Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2014 3:22:03 PM EDT
Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with this company. This is purely my opinion on a product that I think is cool that fits a certain niche that not many people know about.

I've wanted to get rid of my Sony SXRD rear projection behemoth of a TV and put a plasma on my wall in our living room. My problem is that our fireplace is quite tall and can only fit a 51" plasma and even then it’s pretty close to the ceiling. Having the TV that close to the ceiling is not great for comfort or viewing angle, so I refused to do it that way.

After a couple of years of looking for a reasonable option I came across the down and out mount from dynamic mounting. It allows you to mount a TV above your fireplace, or whatever, then grab the bottom of the tv and it swings out and drops down. It can move down pretty far and is now just above eye level. This way we can have it in the up position when we have company over, and pull it down when we are watching a movie or whatever.

The WAF (wife acceptance factor) is good, but not great. She says that the mount is "kinda ugly" when in the down position. Yea I guess it is, but when it's down pay attention to the TV...

The only downside IMO is the price. It isn't cheap but this was the only option for me. I think if you have the need its worth looking into.

http://i62.tinypic.com/6pajk1.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/idf046.jpg
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:36:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I have never seen a mount like that and I've been a member of AVS and Home Theater Forum for almost 15 years.

Every time someone posts in the newb section about mounting a TV over the fireplace, I cringe with a neck ache.  At least now there is a solution.

When I installed my 103" DIY projector screen, I measured to the 1/4" for optimal height and distance based on my eyes in my favorite seat.  My wife thought I was nuts until we watched the first movie in high def.  I get no more complaints about the home theater system.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 8:49:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have never seen a mount like that and I've been a member of AVS and Home Theater Forum for almost 15 years.

Every time someone posts in the newb section about mounting a TV over the fireplace, I cringe with a neck ache.  At least now there is a solution.

When I installed my 103" DIY projector screen, I measured to the 1/4" for optimal height and distance based on my eyes in my favorite seat.  My wife thought I was nuts until we watched the first movie in high def.  I get no more complaints about the home theater system.
View Quote

Same here. people that mount their flatscreen above the fireplace get the eye roll. when seated my eyes hit the around a 3rd of the way up on my 110" screen.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Same here. people that mount their flatscreen above the fireplace get the eye roll. when seated my eyes hit the around a 3rd of the way up on my 110" screen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the EXACT spot I was shooting for.  Seating distance was calculated with http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Wouldn't look as "bad" if it was a lighter color, wonder if it could be painted to blend in with the wall?
To me the it doesn't. Make my neck or eyes hurt factor would make it an acceptable option...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top