Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2014 8:29:01 AM EDT
Just saw blackfish on netflix, holy f***ing crap.  

I will possibly never see a zoo or any kind of animal park the same way ever again, and that sucks because I love animals..  

I do realize a lot of this is mere propaganda, but there must be some shred of truth to it...

If this how we go about teaching the future generations about animals then maybe we shouldn't be teaching them at all...

Link Posted: 3/17/2014 8:30:39 AM EDT
[#1]
orcas with flopped over dorsals are sad sea pandas
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#2]

As if this animal would enjoy living its life in a swimming pool for science and plush toys
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 8:42:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Got a little teary eyed watching it
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 10:12:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

So did I, it was a tad heartbreaking..
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
http://youtu.be/vbh6qg8H3CY

As if this animal would enjoy living its life in a swimming pool for science and plush toys
View Quote

Damn they fast!  I don't think I'd be as excited as them, more like a smile with gritted teeth and clenched butthole.  A pack of them could easily knock a 20' boat and send them into the water where the orcas would be tossing them like seals.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 6:43:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The Mrs/ and I are big animal fans... we can't watch any of the NATGEO shows anymore. We can't take the "futility" of most of this stuff. Ends mostly the same way, animal(s) dead.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So did I, it was a tad heartbreaking..

The Mrs/ and I are big animal fans... we can't watch any of the NATGEO shows anymore. We can't take the "futility" of most of this stuff. Ends mostly the same way, animal(s) dead.

I hear you there, I watch them to see the animals that is it, I try not to read into the whole "we" are killing off the animal propaganda....
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 5:46:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I will possibly never see a zoo or any kind of animal park the same way ever again, and that sucks because I love animals..  

I do realize a lot of this is mere propaganda, but there must be some shred of truth to it...

If this how we go about teaching the future generations about animals then maybe we shouldn't be teaching them at all...

View Quote

i understand the movie, but at the end when everybody was stating all the things that went wrong when she was doing the act and how they seen tilikum getting frustrated, i was thinking why did she not prepare or catch that like the other trainers did.

also the part about the scientist lady talking about spreading tilikums genes to half of the whales in seaworld, like they will all be born with the taste for human blood.  didnt need that.

but undoubtedly the movies has a very biased opinion and trying to make the environment look as bad as they need it to to fullfill that agenda.

i dont know nothing about the inner workings of searworld and big animal zoo attractions and im certain that its definitely can be as bad as they try to make it out to be. but it was a little to much for me.

its a great movie. im just an equal opportunity skeptic.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

i understand the movie, but at the end when everybody was stating all the things that went wrong when she was doing the act and how they seen tilikum getting frustrated, i was thinking why did she not prepare or catch that like the other trainers did.

also the part about the scientist lady talking about spreading tilikums genes to half of the whales in seaworld, like they will all be born with the taste for human blood.  didnt need that.

but undoubtedly the movies has a very biased opinion and trying to make the environment look as bad as they need it to to fullfill that agenda.

i dont know nothing about the inner workings of searworld and big animal zoo attractions and im certain that its definitely can be as bad as they try to make it out to be. but it was a little to much for me.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree the bit about Tilikum's genes spreading the taste of human blood was a bit unnecessary and ignorant...  
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 12:23:10 PM EDT
[#10]
http://www.cracked.com/article_20957_6-awful-realities-behind-scenes-at-seaworld.html/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=fanpage&utm_campaign=new+article&wa_ibsrc=fanpage

Holy crap Seaworld has a history of animal abuse?

Mind blown
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
http://www.cracked.com/article_20957_6-awful-realities-behind-scenes-at-seaworld.html/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=fanpage&utm_campaign=new+article&wa_ibsrc=fanpage

Holy crap Seaworld has a history of animal abuse?

Mind blown
View Quote

I agree with you, but cracked is complete bullshit. Don't trust that website for anything.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:29:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Watch this and you will have less sympathy

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 11:25:24 AM EDT
[#13]
The lies of omission included in the film really turn me off...

Killer whales can live to be 65 years old! But at Seaworld they only live to 35!... (And in the wild they only live to their late 20s).

That they try to portray themselves as being without an overt agenda, but they all were plantiffs in the suit to push for declaring all cetaceans as sentient beings and thus having the same rights as mankind.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:50:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Watch this and you will have less sympathy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPfqe00lz-o

View Quote

Didn't actually watch the video, I take it?  Or maybe my sarcasm meter is busted.

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:16:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 9:08:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 7:39:31 AM EDT
[#17]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRX5A1y3Er8

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076504/ from 1977

As far as Blackfish goes... It was ok. I enjoyed it.

Just know it was made to sway you to there side.
Animal trainers, and places like SeaWorld.
Are like everything, and everyone. There are some good, some bad. But people like to focus on the bad. And afew bad people make a hole lot of good people look bad.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 12:53:27 AM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 6:47:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I had to watch it for my environmental science class a couple weeks ago.

A bit biased of a documentary, but damn was it powerful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top