Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2014 11:00:53 AM EDT
During the first fire fight of this movie, when they are just starting to move from their original position, Taylor Kitsch (Mike Murphy) stops and slams his rifle buttstock on the ground, then starts firing again. Anyone know why? I figured ice was clearing a malfunction but didn't know if I missed something before hand or if that's what he was actually doing?  Love this movie. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you have a timestamp when this happens?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Love this movie. Thanks.
View Quote

Read the book, it's much better than the movie.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Love this movie. Thanks.

Very much this.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Very much this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Love this movie. Thanks.

Very much this.

I'll just leave this here.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#5]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Love this movie. Thanks.

Very much this.

This. I thought the book was horrible and the movie was more about hollywood than the actual events.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
During the first fire fight of this movie, when they are just starting to move from their original position, Taylor Kitsch (Mike Murphy) stops and slams his rifle buttstock on the ground, then starts firing again. Anyone know why? I figured ice was clearing a malfunction but didn't know if I missed something before hand or if that's what he was actually doing?  Love this movie. Thanks.
View Quote

i took it that he was clearing a malfunction..
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Very much this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Love this movie. Thanks.

Very much this.

I've read it at least 5 times. But I was just asking from the movie standpoint if he was just clearing his weapon?  As in 99% of situations the book is much better than film. But I do think they do an ok job for a Hollywood movie.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I thought too. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

For the same reason Storm Trooper uniforms are white, instead of black in Star Wars.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

For the same reason Storm Trooper uniforms are white, instead of black in Star Wars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:28:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Anybody else thing the movie wasnt that bad until the firefight? It was almost like they used too much time up and ended the movie with some hollyweird ending.
I thought the book was good.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#13]
You don't have to slam the buttstock on the ground to clear that malfunction. Chalk it up to more bad info gathered by the propaganda machine that propelled that false narrative.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:36:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You don't have to slam the buttstock on the ground to clear that malfunction. Chalk it up to more bad info gathered by the propaganda machine that propelled that false narrative.
View Quote

What specific malfunction?

It is a surefire way to get a "stuck" case out.

I just saw the clip, and honestly I at first thought it was Danny that did that in either anger for getting shot in the hand, or he was smashing the radio which possibly got shot with his hand.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Muscle the bolt back until the bolt catch catches it then you just have to push the charging handle forward. No need to slam shit on the ground when a case gets stuck between the charging handle and the bolt.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Anybody else thing the movie wasnt that bad until the firefight? It was almost like they used too much time up and ended the movie with some hollyweird ending.
I thought the book was good.
View Quote

Yes. This is what I have said to everyone every time this conversation comes up. I have lent this book to several people, and my wife read it too. Everyone has said what you expressed as a hollyweird ending.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Muscle the bolt back until the bolt catch catches it then you just have to push the charging handle forward. No need to slam shit on the ground when a case gets stuck between the charging handle and the bolt.
View Quote

Mortaring is one of the only ways to remove a stuck case
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:07:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Love this movie. Thanks.

Read the AARs and debriefs from all parties involved...much better than both the movie and the book.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Read the AARs and debriefs from all parties involved...much better than both the movie and the book.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Love this movie. Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:14:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This. I thought the book was horrible and the movie was more about hollywood than the actual events.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Love this movie. Thanks.

Very much this.

I didn't feel that way at the end.

Fiction or not, those men died.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:20:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Movie was great. Book was average.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:58:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Book was great.  Movie was average.  

I got a much better sense of what happened during the firefight from the book, a very detailed sense.

The movie was typical Hollywood mania.  You could have put that firefight into any number of films and never known the difference.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:01:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I got a much better sense of what happened during the firefight from the book, a very detailed sense.

The movie was typical Hollywood mania.  You could have put that firefight into any number of films and never known the difference.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The book is just as fictional as the movie. There are a myriad of analyses that support that notion. And Hollywood had little to do with it, aside from actual film production. Which branch of the military has put out more mainstream class-specific movies in the last two and a half years? Act of Valor, Zero Dark Thirty, Captain Philips, Lone Survivor, and soon American Sniper (Chris Kyle). The Navy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:09:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The book is just as fictional as the movie.
View Quote

My point refers more to my ability to comprehend the story being portrayed, not the reality of one over the other.  In that regard, I found the book superior to the movie.  I am a bit biased, though.  I am really sick and tired of all the bang-bang shoot 'em ups from Hollywood.  My eyes glaze over and I've started to tune them out.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:43:47 AM EDT
[#25]
I agree with your last sentiments. How many films have made it clear what happens when two sides shoot at each other? For me, it was worth watching Lone Survivor just for all the parts leading up to the initial firefight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top