Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2010 10:29:40 AM EDT
Okay, first off: as a life member, I am beta testing a new search feature for Goatboy, and I can only go back 30 days.  So I did a 30 day search for the keywords "White Out" and got no results.  If there is anything within 90 days then go ahead and lock this I guess, but I did search to the best of my current ability with the new engine.

Now that I have dispensed with that, here is my review of WHITE OUT.

TWO THUMBS DOWN.

I turned it off about half way through, because I couldn't stand all the politically correct bullshit going on in this movie.

What PC bullshit, you ask?

The kind that requires the hero cop to be a young female.

Now don't get me wrong, I am all in favor of hero cops being young females.  I love strong women in all kinds of action film roles - most notably Linda Hamilton ("Sarah Connor") in the TERMINATOR movies.  So no, I am not sexist.

However, I do ask that if you are going to cast a female in a leading protagonist role in any film involving a lot of action, especially when it involves guns, please make sure she is able to portray this action in a believable manner.

And this is where I turned WHITE OUT off last night: the scene where the hero cop (Kate Beckinsale) confronts a murder suspect standing five feet away from her.  She is holding him at gunpoint, with her Glock in her strong hand and a flashlight in her weak hand supporting the strong hand.  All well and good, that particular piece of gun handling.  But then, SHE TURNS SIDEWAYS, TAKING HER EYES OFF THE SUSPECT, TO CHAT WITH A MAN NEXT TO HER who has been accompanying her during the search.

Yeah, there's a guy running around burying axes in people's skulls, he MIGHT be the guy standing right in front of me five feet away, so I am going to take my eyes off of him to turn my head sideways to talk to another guy while holding him at gunpoint.  Brilliant.  Thank you very much.  Let me have the remote control please.  CLICK!

WHITE OUT started out with a very interesting premise: a murderer is loose in a scientific research station at the South Pole, and no one knows who it is.  This plot idea is worthy of the best work of Alfred Hitchcock, and could have easily risen to that level if it had been executed right.

However, it then proceeds to take this interesting plot idea and blow it.  There is way too much cutesy-smarmy PC lingo going on in this film, and it undermines any real impact it could have had.  (Maybe left wing liberals are into this shit and would have liked it?  Who knows).

One of the great things about Linda Hamilton in the TERMINATOR films is that she was very believable in those roles.

As far as Kate Beckinsale in WHITE OUT, she is just mouthing her lines, going through the motions with no real passion, and her whole performance is kind of "phoned in."

But watching this movie made me realize something else too.

That being, I am getting old.

Hollywood doesn't make movies for people like me anymore - people who expect quality.

This kind of pap is marketed to the under-30 crowd, many of whom don't know what a quality film even is anymore.

How terribly sad.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 11:14:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I liked the movie. It kept me interested all the way through. The movie wasn't slow.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 2:59:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought it was okay. Not one I'll watch again, though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#4]
it seemed pretty slow to me. the plot had potential. i was happy when it finally ended
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Hollywood doesn't make movies for people like me anymore - people who expect quality.

This kind of pap is marketed to the under-30 crowd, many of whom don't know what a quality film even is anymore.

How terribly sad.

Amen!, brother.  They just remake old films and comic books.  The film industry is leaving Hollywood.  Really, perhaps, it has already left.  What they are putting out is mostly crap.
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Hollywood has totally gotten into the PC idea that a 5' 8" 100 pound woman can totally kick the butt of a 6' 2" 200 pound tough guy.
In today's Hollywood the women are acting like tough men and the men are acting like shrinking women.

I occasionally entertain myself with visions of Jonny Dep or another one of today's metrosexual wimps attempting to star in a movie with John Wayne, Humphrey Bogart, or Jimmy Cagney.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How terribly sad.

Amen!, brother.  They just remake old films and comic books.  The film industry is leaving Hollywood.  Really, perhaps, it has already left.  What they are putting out is mostly crap.

Which is exactly what White Out was.

Link Posted: 3/29/2010 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#8]
It was alright, nothing to brag about and nothing to get your panties in a twist about, jeez.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 11:41:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

How terribly sad.

Precisely the point.
Link Posted: 3/30/2010 8:05:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How terribly sad.

Precisely the point.

Well... at least they used a lesser known title.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top