Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2017 6:41:30 PM EDT
Charlie Johnson has a blog: "The Next Right Step." He's come out of voluntary retirement to write this article. It's worth a read.

the money quote:

So leaders on the right and among Christian communities make shows of good will, which do not lead the left to live by objective standards of justice, but persuade it that its shrieking hysteria is winning. Historically, there are only three ways stability is restored when a culture has reached this level of division and volatility. Either the aggressors stand down their violent rhetoric and riots (very rare), society cracks down on the aggressors with sufficient vigor to put an end to the offenses and sufficient restraint to let them re-integrate into lawful behavior without triggering opposite abuses (rarely well-calibrated), or widespread violent strife or revolution comes, to be contained ultimately by some level of dictatorial power.
View Quote
The New Barbarism is the Old Normal

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#1]
History doth repeateth.

ETA there are dozens of sigline worthy lines in that blog, but the exegesis on Fatima tales it slightly into the weeds.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:54:47 AM EDT
[#2]
ETA there are dozens of sigline worthy lines in that blog, but the exegesis on Fatima tales it slightly into the weeds.
View Quote
Yep! told ya it had a definite Catholic bent!

still...whole lotta historical truth there.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:46:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Well done. I came to similar but less complete or well stated conclusions after reading another book this year. A friend gave me a worn copy of A Distant Mirror, The Calamitous 14th Century (1978) by Barbara Tuchman. Everything that happened in France in the 1300s is essentially paralleled in our modern times, except 'the plague', although one could argue that 'abortion' or some other collection of modern atrocities was its equal as well.

Ecclesiastes 1:9 What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:40:52 AM EDT
[#4]
EXCELLENT, TWIRE! Great insights there with Tuchman. She's a great writer. (She got me hooked with her "Guns of August.") No Kindle for this old dog--I'll get me a hard copy of her The Distant Mirror and see the parallels. Many thanks, Brother!

...wars, wars...endless wars....(sound familiar?)
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:01:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for sharing this.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:41:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for sharing this.
View Quote
You're very much welcome, Another-Bill. Charlie Johnson is pretty astute--former media guru, radio/TV expert, political consultant. He knows a heck of a lot! Tells it like it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top