Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2017 4:49:27 PM EDT
I was raised Episcopalian, my family on both sides have been active in the church for a long time.  I stopped going in my early 20's for no reason in particular, I just had better things to do I guess.  

I'm in my mid 30's now, married with kids.  My wife and I wanted to get back into going again.  We bounced back and forth between a couple of different ones.  She was raised southern baptist and the Episcopal church didn't really appeal to her.  We compromised on Methodist, getting married at one and going to a few services.  It was pretty good, but I missed having family with me at services.  So we went back to my family church and I gotta say so far we've been pretty happy with it.  I prefer the sermons of the Methodist minister more, but it's good to be going back and raising our kids to follow God.  My wife is even going to teach vacation bible school with my mom this summer.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Good work!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm Catholic and my girl friend goes to a "non-denominational" read: Baptist church with 17 giant TVs, a rock band and a stage where the preacher is like a Vegas show. Boy that dog don't hunt with this Catholic boy. We are having issues as she is really into it and I'm equally not.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:39:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad you are in Church.

Have you accepted Christ as your savior?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:43:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Just left the Methodist church after about 40 years. Did you know that the Methodist church is going to do gay marriages and also is petitioning the Trump administration for open borders.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm Catholic and my girl friend goes to a "non-denominational" read: Baptist church with 17 giant TVs, a rock band and a stage where the preacher is like a Vegas show. Boy that dog don't hunt with this Catholic boy. We are having issues as she is really into it and I'm equally not.
View Quote
I see this all the time with inter-faith marriages, there are exceptions of course.  My youngest sister married a non-denom who's mother has Mennonite background.  She has expressed the same sentiment in the past.  At the same time, my favorite priest (recently transferred out of state) has a sister who is married to a Jewish man, and he has proven everyone wrong about that situation.

Follow your instinct, but be prepared that she may never see the truth in the matter because she can't look at things like this objectively.  She likely thinks that worship is supposed to "feel good" when that isn't always the case.  That's the problem I have with the Catholic charismatic movement, which is rather abruptly showing up in parishes all over my diocese.  

Nothing like listening to a guy who can barely play a drum set pound away during a Creed.  It's just terrible, not to mention against decree.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I see this all the time with inter-faith marriages, there are exceptions of course.  My youngest sister married a non-denom who's mother has Mennonite background.  She has expressed the same sentiment in the past.  At the same time, my favorite priest (recently transferred out of state) has a sister who is married to a Jewish man, and he has proven everyone wrong about that situation.

Follow your instinct, but be prepared that she may never see the truth in the matter because she can't look at things like this objectively.  She likely thinks that worship is supposed to "feel good" when that isn't always the case.  That's the problem I have with the Catholic charismatic movement, which is rather abruptly showing up in parishes all over my diocese.  

Nothing like listening to a guy who can barely play a drum set pound away during a Creed.  It's just terrible, not to mention against decree.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:53:03 AM EDT
[#7]
EXTREMELY happy for ya, jollyg83! Good for you.

A personal relationship with JESUS to me is like a poured concrete foundation about 10,000 feet thick, with arc-welded titanium rebars throughout!

...did I mention ROCK-SOLID!

you can't go far wrong when your base is solid, no sir!

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
EXTREMELY happy for ya, jollyg83! Good for you.

A personal relationship with JESUS to me is like a poured concrete foundation about 10,000 feet thick, with arc-welded titanium rebars throughout!

...did I mention ROCK-SOLID!

you can't go far wrong when your base is solid, no sir!

https://achristian.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/cornerstone.gif
View Quote
Amen Sir

Building on a Solid Foundation
24 “Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock.
25 Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is built on bedrock.
26 But anyone who hears my teaching and doesn’t obey it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on sand.
27 When the rains and floods come and the winds beat against that house, it will collapse with a mighty crash.”
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's tough to go from sacred  worship to production worship.
If you love this girl be patient with her. Stay firm in your faith and don't be negative towards hers. She's probably been fed a steady stream of misguided crap about Catholicism. Also pray.
My daughter is going through some of the same things but the influences are strong.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:16:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you love this girl be patient with her. Stay firm in your faith and don't be negative towards hers. She's probably been fed a steady stream of misguided crap about Catholicism. Also pray.
My daughter is going through some of the same things but the influences are strong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have agreed to respect one another's religious beliefs and to never say any negative things as well.
She went to mass Sunday with me, a very reverant traditional mass and she enjoyed it, also she didn't know the mass is performed everyday. She said she would like to go there on her own durning the week, but the bigger issue is that if we were to get married it wouldn't be blessed in the Catholic church and we can't receive communion.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Good on you OP!
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

We have agreed to respect one another's religious beliefs and to never say any negative things as well.
She went to mass Sunday with me, a very reverant traditional mass and she enjoyed it, also she didn't know the mass is performed everyday. She said she would like to go there on her own durning the week, but the bigger issue is that if we were to get married it wouldn't be blessed in the Catholic church and we can't receive communion.
View Quote
Why would it not be blessed in the Catholic church?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are both divorced.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top