Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2014 3:45:53 AM EDT
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Wargames-Remake-Finds-Director-Actor-Shortlist-Revealed-43600.html

I for one am super excited
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 4:39:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds great. I wonder if the "Joshua" supercomputer in the remake will be an iPhone?
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 5:42:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Is there not a single original thought in Hollywood any more?  Why can't they leave shit alone?

This has fail written all over it - I read the article and didn't recognize a single name, so I'm sure they are sparing no expense on top talent.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:46:43 AM EDT
[#3]
It probably will be an ultimate fail, but I wanna see ti when it happens.... That way i can bitch about it and know what I am talking about...
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 7:04:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Why on earth would they bother remaking THAT movie?
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 6:27:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds great. I wonder if the "Joshua" supercomputer in the remake will be an iPhone?
View Quote

An IPhone with Siri.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is there not a single original thought in Hollywood any more?  Why can't they leave shit alone?

This has fail written all over it - I read the article and didn't recognize a single name, so I'm sure they are sparing no expense on top talent.
View Quote

They are destroying my favorite childhood movies! What's next, Goonies??
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 4:18:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 3:58:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they do I'll hunt you down...
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 4:06:45 AM EDT
[#9]
"I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it would help."    
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 3:15:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Wargames was one of my favorite movies as a kid. I still watch it when I happen across it on cable. But Hollywood does not have a very good track record for remakes.

I had high-hopes for The Fog and Red Dawn. Both were kind of lacking.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I feel some movies cannot be be redone properly, because of the state of the nation, or state of world events of the time versus the climate we currently live in.

A few years ago they made a sequel to Wargames, and I think they did a good job of incorporating a data collection and statistical analysis theme into the story. Instead of staging scenarios against a known enemy, the successor of WOPR collects data and looks for patterns that indicate possible terrorist activity.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:00:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Back in '82 when it came out, hacking was a big deal.  Today it's an everyday thing, and in this age of cyber security, it's going to be hard to suspend disbelief that an important government system has an overlooked backdoor.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Great movie, not so sure about a remake.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:57:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I for one am super excited
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Will the computer play Candy Crush instead of Tic-tac-toe?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Will the computer play Candy Crush instead of Tic-tac-toe?
View Quote

Boom Beach!  This could be promising or they could Eff it up like Eagle Eye.
Any chance they could get Peter Berg to do it?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Back in '82 when it came out, hacking was a big deal.  Today it's an everyday thing, and in this age of cyber security, it's going to be hard to suspend disbelief that an important government system has an overlooked backdoor.
View Quote

Maybe the computer looks him up?  Kind of like Skynet, or that computer in Eagle Eye.
The AI could be playing online war games,  I could definitely see them allowing the computer to play online against multiple real opponents to test and or teach the AI.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:14:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Maybe the computer looks him up?  Kind of like Skynet, or that computer in Eagle Eye.
The AI could be playing online war games,  I could definitely see them allowing the computer to play online against multiple real opponents to test and or teach the AI.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's close to the plot behind, "Wargames: the Dead Code."  Through a series of events, the main character gets profiled as a terrorist by Ripley, an AI that detects terrorist activity through statistical processing.  Ripley has access to CCTV, cell phone traffic, and other means of tracking and finding information on people.  When the feds discover it's a false positive, they fail to shut down Ripley, who now has access to a drone armed with a nuclear warhead.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top