Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2014 9:55:59 AM EDT
I know little on the subject, but a friend gave me a Denon receiver. It only has connections for 16 ohms out. My speakers are 8 ohms. Is there a configuration where I could do this safely?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are talking about a single pair, that will be an issue.
You can run two 8 ohm speakers in series to get 16 ohms impedance, but that would only be on a single channel.
You can probably run an 8 ohm resistor in series with each speaker too.

Running a lower impedance than the amp is designed for will draw more power from the amp.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Not an audiophile but that tells me your speakers will draw more current than the amp is designed for.   If you could wire another 8 ohm speaker in series with it that would put the current in spec but also mean the speakers can't push the power they are rated for.   Best bet is to match them correctly.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you provide a model number or a picture of the back of the receiver?  Is it part of a HTiB (Home Theater in a Box)?  I have never seen a receiver that was rated for 16 ohms and that goes back to the one I had back in the 1970's.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you provide a model number or a picture of the back of the receiver?  Is it part of a HTiB (Home Theater in a Box)?  I have never seen a receiver that was rated for 16 ohms and that goes back to the one I had back in the 1970's.
View Quote

I've never heard of one, either.

What's the Denon model number?  Go download a user manual.

If you keep the power output down, you shouldn't have a problem.  Even at max output, it's could just be an output rating issue.  I suppose, long term, high dissipation could be a thermal problem, too.  Honestly, though, how often do you ask for max output, long-term?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 3:24:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help guys; the model is the AVR2307CI

Here's a screenshot from the manual

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:42:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, right there, it says speakers should be in the range of 6 to 16 ohms.  Yours are 8 ohms, so there should be no problem.

If you are running two sets of 8 ohm speakers (the A+B configuration), put them in series so they present a 16 ohm load to the receiver.  If they were in parallel, they'd be a 4 ohm load.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Somehow I missed that whole ~ both on the back of the unit and in the manual

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top