Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2014 10:39:12 PM EDT
I am sick to death of teenage girls and young women being portrayed as uber-strong combat heroes.  

I am sick to death of martial arts and action hero movies, when the hero is a male.

I am sick to death of the huge number of comic book action hero movies.  

I am also sick of all the crime stories that border on horror stories and slasher flicks.

I need a story with some depth, a well-developed story with real people in it doing real things.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:43:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am sick to death of teenage girls and young women being portrayed as uber-strong combat heroes.  

I am sick to death of martial arts and action hero movies, when the hero is a male.

I am sick to death of the huge number of comic book action hero movies.  

I am also sick of all the crime stories that border on horror stories and slasher flicks.

I need a story with some depth, a well-developed story with real people in it doing real things.
View Quote

Ever tried reading?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Why don't you read a real hero story by studying a great military general like Robert E. Lee, Grant, or Patton. You'll learn something valuable and also what made this country great.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:43:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ever tried reading?
View Quote

LOL!

Well, yes, I have and do.  Of course, in this forum, I am discussing motion pictures.

Regarding books and reading, I despise novels which were too obviously written to immediately become a screenplay (Michael Crighton, etc).  Sometimes, I think they wrote a screenplay, then wrote and released the novel to drum up support for the eventual movie.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

LOL!

Well, yes, I have and do.  Of course, in this forum, I am discussing motion pictures.

Regarding books and reading, I despise novels which were too obviously written to immediately become a screenplay (Michael Crighton, etc).  Sometimes, I think they wrote a screenplay, then wrote and released the novel to drum up support for the eventual movie.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ever tried reading?

LOL!

As usual, I didn't read to see which forum I was posting in.

My apologies for the snotty response.

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:40:49 PM EDT
[#5]
np, lol.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#6]
More sex. Action heroes need to bang hot chicks, too.

Stan Lee has weird ideas about human sexuality.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Not sure if this completely on topic, but I've wanted to bitch about the ending of Serenity since it came out.
Nowhere in the series was River portrayed as a super fighter. She calculated how to shoot several people once, but zero hand to hand combat. None! Why did she have to attack the Reavers with an ax when she could kill people with her brain?

Was she a Terminator all along?
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#8]
IIRC, Whedon planned to slowly reveal her abilities over time.
But he didn't get the time.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 12:57:36 AM EDT
[#9]
It wouldn't have made a good scene for non-browncoats, but imagine River staring at the door for a minute and then it slowly opens (yes, I know it was open already. I'm doing it different) slowly opens to show a room full of mutilated corpses. Through the door steps one Reaver, no one has ammo but Jayne lifts Vera anyway, the Reaver holds out the medikit for Simon. Then, once Simon has it, the Reaver turns to River with his hands held in a supplicating manner. River smiles says "I promised, I'll stop the pain" and the last Reavers head explodes.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 1:28:29 AM EDT
[#10]
SERENITY,... as in, Firefly???

That's like,... so last century!
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 1:32:33 AM EDT
[#11]
The other thing I am sick to death of is,... remakes.

I'm also sick of sequels...

and I'm getting sick of prequels.  

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
IIRC, Whedon planned to slowly reveal her abilities over time.
But he didn't get the time.
View Quote

That's how I understand it.  She was picked for the show because of her performance on another one of Joss' series.  She has a ballet / dancer/ choreographer background, which is perfect for highly choreographed fight scenes.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I know how you feel. Part of it is your old now and have matured some at least a little and can't really relate to the target market these movies are aimed at. Yes, your turning into a fudd. It's inevitable. It happens to everyone eventually. Younger people make fun of you or ignore you because the elderlies opinions don't count.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I've recently started watching TCM.. the classics of film cinema, where all the Indians are Italian or Puerto Rican, pants were worn all the way up at the arm pits and everybody and their grandma smoked and drank hard liquor with reckless conviction..
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#15]
OP is dead wrong.

I want a Hit Girl Trilogy, Salt 2&3, RE6, UW5, and any other excuse for some babe to kick ass while wearing tight clothing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Ever tried reading?
View Quote

Print is Dead-Egon
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
OP is dead wrong.

I want a Hit Girl Trilogy, Salt 2&3, RE6, UW5, and any other excuse for some babe to kick ass while wearing tight clothing.
View Quote

LOL!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP is dead wrong.

View Quote

We also need a Sucker Punch sequel
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:29:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OP is dead wrong.

View Quote

This poster needs to accept his like of female mud wrestling videos and watch them unashamedly.    

Now, can we get back to being just a bit more serious?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:47:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Back to topic:  there are movies out there that meet your requirements, however they don't get the same level of theatrical distribution as the big screen blockbusters.  Occasionally on satellite I catch a film I doubt I would've watched by it's name or description.  Foreign films are a good example.  They don't wreak of Hollywood cliches.  A good example is The Red Baron (2008).  There's a generous amount of artistic license with the story, but it's entertaining.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top