Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2014 9:35:22 AM EDT
So I just installed a new A/V revceiver (Yamaha Rx-v375) and subwoofer (Polk PSW10).

Problem is the sub cuts in and out randomly. The receiver is new and sub is used but works most of the time.

When I notice the sub is not working, I can unplug the input from the sub and plug back in and it works again.

Ive also moved the wire around the back of the sub and as it moves around it cuts in and out, all while being plugged in. It seems like there is some interference from the receiver and all the speaker wires/HDMI cables.

this leads me to the wire (audio pin and y splitter) may be the cause. I got the wire with the sub so it may be a few years old. Its a standard wire from radioshack.  Would an insulated cable be worth looking at?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4B01E34403&cm_re=premium_subwoofer-_-9SIA4B01E34403-_-Product
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like either a wire is intermittently open or the RCA connections to the sub have come partially loose from the board.  Try a new Input cable to the sub.  If you can still wiggle it and get the sub to cut in and out it's the RCA on the input board of the sub. If it ends up being the RCA's you can re-solder them to fix it.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:58:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.

Ill give that a shot. I think ill get the nicer wires. Its only a $10 difference and crappy wires may shit themselves again sooner.

Hopefully I don't have to open up the back of the sub. Ill need a soldering iron then too.

Got these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DI89EZI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

not bad for $10 and prime shipping.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:37:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Your sub may have a power supply issue.  I have a Polk box.  I have used Barge rubber cement to repair the cone twice.  It works 100%, no special shielding, running off a Denon amp.

Any one single thing happens to my sub box and I will upgrade in a hot second.  It has served me for over 10 years.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I am still running my 20 year old Sony AV receiver with a 15year old refurb-ed Bose Acoustimass speaker setup.

I had a similar thing happen on my AV receiver with one channel cutting out when the bass hit.  Ended up being one of the B channel RCA's was loose on the PCB.  Re-soldered it and it's been good ever since.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:26:28 PM EDT
[#5]
It's probably that Auto ON (OFF) that's killing you, auto on/off works by sensing voltage. Often times it doesn't wake the sub when it should and conversly the sub goes to sleep at odd times.
You can probably fix it by feeding both Line inputs, add a Y-cable like this to feed the LFE/Sub output from your receiver into both L/R inputs on the sub, thereby feeding it more voltage.

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-ULTRA-Series-Y-Adapter-Inches/dp/B004EBX5GW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1418833433&sr=8-3&keywords=rca+y+connector
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's probably that Auto ON (OFF) that's killing you, auto on/off works by sensing voltage. Often times it doesn't wake the sub when it should and conversly the sub goes to sleep at odd times.
You can probably fix it by feeding both Line inputs, add a Y-cable like this to feed the LFE/Sub output from your receiver into both L/R inputs on the sub, thereby feeding it more voltage.

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-ULTRA-Series-Y-Adapter-Inches/dp/B004EBX5GW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1418833433&sr=8-3&keywords=rca+y+connector
View Quote

it is currently giving me problems using a y splitter into both inputs already.

I have new cables coming Thursday, so I should have an update by Friday.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like it was the cables. I replaced them last night and the sub has been good all day so far. Thanks guys
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top