Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2014 12:07:18 PM EDT

Appreciate the Advice.

It ended up being the Surge Protector, no clue what it was doing to the Computer but that was the issue.

Disconnected and inspected, and reconnected all the wires.
Switched the Sockets for the system.
Checked to see if the Surround Sound worked alright.
Worked when I Connected it to the TV.
Isolated it to the Computer and just started plugging and unplugging and made it to the Surge Protector along the way.

I just moved my computer I watch my movies on from one room to another.

No issues during set up and sound was working fine.

Then I played a You Tube video with Dolby Surround setting and it immediately went into what I believe is a Ground Loop.

Speakers buzz and the sub-woofer is really loud.  
There is now a constant buzz from the speakers and a loud thruming from the sub woofer when ever I turn on the power.

Steps that I have tried.

1 Unplugged and replugged all the wires and power cords. I have a directional coax cable from the computer to the sound controller.

2 Changed the order in which I plug in the Computer and the Sound system, to try to give the sound system the ground.

3 Plugged the Computer and Sound system into two different sockets on different circuits.

4 Deleted and re installed the driver for the sound board.

I am at wits end plugging and re-plugging trying to get this to work.

Any suggestions would be greatly received.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Check all cables for loose connectors or nicks in the insulation.  I would definitely inspect the coax cable connectors closely to see if the bond between the connector and shield came loose.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Also, try an electrical outlet on a different circuit breaker.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the only difference the room where you're viewing?  Maybe your home wiring isn't grounded properly?  I had a similar problem, but my Comcast cable was the problem for my sub. Disconnecting my system from the cable caused the hum to disappear.  I ordered a ground loop isolator, which went inline with the coaxial cable to my cable box and the problem was gone. It was around $20 on Amazon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top