/003_2012.php?country=USA

i sent mine in and got it repaired a few weeks ago. works like a champ.

worth a shot.
View Quote

Yup, had mine finally take a dump last year.  I really liked the brand 5 years ago but I wouldn't touch anything they made since.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you all for the information.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good receiver under 500 in case I have to replace it?

I may replace it anyways, and move the Onkyo to another room (if it can be repaired) so I am still looking for newer options.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:18:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I got a denon for about 550, i cant remember the model number cuz im at work but it worked with my ps3 just fine and im running my ps4 thru it now, I run my uverse, ps4 ipod thru it. Has been non stop for 5 years and it is used every single day, either music or tv. Ill get another denon unit when this one goes.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:05:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I had/have an old (approx 22 years) Yamaha.  Still runs like a champ, but I needed more power.  Ended up buying aDenon X-4000 for 600.  Previous owner had it for 8 months, so I still have 2 years of warranty.  Same model is for sale at best buy for 1300.   The Audesy speaker configuration is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:18:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Good to see the Denon's are still maintaining their rep as one of the best.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:15:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Go to the Best Buys with the Magnolias inside and look out for the demo units on sale. I bought a Onkyo TX-NR807 for $300 bucks (normally more like $1100).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top