Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2014 8:14:07 AM EDT
Well I started putting together a home theater after years of resistance.  So far I have a Samsung 75") and a Pioneer 1124 receiver.  Was thinking about putting Orb speakers on it, and kind of snapped at that point.

Did a web search (jokingly) about Radio Shack speakers - which led me down the path to my own destruction.  I started to do a 5.1 build with Minimus 7 speakers instead of Orbs.    The thought is to start with 3 pair (rear, front, and center), with the center being 2 speakers (like Orb does).  If I like the sound, but want more, will double up the fronts as well.  (If I don't like the sound I am out less than 1 pair of Orbs).  But here is the question.  Any suggestions on what to do about the sub-woofer?  I have built cabinets before - should I just grab an 18" and a sub amp and run with it (how large?).  

I have a pair of 8" woofers, I could build a cabinet for them (and it would be more on price point with the Minimus 7's).  The 8" replaced stolen 12" long ago.  Half tempted to get a clearance sub amp, and run the 8's at 4ohms.

The room is large - not expecting to fill it.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#1]
When budget shopping, look at Seismic audio.  They're not the most musical subs out there, but they certainly are a great value.

Here a 12" powered sub that should work well for your room.  And it's < $225.00

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/active-12-inch-studio-subwoofer/p/Spectra-12SUB
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:47:48 AM EDT
[#2]
My BiC 12" subs rocks
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:01:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the heads up on the Bic.  PL200 inbound (fairly low price for a substantial upgrade on the amp).  That should put my speaker system in at under $500 - and the whole system not much over 4k (TV, DVD, Roku, Receiver, and speakers).

Ok, kill me on this - but I can not wait to listen to Frozen on it...

Went with the Bic because they sell through Radio Shack (and while I did not get any of this from the Shack - it is all Shack stuff).

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That should put my speaker system in at under $500 - and the whole system not much over 4k (TV, DVD, Roku, Receiver, and speakers).

View Quote

Why do people cheap out so much on speakers? They are the most important investment in a home theater. Speakers should at least be half of your budget.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 6:44:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Why do people cheap out so much on speakers? They are the most important investment in a home theater. Speakers should at least be half of your budget.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That should put my speaker system in at under $500 - and the whole system not much over 4k (TV, DVD, Roku, Receiver, and speakers).

While audio media and TV formats change every few years, good speakers will last for decades.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#6]
1/2 might be a good benchrest - but no way my wife would let me spend $3500 on speakers - or the room to put them.  I had budgeted for the Orbs, and might yet go that direction.  This is kind of a what the hell project at this point - they will be useful in other rooms if nothing else.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 2:15:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
1/2 might be a good benchrest - but no way my wife would let me spend $3500 on speakers - or the room to put them.  I had budgeted for the Orbs, and might yet go that direction.  This is kind of a what the hell project at this point - they will be useful in other rooms if nothing else.  
View Quote

I believe what they are saying is that right up front, before you buy anything, you need to allocate 1/2 the budget for speakers.  This is especially important in these days of 7.1 sound.  Eight speakers are needed, at least!  My 7.1 system has 10 Orb satellites and a subwoofer.

In your case, as in most other instances, speakers are an after-thought.  Too much money has already been spent on things that do not matter as much as the speakers matter.

If I misinterpreted the earlier posts, guys, feel free to correct me.

My advice - buy the Orbs, at least the Orbs, with a subwoofer.  Orb's subs are decent and ordering one simplifies your problem.  Do not go cheap on speakers.

P.S. - I think you meant to use 'benchmark' not 'benchrest'.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top