Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2013 9:09:52 PM EDT
I saw it tonight with the wife.  Absolutely amazing.  Highly recommended.  A must see
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 7:33:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Saw 'Pacific Rim' yesterday afternoon and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I don't know if I would use the term "amazing", but it was very good and well-worth the money.  It's certainly a must-see for sci-fi fans, but the general public is going to need some convincing.  I wish they had tweaked the ad campaign to attract more than just the fanboys because I'd really like to see original films like these bring in some big box office numbers so the studios would be encouraged to finance more original material.

PROS

Monsters & robots, duh!

Well-executed fight scenes.  Unlike Transformers, you can actually tell what's going on.

The penultimate fight scene is one of the coolest things I've ever seen on film.

The special effects are top-shelf.

Most questions about the plot are explained, such as: Why giant robots? Why not just blow up the rift? Why are the kaiju attacking? And so on...

Fairly plausible plot (as far as a giant-robots-battling-monsters-from-another-dimension movie is concerned).

Idris Elba is great.  Charlie Day is funny.  Ron Perlman is his usual scene-chewing self.

CONS

The lead actor doesn't measure up to the rest of the cast.

Some of the other characters are paper-thin.  When they die, you don't find yourself caring one way or the other.

The dialogue is really hammy.  "You need to ask yourself - would you rather die here, or would you rather DIE IN A JAEGER!?!?!?!?"

Check it out.

Link Posted: 7/13/2013 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#2]
The reviews of this are very mixed.

They visual experience and the story are supposedly very good.

The acting supposedly sucks so much you can't enjoy the other two.
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#3]
The acting is not that bad.  It's a really fun movie and my son and I enjoyed it a lot.
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 5:08:49 PM EDT
[#4]
It is quite predictable but still fucking awesome! It does need more slo-mo fights and daylight battles.
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#5]
The acting and the dialogue was fucking corny as shit, but my God, what an awesome movie to see.

I knew going into the movie it was going to have bad acting, bad dialogue and a bunch of massive robots punching sea monsters so I wasn't disappointed in the least bit!!  

It's a great 'turn your brain off' movie with lots of great action.  See it, it was fucking better than that turd Lone Ranger.
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I took my son to see it on Thursday night - we both enjoyed it. If you are going to see it, turn your adult brain off and turn on the brain you had when you were a kid that just enjoyed life for what it was and wasn't so critical and analytical as the brain you have now. Action and visual effects are great, acting and plot are corny but who cares - I knew going into it that this was a movie about giant robots beating the shit out of giant monsters, nothing more, nothing less. The movie more that delivered on that expectation.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#7]
GIANT ROBOTS SMASHING GIANT MONSTERS!
RAWR!
Even the Hulk would approve!

Fun movie and I'll absolutely take the kids to check it out...
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#8]
It was great in IMAX 3D
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 8:55:35 PM EDT
[#10]
It is what it is. Transformers vs. Godzilla.

It was awesome!
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is what it is. Transformers vs. Godzilla.

It was awesome!
View Quote

shit yeah I thought it was killer. I used the very same comparison a few times myself. I tell people if you like those films or giant monster movies you will like it.

on another note they are making another Godzilla movie.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 2:37:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Just watched it.  It's one of those "turn your brain off and enjoy" type of movies.

+1 to:

CONS
The lead actor doesn't measure up to the rest of the cast.
View Quote

After seeing him on Sons of Anarchy, I've always thought he was a terrible actor.

Link Posted: 10/5/2013 5:24:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Am I the only one that thought it was horrible? Acting was terrible, special effects were average. I'll admit, some of the fight scenes were pretty awesome. And I did turn the adult brain off(when is it ever on??) and still thought it wasn't worth seeing.

I mean, the Jaegers all should have been equipped with swords or blades. I forget which battle it was, but the main character is getting his ass kicked, another Jaeger is disabled or destroyed and then he has the bright idea to finally use his arm blades and the giant monster gets made into lean cuts didn't he think it would have been better to start out with your best weapon? Also, who's great idea was it to put the pilots in the head, the most vulnerable spot?

I'll also agree Idris Elba is an awesome actor. Absolutely great in Prometheus.
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Is their only open really to massive robots?  I'm sure they could have devised some other weapon.

Also, they can create the technology to mind meld or whatever but they still have hydraulics in the Jaegers?
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Am I the only one that thought it was horrible? Acting was terrible, special effects were average. I'll admit, some of the fight scenes were pretty awesome. And I did turn the adult brain off(when is it ever on??) and still thought it wasn't worth seeing.

I mean, the Jaegers all should have been equipped with swords or blades. I forget which battle it was, but the main character is getting his ass kicked, another Jaeger is disabled or destroyed and then he has the bright idea to finally use his arm blades and the giant monster gets made into lean cuts didn't he think it would have been better to start out with your best weapon? Also, who's great idea was it to put the pilots in the head, the most vulnerable spot?

View Quote

Pilots in the head a design flaw? I suppose you want to put tank commanders in the hull to protect them too.
Just kidding! Maybe they will address this in the sequel.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Pilots in the head a design flaw? I suppose you want to put tank commanders in the hull to protect them too.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's all good. With tanks they need to be able to see. But with the Jaegers it looked like they had all kinds of camera feeds that made up a display for them. If this is the case, why couldn't they be situated in the chest and keep the external camera feeds?

Link Posted: 10/6/2013 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is kind of surprising to hear, given your location. I thought it kinda sucked too and it didn't do that well here in the US. It made up a lot of lost ground overseas though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 9:36:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
This is kind of surprising to hear, given your location. I thought it kinda sucked too and it didn't do that well here in the US. It made up a lot of lost ground overseas though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol I'm not Japanese, just stationed here on deployment for the moment. You'll see it switch back to California when we head back to Camp Pendleton in a few months.

Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:22:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's all good. With tanks they need to be able to see. But with the Jaegers it looked like they had all kinds of camera feeds that made up a display for them. If this is the case, why couldn't they be situated in the chest and keep the external camera feeds?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a film for kids and the adults who can watch the film with their inner child alive. The Gamera and Godzilla movies were deeply flawed too but I still enjoy watching them. Picking it apart is not the way to watch it.
F***, it has Ron Perlman cutting himself out of a monster!
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:33:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It is a film for kids and the adults who can watch the film with their inner child alive. The Gamera and Godzilla movies were deeply flawed too but I still enjoy watching them. Picking it apart is not the way to watch it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  

I cant watch movies with people who pick apart every little detail.  It drives me crazy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

Special effects were average? People these days are spoiled by CGI! Not that long ago the monsters would have all been stop-motion models.

Link Posted: 10/8/2013 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The acting and the dialogue was fucking corny as shit, but my God, what an awesome movie to see.

I knew going into the movie it was going to have bad acting, bad dialogue and a bunch of massive robots punching sea monsters so I wasn't disappointed in the least bit!!  

It's a great 'turn your brain off' movie with lots of great action.  See it, it was fucking better than that turd Lone Ranger.
View Quote
The acting wasn't that bad for essentially a bunch of no-names, and better than a lot of action movies, Independence Day and the Expendables for instance.  Probably because I didn't expect much out of a bunch of unknown actors.

I like the fact that it wasn't saddled with any love stories, it didn't spend half the movie talking about the characters' pasts, and it was FUCKING AWESOME!

The only issue I had with it is that the music gets repetitive, REALLY repetitive.

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Rented it last night to watch with my boys.  I was a big Godzilla/King Kong fan as a kid so it brought back memories.  The kids loved it and I thought it was good except for the same song playing for two hours.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Good movie, TERRIBLE acting all the way around.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 7:08:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Saw it last night in 3D. Really well done!  Many aspects were straight out of Manga- simplified characters, besides the obvious (giant robots). I'm somewhat amused by the comments about lack of depth in the characters, because there usually isn't much of that there. Maybe years of reading Manga prepared me well for this.

I loved the concept of the Drift. Every frame in this movie was perfectly composed and created.

Totally fun. The 3D was really impressive.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:12:23 AM EDT
[#27]
The blu ray is nice because you can just fast forward to all the giant robot on giant monster battles.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:20:16 AM EDT
[#28]
What, am I the only one who noticed GladOS in it?  

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:58:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Woo hoo! (kinda)

Sequel is being written... but still awaiting studio green light.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Woo hoo! (kinda)

View Quote

Horrible news.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 4:34:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Who needs a sequel when you have Atlantic Rim!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhGyGcxvXNw

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Horrible news.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Woo hoo! (kinda)

Horrible news.

Sorry someone will make you watch it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Just saw it the other night.
I liked it.
I thought the special effects were great!
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 11:23:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I thought the movie was going to suck, and that was the prediction as far as everyone I talked to, I watch a TON of movies on demand to be honest with you, and this surprised the hell out of me in terms of enjoyability. I watch SOA so I like Charlie Hunnam, and I like Iris Eldba (sp*) so I really didn't have a serious issue with the acting. Worth watching for sure, very entertaining, not gonna win any awards or anything but enjoyable. You can even watch it with your kids (I do not have children, I am in college) but there wasn't sex or drugs or anything. Entertaining flick.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#35]
del Torro, giant robots, giant monsters. Should have been awesome.It was merely ok. It's possible the sequel could be better, hey it occasionally happens. There's a lot of possibility here in the concept/creative director combo here.

I think alot of people were like me and we're just expecting a lot more from del Torro.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#36]
I did not like it and would not recommend it to anyone.  

The special effects were fine but that could not save this movie.  It seemed like nothing more than "Transformers Meets Godzilla" without men in rubber monster suits - they used CGI, instead of rubber suits.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I didn't think I was going to like it but after seeing it last night, I'm glad I did.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Finally got around to watching it on HBO. What a fun little movie. Also exemplifies how much a good director like del Toro matters. That could have been really bad in less competent hands (Bay).

Totally jacked for Godzilla now!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top