Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2014 10:19:03 AM EDT
What do I do with them?  Obviously they don't have any cards, but they do still have recorded programming on them.  Can I hook them up and watch old shows and movies?  Do I sell them on Ebay?  Trash?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:24:51 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

What do I do with them?  Obviously they don't have any cards, but they do still have recorded programming on them.  Can I hook them up and watch old shows and movies?  Do I sell them on Ebay?  Trash?
View Quote
I would hang on to them, till they bill you for them. Then send them back.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Get everything in writing from them. Save it for when they send your account to a collections agency.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:28:53 AM EDT
[#3]
did you buy them in the first place? I know my parents have dish and they got the first tuner/dvr with their package and had the option to buy/rent more. my dad bought 2 more out right, It was cheaper over the long run
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:55:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Waaay back when I canceled dish, they didn't want the receiver back.  It was a bit different, they were like "Is it a DVR model?  no, we don't want it back then".  I toyed around with maybe getting some uh....experimental cards and dish parts for it, but that was looking to be more work than I wanted to commit to.  I just recently tossed the receiver in the trash a few months ago when I moved house.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Look at your bill. You've already paid for them $4.99 each month. They don't want them back because they're padi for and they don't want to pay return shipping. Just like the dishes on your house they don't want back.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Most likely they are outdated models.  I've had two forever.  One went out about a year or so ago and it had the box to send it back.  Other went out a few weeks ago and they said just keep it and the box the replacement came in had instructions stating not to return the old one.

Programming is specific and encrypted to the dvr so you can't just swap drives.  You can, however, pull the drive and have an extra external hard drive now (as long as that wasn't the dvr problem).  
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#7]
When I cancelled DISH a few years ago, they told me to keep mine.
They were outdated models, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top