Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2014 3:42:55 AM EDT
We are in the process of turning our basement into a theater room. We just purchased the furniture which gets delivered in a week and now I am in the process of researching what we will be watching movies on.

The wife seems to think a 100" screen will be too big but according the the THX guidlines, we only need to be back approx 10' from the screen to properly view it without having to scan to see the whole screen. We will be back something like 13'-14', which I think is plenty.

I really want a "theater" feel to the room and I think a nice big screen would do that. Looking at tv's the upfront price is pretty high in comparison (I'm looking mostly at samsung, I love the quality of my current samsung).  A 75" samsung from sam's is running about $2500, I can get a projector and a screen for ~$1200-$1800 depending. I know in the long run the projector will cost more with the bulb replacements.

Here is the screen I am looking at
Screen

here are some projectors I am looking into
Optoma HD25e
BenQ W1080ST

The reviews are pretty good for both, maybe somone who has one or the other can comment. Or any other options for projector you guys would recommend? I would like to keep the projector price under $1000 but I am willing to spend a bit more.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:28:45 AM EDT
[#1]
If you want a theater feel get a screen
110" is the smallest I have seen my av guys use
With a budget projector , you need to have zero ambient light
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:05:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want a theater feel get a screen
110" is the smallest I have seen my av guys use
With a budget projector , you need to have zero ambient light
View Quote

I have 3 small Windows with doors to cover them, my basement is almost pitch black.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:20:37 AM EDT
[#3]
JVC D-ILA.  It's the most 'cinematic' projector out there.  It does require a dark space, which it sounds like you have.  But in a real Home Theater environment, nothing touches it for the money.  (Disclaimer - I'm in the professional video equipment sales business, so I know a bit about projectors.)
They make a line that ranges from $2K to > $10K.  This is a nice model that sorta fits your budget (It was $8,000 MSRP when it first came out...) and has the performance to wow you.  $3,000 at this vendor makes me want to buy one myself.  It looks like the seller is reviewed well.  I have no experience with them, so mea culpa on that point.
http://officewonderland.com/product/view/2394?gclid=CJL-3LeC7b8CFQwV7Aod2VIAkg
Review of this projector.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#4]
do they make projectors that have 120/240 HZ output? if not, then they are obselete. I dont like them because the bulbs are outrageously priced. they are just a pain in the ass to me,
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:Here is the screen I am looking at
Screen
View Quote
Over $400 for a screen!!!!!  I built mine in a weekend for $75.  The wood is 1x2 poplar with L and T brackets holding it together.  I used a spacer on the bottom to account for the French cleat that hold it to the wall.  That way I could slide it a few inches either way to get it centered on the wall.  The fabric is blackout cloth from Hancock Fabrics.  The frame was built with door casing and painted black.  It was tacked on to make the final screen size 103" diagonal in a 16x9 format.

My Panasonic projector is over 8000 hours and I'm on my 3rd bulb.  It won't last long and I'm also looking at the BenQ projectors.

Frame:

Ignore the dusty speaker and look at the frame made from door casing.

I was testing subs but this is a good view of the completed screen with curtains.  The curtain rod is 36" that I extended to 11 feet with electrical conduit pipe.  I use that for almost all of the curtain rods in my house.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Over $400 for a screen!!!!!  I built mine in a weekend for $75.  The wood is 1x2 poplar with L and T brackets holding it together.  I used a spacer on the bottom to account for the French cleat that hold it to the wall.  That way I could slide it a few inches either way to get it centered on the wall.  The fabric is blackout cloth from Hancock Fabrics.  The frame was built with door casing and painted black.  It was tacked on to make the final screen size 103" diagonal in a 16x9 format.

My Panasonic projector is over 8000 hours and I'm on my 3rd bulb.  It won't last long and I'm also looking at the BenQ projectors.

Frame:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y78/rlj5242/100_0658.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y78/rlj5242/100_0927.jpg

I was testing subs but this is a good view of the completed screen with curtains.  The curtain rod is 36" that I extended to 11 feet with electrical conduit pipe.  I use that for almost all of the curtain rods in my house.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y78/rlj5242/100_0932.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Here is the screen I am looking at
Screen

Frame:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y78/rlj5242/100_0658.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y78/rlj5242/100_0927.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y78/rlj5242/100_0932.jpg

That's for 125" the 100"is just under $300. While still expensive, we're not if we want a fixed screen or not. I do like your setup though.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks.

If you are wanting the full theater experience, then a projector and screen are the only way to go.  There is quite a difference going from 75" to 100+.

What about sound?  You need a sound system to keep up with a screen of that size.  And don't cheap out with a $200 home theater in a box.  That's like buying a LaRue OBR and putting a Leapers optic on it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

do they make projectors that have 120/240 HZ output? if not, then they are obselete. I dont like them because the bulbs are outrageously priced. they are just a pain in the ass to me,
View Quote

3000 hours (avg. lamp life these days) is a lot of viewing time.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll log 14 hours on a cold Saturday during football season.  Even on weekdays, the projector runs 3 hours in the mornings while my wife and I are on the treadmill and then another 3 after work.  6 x 365 = 2190 hours.

I'm on the 6th year with my Panasonic AE-900U and I'm on my 3rd bulb.  The 2nd only lasted 2000 hours because it was a cheap knock-off.  It was less than 1/4 the price of a real Panasonic also.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 4:46:44 AM EDT
[#10]
We went fairly low budget on ours, Epson 8350, Elite Screens 106"
FYI, AVSForum is the ARFCOM of home theaters, but if you have any questions, I'll answer what I can:

Zach

ETA:  Unless you are planning to mount your speakers directly behind the screen, it's not worth the price.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We went fairly low budget on ours, Epson 8350, Elite Screens 106"
FYI, AVSForum is the ARFCOM of home theaters, but if you have any questions, I'll answer what I can:
[
Zach

ETA:  Unless you are planning to mount your speakers directly behind the screen, it's not worth the price.
View Quote
I see that you don't stop by the DIY section.  The pic below isn't mine.  I just needed a good example of how crazy these guys are.  The sub looks small without anything else in the frame.  That's a 24" sub.

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#12]
avsforum.com  will have all the answers you seek.... Those bastards cost me over 50K one year. My theater was fucking EPIC though.....
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#13]
i encloded our attached garage and made it into a HT. for projection you need a completely dark room. but for the $$ projection is the way to go. Epson 8350 was $800. 110" Elite screen was $175. Polk 7.1 surround with BIC sub. very happy with it

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:43:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Anymore, if I was going to get a projector it would be a 4k and some spare bulbs. If they're not out yet, I'd honestly wait.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 6:32:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anymore, if I was going to get a projector it would be a 4k and some spare bulbs. If they're not out yet, I'd honestly wait.
View Quote

I think JVC offers the cheapest 4k projector at this time, at just over $4k, while Song has been leading the pack.  There is more to it than just the projector when talking the 4k route, and honestly, I wouldn't give 4k a second thought, and would put it out of my mind.  Not worth the extra cost and lack of media at this time in my eyes.
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/4k-video-source-faq,news-18021.html

Zach
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think JVC offers the cheapest 4k projector at this time, at just over $4k, while Song has been leading the pack.  There is more to it than just the projector when talking the 4k route, and honestly, I wouldn't give 4k a second thought, and would put it out of my mind.  Not worth the extra cost and lack of media at this time in my eyes.

Zach
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zach

Interesting link, thanks. Naturally as technology gets cheaper and more people buy in, prices come down. I'd love to see a good movie on a 100"+ screen at 4k resolution, and as mentioned, if I was going to go that route for a dedicated HT, I would hold out for a nice 4k projector and do it right. 1080p at 100"+ doesn't make a lot of sense to me with 4k right around the corner.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 1:57:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Interesting link, thanks. Naturally as technology gets cheaper and more people buy in, prices come down. I'd love to see a good movie on a 100"+ screen at 4k resolution, and as mentioned, if I was going to go that route for a dedicated HT, I would hold out for a nice 4k projector and do it right. 1080p at 100"+ doesn't make a lot of sense to me with 4k right around the corner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zach

I can easily get a good few years from a 1080p projector. Im not a visual fanatic so 4k at this point for me isn't all that appealing. Once prices drop and more content is available then yeah, I won't mind upgrading to something better.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#18]
You can spend as little as you like or as much as your heart desires.
After moving to take a better job I picked up a Viewsonic DLP projector for less than one of the big screen TVs everyone was buying at the time.
The living room in the house I was renting at the time was approximately 30' in length.  Using 1 wall as a screen and setting the projector on top of a shelf on the opposite wall worked surprisingly well.  Audio was handled through an Aiwa shelf stereo with a Sony powered subwoofer.  Inputs varied from a PC, PS3, Blu-Ray player and digital cable box.  For less than $2K it was better than going to the movies in the little town I was living in.

I could have prepped and painted the wall, but it was a rental and I wasn't planning on staying there long enough to make it worth my while.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:39:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:07:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Amazon has the Optoma HD 131Xe for $660 plus a $100 Amazon gift card right now. I bought this projector last October and couldn't be happier. It's the daily TV, movie and game projector for the kids.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
here are some projectors I am looking into
Optoma HD25e
BenQ W1080ST

The reviews are pretty good for both, maybe somone who has one or the other can comment. Or any other options for projector you guys would recommend? I would like to keep the projector price under $1000 but I am willing to spend a bit more.
View Quote

Optoma - http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD25.htm
BenQ - http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1080ST.htm

Look at the lens shift and zoom numbers.  The 1.2 zoom means that you only have a small "optimal" location from the screen size.  I'm looking at this one to replace my aging Panasonic - http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_8350.htm.  It has a much larger zoom than yours and slightly larger than my AE-900u.  Plus it also has lens shift in both directions.  That means you can mount it slightly off center and higher than the screen if needed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Look at the lens shift and zoom numbers.  The 1.2 zoom means that you only have a small "optimal" location from the screen size.  I'm looking at this one to replace my aging Panasonic - http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_8350.htm.  It has a much larger zoom than yours and slightly larger than my AE-900u.  Plus it also has lens shift in both directions.  That means you can mount it slightly off center and higher than the screen if needed.
View Quote

Robert, I have the 8350 and absolutely love it, have had it for several years now, the lens shift is quite nice.  Epson has an online calculator for seeing if the lens shift and scale: http://www.epson.com/alf_upload/landing/distance-calculator/

Zach
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:17:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Amazon has the Optoma HD 131Xe for $660 plus a $100 Amazon gift card right now. I bought this projector last October and couldn't be happier. It's the daily TV, movie and game projector for the kids.
View Quote

This is the projector I picked up. I threw up a white sheet in my family room with the shades shut and the picture was quite good.

I think it will be even better once I get my screen and everything mounted up in my basement where there is very little light.

I appreciate everyone's input, I'm sure I'll be extremely happy with this setup for sometime. Once the 4k projectors come down in price, I'll probably be ready to upgrade.

For a bit there I was thinking about one of these
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:22:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This is the projector I picked up. I threw up a white sheet in my family room with the shades shut and the picture was quite good.

I think it will be even better once I get my screen and everything mounted up in my basement where there is very little light.

I appreciate everyone's input, I'm sure I'll be extremely happy with this setup for sometime. Once the 4k projectors come down in price, I'll probably be ready to upgrade.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did the white sheet thing as well until I figured out what size screen I wanted. I went with a 110". I believe you will be happy when you get a real screen in place. I used the throw calculator on projector central to get mine dialed in.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:08:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I did the white sheet thing as well until I figured out what size screen I wanted. I went with a 110". I believe you will be happy when you get a real screen in place. I used the throw calculator on projector central to get mine dialed in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We got the screen (100") up today and it mostly dialed in. There are a few adjustments that are needed but my wife was getting a bit annoyed with my OCD with the screen so I left it for the time being. Now I just need to figure out how I want to place the surround sound, my basement isn't very large. I am thinking about making some room inside the wall behind the screen for the front speakers...... I just don't know yet.

BTW the picture is beatiful on the screen, i'm sure it's not perfect but I'm no visual expert and it makes me happy.

I am hoping my buddy who is an electrician will be coming over to help me run the wires to keep everything as clean as possible. right now I have wires all over the place just so I can have it all hooked up

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

We got the screen (100") up today and it mostly dialed in. There are a few adjustments that are needed but my wife was getting a bit annoyed with my OCD with the screen so I left it for the time being. Now I just need to figure out how I want to place the surround sound, my basement isn't very large. I am thinking about making some room inside the wall behind the screen for the front speakers...... I just don't know yet.

BTW the picture is beatiful on the screen, i'm sure it's not perfect but I'm no visual expert and it makes me happy.

I am hoping my buddy who is an electrician will be coming over to help me run the wires to keep everything as clean as possible. right now I have wires all over the place just so I can have it all hooked up

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before I had a receiver with auto calibration, I'd make my wife sit on the couch so I could measure the distance from each speaker to her head.  I spent 3 hours just dialing in the EQ for my subwoofers.  When it is all done, she will appreciate how good it looks and sounds.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Before I had a receiver with auto calibration, I'd make my wife sit on the couch so I could measure the distance from each speaker to her head.  I spent 3 hours just dialing in the EQ for my subwoofers.  When it is all done, she will appreciate how good it looks and sounds.

BTDT, back in the days of the Radio Shack sound-level meter.  

Btw, they make an app for that now, should anyone have a need for such a thing.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still use my Rat Shack analog SPL meter.  But I'm moving up as well.  Parts Express had their Dayton USB mic on sale and I picked it up so I could run Room EQ Wizard.  But I'll still need to use the meter.  This mic isn't SPL calibrated so I have to get the volume up to approximately 85db with the meter and then I can run the test tones.  I'm hoping to see how close my manual setup of the Behringer BFD was compared to what REW thinks it should be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top