Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2017 2:16:54 PM EDT
A person heading to prison requested a soft cover Catholic bible. What is the mainstream versions for Catholics? The girl did not request anything other than a soft cover Catholic bible. I am guessing something on the cheap side so as not to bring attention to her.

All I know is King James version but isn't that a Christian version or is there a difference?

Obviously, I am ignorant on this subject and need guidance from those in the know.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#1]
New American Bible (NAB), St. Joseph, New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

NRSV is my preference but any would be acceptable.

ETA: Yes, there are differences but that is loooooooooooong explanation.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks very much. You gave me a good starting point.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Douay-Rheims
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:47:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Douay-Rheims
View Quote
Douay-Rheims with commentary by Fr. Haydock.  Also known, as a Haydock study bible.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1885692110?tag=vglnk-c102-20

I've been meaning to get one of these for years now, so I just pulled the trigger on this.  Thanks for the reminder, ha!  God Bless
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Revised Standard Version Second Catholic Edition, from Ignatius Press (which was founded by a Jesuit priest who seems to delight in pissing off his fellow Jesuits, which is a very worth task).

It's basically an update of an update of the D-R.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revised_Standard_Version_Catholic_Edition

Same great translation, but they dropped some of the "archaic" language. Makes for an easier read, and was used by Scott Hahn and Curtis Mitch in a great study Bible.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 5:56:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for your help and concern for this lady; much appreciated. HOPE and PRAYERS to her.

Here's a list straight from the horses' (er, Bishops') mouths:

What follows is a complete list of the translations of the Sacred Scriptures that have received the approval of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops since 1983.      

In addition to the translations listed below, any translation of the Sacred Scriptures that has received proper ecclesiastical approval namely, by the Apostolic See or a local ordinary prior to 1983, or by the Apostolic See or an episcopal conference following 1983 may be used by the Catholic faithful for private prayer and study.  

Books of the New Testament, Alba House

Contemporary English Version - New Testament, First Edition, American Bible Society

Contemporary English Version - Book of Psalms, American Bible Society

Contemporary English Version - Book of Proverbs, American Bible Society

The Grail Psalter (Inclusive Language Version), G.I.A. Publications

New American Bible, Revised Edition (NABRE)

New Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition, National Council of Churches

The Psalms, Alba House

The Psalms (New International Version) - St. Joseph Catholic Edition, Catholic Book Publishing Company

The Psalms - St. Joseph New Catholic Version, Catholic Book Publishing Company

Revised Psalms of the New American Bible (1991)

So You May Believe, A Translation of the Four Gospels, Alba House

Today's English Version, Second Edition, American Bible Society
View Quote
Approved Bibles--Catholics

P.S.
There are many excellent Catholic PRISON MINISTRIES. I know a friend who conducts them in both state and federal prisons. Mention that to her. It is a tremendous help to prisoners.

Also, mention that she should indicate "CATHOLIC" on her religious preference on any and all intake sheets and forms. GOD BLESS!

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top