Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2015 6:41:42 PM EDT
Ok tried two sony DVD blue ray players (BDP-83100) with the same luck. I don't like Sony so maybe that is it.

We have a newer HD LED insignia 1080P 50" hooked up to a HK avr 154 reciever. We did have a DVD player before that worked great. Now we got this sony blue ray and the picture and sound is absolutely perfect but then it just cuts out  in the midle of the movie with loud static and the picture cuts too. I have to turn the volume down and nothing other than shutting off the DVD player fixes it. The screen then says "unsupported mode". It's really loud and violent sounding like someone is pulling out cables at full volume. Sucks

I can get it to work if I turn the DVD settings to 480P. Some googling shows that I"m not alone with the sony problems. I would keep it at 480p but the picture is no longer sharp and why did I get that 1080P tv/bluerays then?

The reciever is older and has HDMI 1.3a pass-through. The manual says it handles 1080P. I use hdmi for the video and then component cable for audio. On the same note my apple TV works fine in 1080P on the other HDMI inpute.

Should I just pull the plug and order another blue ray player?
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#1]
have you tried more than one movie?
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
have you tried more than one movie?
View Quote

yes, we thought we had a bunch of bad DVD's yet they play fine in the other dvd players we have and we borrowed some good bluerays from friends that crackle out on ours but not their players. It happens with every disk
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 7:19:41 PM EDT
[#3]
this is why we use a console gaming station for our bluray player to be honest.  granted if you're just watching movies it's not worth it but if you play games too it may be worth considering
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 11:19:42 PM EDT
[#4]
In that case, I'm gonna vote to return it. It's either defective or a bad design somehow.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In that case, I'm gonna vote to return it. It's either defective or a bad design somehow.
View Quote

yea just ordered a new one.

I miss simple home theater setups
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#6]
1.  Did you download and install the latest software updates for your Bluray player?

2.  Have you tried connecting your Bluray player directly to the TV's inputs, bypassing the receiver?

P.S. - They are BD (Bluray disk) not DVD (digital video disk).  DVD's are 480 format, not Bluray format.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#7]
try bypassing the receiver.

Also try new HDMI cables.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:11:48 PM EDT
[#8]
got a new blue ray player and all is good.

just a quick update
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top