Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2014 9:05:07 PM EDT
Used or new. I have a set of 5 speakers and a subwoofer.

Looking to keep it well under $200 if possible. Want to run it straight off my TV.

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Concept Development: with a modern audio-video receiver, you run the TV from the receiver, not the other way around.  The various sources (DVD, Bluray, CD player,...) connect to the receiver.  The receiver selects the source material and passes the signals to the signal to the outputs - video to the TV, audio to the speakers.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Concept Development: with a modern audio-video receiver, you run the TV from the receiver, not the other way around.  The various sources (DVD, Bluray, CD player,...) connect to the receiver.  The receiver selects the source material and passes the signals to the signal to the outputs - video to the TV, audio to the speakers.

View Quote

Hmm if it's all hooked up to the receiver then id have to use it to get all my sound? So if I wanted to watch something early in the morning id need the sound system to be on instead of using the TVs built in sound?

Sorry I'm not very sound/tech savvy.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:54:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Correct.

Usually TVs only output 2 channel PCM or DD via their digital audio out, which would cripple the surround capabilities of your speakers. It can be done, though.

Here's a receiver that might fit your needs:

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR313-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0077V8930/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406674382&sr=8-1&keywords=onkyo+313

I have no experience with that specific model but I have had several higher-range Onkyo receivers and they are pretty good at fixing issues if they come up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#4]
You can run the amp/reciever when you want or have it turned off and just use the TV speakers.

Go hit some pawn shops and get you a Sony or some such. I got a decent one with remote for my setup for like 80 bucks from the pawn shop. I just use a small set of JBL speakers for blu ray movies and listening to satellite radio and such and it works great.

Just make sure the output of the receiver matches the maximum that your speakers can handle.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hmm if it's all hooked up to the receiver then id have to use it to get all my sound? So if I wanted to watch something early in the morning id need the sound system to be on instead of using the TVs built in sound?

Sorry I'm not very sound/tech savvy.
View Quote

It depends.

For "normal" hifi operation, my TV puts out audio via an optical cable, sending digital audio to the amplifier and the video to its display. This is sometimes called "optical out" or "TOSLINK out".

The TV menu will allow you to select where the audio is sent - internal speakers or optical audio output (to the receiver).

If you are really concerned about being quiet in the early morning, get some wireless headphones (or some such).  

I used to have wireless headphones but instead of an actual headphone, I attached a small speaker to the audio output of the wireless receiver.  This gave me a small speaker I could put right in front of me, no matter where I went.  It was as quiet as possible unless you used headphones.  

I hope that makes sense to you and helps in some way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top