Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2013 3:39:20 PM EDT
DirectTV went above what I was willing to pay and dropped it and went back to an antenna.  I get 38 clear English speaking channels and my wife misses the DVR function and is looking to get it back.  I have seen a few OTA capable DVR units but am unsure who to look for.

Anyone running a home antenna with a OTA capable DVR?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
DirectTV went above what I was willing to pay and dropped it and went back to an antenna.  I get 38 clear English speaking channels and my wife misses the DVR function and is looking to get it back.  I have seen a few OTA capable DVR units but am unsure who to look for.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

This would seem to be your best option:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-HDD-and-DVD-Recorder-with-Digital-Tuner-1TB/20710259
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:46:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in the same boat as you and haven't found anything approaching a decent capability at a decent price.  My theory is the cable companies put a ton of pressure on consumer manufacturers not to release a halfway decent OTA DVR.  I'm about to take an old PC and throw a tuner card in it and do it that way, the reviews of every recorder I've seen have been shit.  The Tivo units get a good rep, but I'll be damned if I am paying a monthly or annual fee to them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm in the same boat as you and haven't found anything approaching a decent capability at a decent price.  My theory is the cable companies put a ton of pressure on consumer manufacturers not to release a halfway decent OTA DVR.  I'm about to take an old PC and throw a tuner card in it and do it that way, the reviews of every recorder I've seen have been shit.  The Tivo units get a good rep, but I'll be damned if I am paying a monthly or annual fee to them.
View Quote

Yep..  Not really interested in paying $15 a month for TiVO..
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Windows 7, Media player seems to be able to capture programming from my cable provider.
The tuner card I am using has provision for recording digital ota channels as well.
I haven't tried it, occasionally the computer crashes but not too often.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Windows 7, Media player seems to be able to capture programming from my cable provider.
The tuner card I am using has provision for recording digital ota channels as well.
I haven't tried it, occasionally the computer crashes but not too often.
View Quote

I do all of my recording through a win 7 box, with a Hauppauge PVR-2250 tuner in it.

It works VERY well.

Link Posted: 10/4/2013 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can buy a TIVO and get the lifetime subscription option.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.

This would seem to be your best option:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-HDD-and-DVD-Recorder-with-Digital-Tuner-1TB/20710259

I like my Magnavox, but they don't do HiDef.  All you want to know about this product is at http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575

Your other option is a CHannel Master previously known as a DTVPal    not sure what's going on with their current production...http://www.channelmaster.com/Set_Top_Boxes_Antenna_DVR_Subscription_Free_DVR_s/40.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top