User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:35:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good idea, but they didn't have a working radio so you wouldn't be able to coordinate between groups.  It might have been more of a problem than a help.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know the story was to have the crew make a last stand and die Alamo style but it would have been a
better plan to take the two turret mounted MG's (Ma Deuce and the .30 cal.) and set them a couple of
hundred yards away and use them as over-watch, raking anyone who got in the tanks blind spots.
Also make the enemy think they were against a larger force.

Good idea, but they didn't have a working radio so you wouldn't be able to coordinate between groups.  It might have been more of a problem than a help.

No need for radios.
"Shoot anyone outside of the tank."
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:29:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Good movie but very depressing.  One question I had, was the M4 really that roomy in the interior?  The one I saw seemed smaller but it was many years ago and I never got to see the inside.  
View Quote

Not at all, it's pretty tight in an M4. For the movie, for cinematic purposes they built replica interiors that were like 30% larger I seem to recall reading. If they did it as small as it is in the real tanks, you'd never be able to get a decent shot for a movie.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Saw the movie. Liked it but the scene in the German ladies' appartment pissed me off.

The way they openly disrespected their SSgt and the ladies that lived there.

There were a few scenes that had some of the other vets and I in my group shaking our heads.

Overall, not bad.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought it was great. It had it's cliche moments(and what movie doesn't?),but I thought over all it was well done. You certainly couldn't fault the prop department. Amazing attention to the details.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Great movie....if for no other reason then Tiger 131!!!

Thought the fight between the Shermans and the Tiger was a little flaky though. A frontal assault on a Tiger 1 would be short a messy. And I don't see the Tiger leaving cover either. Why not stay where it was and just pick the M4s off....
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Great movie....if for no other reason then Tiger 131!!!

Thought the fight between the Shermans and the Tiger was a little flaky though. A frontal assault on a Tiger 1 would be short a messy. And I don't see the Tiger leaving cover either. Why not stay where it was and just pick the M4s off....
View Quote

Agreed.  I was a bit unhappy that the Shermans attacked together from the front.  If anything, Fury could have sat back and tried to pick it off with it's 76mm while the other two flanked from a distance.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No need for radios.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know the story was to have the crew make a last stand and die Alamo style but it would have been a
better plan to take the two turret mounted MG's (Ma Deuce and the .30 cal.) and set them a couple of
hundred yards away and use them as over-watch, raking anyone who got in the tanks blind spots.

No need for radios.

Plus, no Tripods. I can't imagine effectively engaging a target with a dismounted M2 without a tripod. .30...maybe but not a .50
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Plus, no Tripods. I can't imagine effectively engaging a target with a dismounted M2 without a tripod. .30...maybe but not a .50
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No need for radios.

Take the pintle mount off the turret, bury the bottom in the ground and reinforce with anything heavy.  Fence posts and commo wire.
Improvise, overcome, adapt.
If my ass is on the line I can get creative real quick.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:53:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Just got back from watching it.

I guess I'm not as apt to nitpick a movie.  I loved it.  I didn't even recognize the Transformers dude for the first 20 minutes or so, I thought he was gonna be the new guy.

As for the battle, I think that was the way to play it, the fighting tank in that ambush was the best way to take out as many as possible... the only man they could have spared would have been the driver, he could have been a 100 yards back with a .30 (but that would have really ruined the dynamic.)

I would have been pissed if they had magically gotten rescued or some stupid shit.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Saw the movie. Liked it but the scene in the German ladies' appartment pissed me off.

There were a few scenes that had some of the other vets and I in my group shaking our heads.

Overall, not bad.
View Quote

I had a lot of mixed feelings about that whole scene, but I suspect that was pretty much the point. But Overall I loved the movie. Some of the most intense scenes I've seen in a very long time!
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:11:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I am a spammer, I cannot stop myself, if you find me please bat in my noggin with a claw hammer.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
all can enjoy this movie by visiting the link below
View Quote

Not a good idea!
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 1:17:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Just watched it today. Thought it was pretty damn good. Will be buying it to add to the DVD war flick collection.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:17:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd like to see them do a prequel focusing on their exploits in Africa.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#15]

SPOILER ALERT!

The rape scene, and yes, it was a rape scene, pretty much ruined the movie for me.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

SPOILER ALERT!

The rape scene, and yes, it was a rape scene, pretty much ruined the movie for me.
View Quote

What rape scene?
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Overall, not bad.
View Quote

That and all the summary executions of Germans.  We were shocked at what happened at Malmedy. Yet here it's ok? I don't think so.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That and all the summary executions of Germans.  We were shocked at what happened at Malmedy. Yet here it's ok? I don't think so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Overall, not bad.

Were there more than two?  I saw one killed as a training tool and one killed because he has been killing the children.  Neither of which are the kind of organized war crime as what happened at Malmedy.

I don't remember a rape scene either.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I thought it had some good points and scenes along with a lot of just "Really....Really????" kind of scenes. The last stand in the tank being the biggest head shaker. In the real world that tank would have been dealt with in short order if not just bypassed and secured with a small contingent outside the tank just waiting the crew out.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Were there more than two?  I saw one killed as a training tool and one killed because he has been killing the children.  Neither of which are the kind of organized war crime as what happened at Malmedy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Overall, not bad.

The "training aid" had been captured wearing a US uniform item.

Do you really think that young hot Kraut chick was gently seduced?  

That whole scene just slaughtered the movie.  Fight like hell, lose all sorts of infantry guys and expend fuel and ammo.  Park the tank, go whore chasing, raping and egg licking.  No PMCS, no refuel/rearm, no security on the vehicle.  

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:46:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I watched it this past weekend.  It had some pretty good parts, but overall the movie was missing something.  The tracers in the movie looked like scenes from Star Wars.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That whole scene just slaughtered the movie.  Fight like hell, lose all sorts of infantry guys and expend fuel and ammo.  Park the tank, go whore chasing, raping and egg licking.  No PMCS, no refuel/rearm, no security on the vehicle.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Overall, not bad.

A movie of them PMCSing their vehicle isn't gonna be very popular. Someone who knows what it is would have assumed it happened, I did, people who don't wouldn't miss it.

I thought it was gonna BECOME a rape scene and it didn't.  The point of the scene was to put the Sgt above the rest of his crew, he just wanted a quiet dinner in a civilized environment. Even though he had obviously been super hardened by war he wanted a touch of civilization in his life, he was "better" than the others. The whole thing range very true to me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I watched it this past weekend.  It had some pretty good parts, but overall the movie was missing something.  The tracers in the movie looked like scenes from Star Wars.
View Quote
This. CGI abounds. I thought the tiger was 100% cgi. only now did I find out there was even a tank there.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Thought it was a good rental. Kind of mehhh... Might have to watch it again to see if I like it more.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This. CGI abounds. I thought the tiger was 100% cgi. only now did I find out there was even a tank there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Curious how you can say CGI abounds when you cannot tell the difference between a CGI Tiger and a real one...
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Curious how you can say CGI abounds when you cannot tell the difference between a CGI Tiger and a real one...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed, besides aircraft and shells, there was very little CGI used.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:41:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Just finished it on Blu Ray.  Decent movie, but way too many WTF moments...apartment scene absolutely detracted from the movie, and really felt out of place.  Gets 3 "mehs" out of 5.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:46:43 AM EDT
[#28]
I thought the Tiger looked CGI too.  Was surprised to find out it wasn't.

Good flick.  Don't want to spoil the movie, but I thought the end was too contrived.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:50:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Just finished it on Blu Ray.  Decent movie, but way too many WTF moments...apartment scene absolutely detracted from the movie, and really felt out of place.  Gets 3 "mehs" out of 5.
View Quote
I loved the movie and I thought the apartment scene really developed the characters. I give the movie two thumbs up.

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 3:21:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Finally saw it.  Way, way better than I was expecting.

Those that didn't understand the apartment scene, just won't ever understand.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 7:24:45 AM EDT
[#32]
I liked it.
Yea, the ending could have been better, but it was ok.
I don't buy a lot of movies, but I will buy this one.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 5:32:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Watched it twice now, and (minus the ending) it was even better the second time.

*SPOILER AHEAD - DON'T READ THE PARAGRAPH IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED THE FILM*

The only way the ending could potentially make sense is if it's a "karma" type situation, where the director felt

compelled to show the "kid" that his initial refusal to shoot the German soldier was the right move, seeing how

the soldier who spotted him under the tank didn't shoot him, or even alert anyone to his presence. Still, even

in this setting....the ending was a disappointment. It would have been much more interesting to see him die

with the rest of the original tank crew.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#34]
So many people seem to be under impression that the learning and changing regarding Norman was a one-way street - with. Norman becoming a killer and fitting in with the others. That is not at all what. I got out of the movie, but I swear it seems few, if any, others see it that way.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:38:56 PM EDT
[#35]
I finally watched Fury yesterday. It was way better thank I expected.
Shia surprisingly didn't ruin the movie. His acting was actually pretty good.
Yeah the last scene was far fetched but it didn't ruin the whole
movie for me.

ETA: there is some great stuff in that 86 page thread at the us miltaria forum
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:45:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
movie for me.
View Quote

It's really not far fetched. In Citizen Soldiers, Ambrose tells a story about (Let's see if I can remember the story) an LT during the Bulge that held the line against like 300 Germans with just a squad and a tank with a  30 cal. After they were all wounded and out of ammo, they were captured, relieved of their possessions, and blindfolded. The officer questioning him was being a total asshole, and the LT thought he was about to be shot. Too wounded to really give any real information, instead of killing him the German officer just whispered in his ear, "you and your men are very brave". And sent them to the rear.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's really not far fetched. In Citizen Soldiers, Ambrose tells a story about (Let's see if I can remember the story) an LT during the Bulge that held the line against like 300 Germans with just a squad and a tank with a  30 cal. After they were all wounded and out of ammo, they were captured, relieved of their possessions, and blindfolded. The officer questioning him was being a total asshole, and the LT thought he was about to be shot. Too wounded to really give any real information, instead of killing him the German officer just whispered in his ear, "you and your men are very brave". And sent them to the rear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
movie for me.

Wow! That's pretty cool. Thanks for the info. I need to read that book.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#38]
i have it on dvd, its a pretty good war flick
but

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Just  got home from seeing this.
Overall excellent film one of the best WWII films ever, very gritty, very realistic.
I was a Bradley Gunner in the Army and it felt very familiar.

The only scene I thought was off the mark was in the German women's apartment after the other crew members crash the dinner.
It was even awkward to watch and I kept wondering what the point was.  Okay the FNG fell in love and Aldo Raines just wanted a quiet meal, so...what?
They we all acting out of character in disrespecting their O'Captain, My Captain.  They became very unsympathetic.  
Brads feeble attempt's at containing his breakdowns (ala Captain Miller) were forced.
And I could have done with a little less Bible thumping.

But the combat pieces were nearly perfect.  LOVED them.  The Tiger duel will be remembered as THE highlight of this film. Exceptional in my opinion.

Possible anachronistic gun goof.  What were the grips of Brad's pistol made out of, glass?  I don't think Lexan was invented yet, maybe clear molded epoxy?

Great film.
8/10

A must have for my war films collection.
View Quote

I guess you have never been in combat.  Your anti-Christian attitude is disgusting.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I cannot remember what they were made of (an early clear plastic if I remember correctly), but there were private purchase grips just like that during the war.  I've seen a couple of original examples with pics of loved ones under them.

From what I read, in the original (director's?) cut that was about 4 hours long, we see Wardaddy drive drunk and kill his wife/gf in a car wreck.  The judge tells him he can either rot in prison or go die for his country.  The photos we see in his pistol grips are of his wife/gf that we never saw in the theatrical cut.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[b]
Possible anachronistic gun goof.  What were the grips of Brad's pistol made out of, glass?  I don't think Lexan was invented yet, maybe clear molded epoxy?

Plexiglass from a downed aircraft or glider?

I cannot remember what they were made of (an early clear plastic if I remember correctly), but there were private purchase grips just like that during the war.  I've seen a couple of original examples with pics of loved ones under them.

From what I read, in the original (director's?) cut that was about 4 hours long, we see Wardaddy drive drunk and kill his wife/gf in a car wreck.  The judge tells him he can either rot in prison or go die for his country.  The photos we see in his pistol grips are of his wife/gf that we never saw in the theatrical cut.

Yep, my Grandfather replaced the grips on the Luger he took possesion of with plexiglass or whatever...and I bought a bring back FN-22 from a family friend whose father did the same thing...was a popular look at the time apparently....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top